i've been playing guitar for about 3 years now. i'm a metalhead, like it's pretty much all i listen too, but i can't stand playing it. its just gets repetitive really fast and i get bored. i like to play stuff like Andy Mckee, Antoine Dufour, Don Ross, you know, fingerpicking stuff. does anyone else in the pit love listening to metal, but hate playing it?
Haha, funny. I'm mostly a metalhead too and a couple months ago I pretty much stopped playing electric, picked up the acoustic, and started playing fingerstyle stuff like Andy Mckee.

But I'm back with electric now. Still play the acoustic too.

Why don't you just play what you like?
Somewhat similar. I would say 80% of the music I listen to is metal. I play metal, but I play other stuff too.

Metal doesn't have to be boring. You can make it interesting you know.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Quote by psss
I listen to it but never play it. its nice to listen sometimes but boring to play, your right. I personally got off the whole metal head way just by hanging around with some guys who blindly think metal is the only genre to listen to. sad in a way lol

yeah this is what im doin right now. its kind of sad that they think that.
I play more than i listen to, But at the same time i play dire-straits, So go figure?
Lol
B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST. (modded)
Gibson les paul studio, Re-finished
Crate Bv120 half stack
Boss BCB-60 Pb
Dunlop, Cry baby Wah-Wah
Boss Ds-1
Boss Dlues driver
Boss Giga delay.

Dark side of the moon < The wall
Metals been the same since the 80s.

Only with, you know, tons of changes.

Make your own badass fusion of metal and other stuff then to bring some excitement to it.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
I really doubt you can play like andy Mckee Ts. I apologize if I'm wrong but I just doubt it.
Quote by Monolith295
Only with, you know, tons of changes.

Make your own badass fusion of metal and other stuff then to bring some excitement to it.

Fine different tunings and some double bass.

Regardless the basic elements dont change much.
I play a lot of metal songs which I don't normally listen to.

That's because some of the songs are technically difficult, but I don't necessarily like the sound of them.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Fine different tunings and some double bass.

Regardless the basic elements dont change much.

Yeah..... you're right.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
I listen to more metal than anything, and I agree that metal is very repetitive and easy to play, but I still mostly only play metal songs on an electric. Fingerpicking, to me, is the hardest thing to do and I never learned how to properly do it, and even though metal is the easiest thing to do, somehow it impresses people more, yet if I could play Hotel California (which is pretty much impossible to me) in front of my friends, they would just laugh at me and tell me I suck

But metal still never gets boring no matter how easy it is for me, or at least the fast stuff. Maybe Danzig and Judas Priest can get boring after loads of playing, but Testament and Kreator is always fun
well just what metal are you listening to? alot of thrash metal has very complicated riffs so if you find other stuff too boring i'd check that stuff out.

bands like
Slayer
Metallica
Pantera
Children of Bodom
Megadeth
King Diamond
Dethklok
Judas Priest

have alot of good riffs, theyre not all thrash but they all have at least somewhat complicated riffs.
Viking/Folk Metal Group <--Join!
Quote by telemonster
I dont get the whole EMO thing.....kinda like vountering to get your ass kicked.

Quote by Night_Lights
What idiot puts Randy Rhoads and Dimebag above Hendrix in any guitar list?
Quote by Guitarlord44
well they were both better than hendrix
I try to play and listen to as much as possible. The more you expose yourself to, the less stagnant it gets.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
pretty much all metal bores me, and i play a lot of fingerpicking on my acoustic. but now that ive got my electric i play different stuff. fingerpicking is fun.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Play what you love, love what you play?

Who said that, but that should apply here
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
I honestly don't give a damn what I play. If it's fun to play, it's fun to play. It doesn't have to be any certain genre.
depends what kind of metal you play. power metal never gets boring for me. even better is melodic death metal like ensiferum.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise