I'm on a limited budget (<$400 total), but I'm planning to buy a Roland Cube 30x ($250); I liked the amp with one exception: I could do with more distortion/gain.

What is the best way to overcome this problem?

Would a <$100 pedal give me the extra boost if I wanted to play with gratuitious amounts of gain?

Or is it wiser to invest that $100 on an amp that fits my wants, if so, does anyone have any recommendations?
i dont know how much gain you define as gratutitous, but the cubes had heaps of gain more than i could ever use. with a ss modeller amp there wont be a pedal to boost it that sounds good. and for under 400 there isnt an amp to give you more gain than a cube would.
I'm surprised that's not enough gain for you. Maybe look for ampeg vh140c used, those have gobs of gain.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Could this probably be in part because I was using a Roland Cube 15 as that's all the guy at guitar center would set up?
Quote by enalsisiht
i dont know how much gain you define as gratutitous, but the cubes had heaps of gain more than i could ever use. with a ss modeller amp there wont be a pedal to boost it that sounds good. and for under 400 there isnt an amp to give you more gain than a cube would.

False about how NO pedal would make ANY SS modeler sound good.
True about the cube having enough gain.

Serious, the pedal is pretty much a "modeler" in the fact that pedals dont actually boost an amp, they just kind of add on, and yes, I've played some pretty bamf pedals through cubes and was very surprised how well it sounded.
Quote by Discgolf
Could this probably be in part because I was using a Roland Cube 15 as that's all the guy at guitar center would set up?

The 30X's technology is better than the 15's.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Discgolf
I'm on a limited budget (<$400 total), but I'm planning to buy a Roland Cube 30x ($250); I liked the amp with one exception: I could do with more distortion/gain.

What is the best way to overcome this problem?

Would a <$100 pedal give me the extra boost if I wanted to play with gratuitious amounts of gain?

Or is it wiser to invest that $100 on an amp that fits my wants, if so, does anyone have any recommendations?

id add the 100 to yor amp fund... buy a 5150 used
Quote by PixieDust13
id add the 100 to yor amp fund... buy a 5150 used

your adding money to funds?

how about mine
Gibson Faded SG

Line 6 spider III 75 watt
There's no real "amp fund." I can't get too loud with my amp so it has to be around 30watts or less. Instead, I will shuffle this money to my "guitar fund" which is in more desperate need
Quote by Discgolf
There's no real "amp fund." I can't get too loud with my amp so it has to be around 30watts or less. Instead, I will shuffle this money to my "guitar fund" which is in more desperate need

A 30 cube really wont be that bad, just make sure you actually try a 30.
The store won't let me try a 30 watt. They refuse to order one unless I buy it.
The next closest is over an hour away, and they likely don't have roland cubes on display either.

I guess I'll just have to get it and accept that my desire for gain is excessive. A big thanks to these forums though -- they saved me because that Roland 15 sounded 100x better than the line 6's and marshall's i was looking at.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Go to a different store.

Definently, if they are to big of pricks to let you try it, don't even bother with them. If they are you're only option, I'd say you are safe to get one.
Quote by jarudy
Definently, if they are to big of pricks to let you try it, don't even bother with them. If they are you're only option, I'd say you are safe to get one.

Your sig is stupid, first off, felix is correct, the actual circuit of the amp is more important than the tubes, second he never said tubes aren't important, third your grammar at the end there is totally screwed up.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Your sig is stupid, first off, felix is correct, the actual circuit of the amp is more important than the tubes, second he never said tubes aren't important, third your grammar at the end there is totally screwed up.

1) Anything, contributes to tone, from the coating on wires to the natural polarity of things. Yes, tubes do matter.

2) I didn't change what he said.

3) Thanks?
Quote by jarudy
1) Anything, contributes to tone, from the coating on wires to the natural polarity of things. Yes, tubes do matter.

2) I didn't change what he said.

3) Thanks?

Taking this to profiles, check yours
Quote by Discgolf
The next closest is over an hour away, and they likely don't have roland cubes on display either.

I guess I'll just have to get it and accept that my desire for gain is excessive. A big thanks to these forums though -- they saved me because that Roland 15 sounded 100x better than the line 6's and marshall's i was looking at.

CAll the next closest store and comfirm they do or dont have em?