Let me explain. I've been playing for the nearly 4 years now, and around 3 months ago, I've noticed i stopped getting better, or at least not noticably better. I'm not saying like I'm to the point of Petrucci or Buckethead, but I am a decent player, and it seems as if I'm going nowhere.
So does anyone have any good exercises or advice for an intermediate player looking to be an advance player?
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
expand the styles you play
that helped me a lot
play anything that has a guitar part that interests you

EDIT: learning new scales and chords can help a lot too
It happens to everyone, you just have to find a way to deal with it, try learning new stuff, try just listening to lots of music. For me a break was good enough. I didn't play tons for a few months, and when I got back on everything I learned before suddenly made sense to me, and I was more conscious of what I was actually playing.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.

A Roadblock is a task that only one team member may perform.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Work on technique... Seriously, I've been playing for I think about a year and a half now and I was playing with terrible technique and I my progress came to a basic halt. I revised my technique (it was suprisingly easy, it only took me a few weeks to really change how I do things, but that maybe because I haven't played for nearly as long as most), and I started getting better by leaps and bounds and still am.

If your technique is pretty much flawless, listen to different music, play different music, dive into theory if you haven't and start making your own stuff?
Quote by edusty2010
Work on technique... Seriously, I've been playing for I think about a year and a half now and I was playing with terrible technique and I my progress came to a basic halt. I revised my technique (it was suprisingly easy, it only took me a few weeks to really change how I do things, but that maybe because I haven't played for nearly as long as most), and I started getting better by leaps and bounds and still am.

If your technique is pretty much flawless, listen to different music, play different music, dive into theory if you haven't and start making your own stuff?

you've been playing a year and a half and have all this?
Schecter 006 Deluxe
Alvarez RD20
Bugera 333XL 212 2x12 combo

gotta say I'm jealous.

anyways, take a break, when you come back you'll feel better
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Quote by RabbidWolf
you've been playing a year and a half and have all this?
Schecter 006 Deluxe
Alvarez RD20
Bugera 333XL 212 2x12 combo

gotta say I'm jealous.

anyways, take a break, when you come back you'll feel better

I had a job over the summer and have bought most everything used The schecter cost me like $150, the Alvarez was like $200 (new) the Bugera was new at $750, and I just bought a classical for about $750. I'm fortunate that I live in the lovely Ohio, where it snows so much you can make $300 a day shoveling people out (not gonna lie, I earned almost as much in a week shoveling snow than I did at my job during the summer).

On topic: I took a break once and I don't think it MADE me better, but I realized how much I had improved. It really helped me before I took up learning technique, it kinda got me motivated again.
learn some classical or jazz. i was kind of where you are but im a music business major in college, and i started taking jazz lessons, and that is really interesting and it got me playing more stuff like gnr and zeppelin. just try to expand your interests
I was just in the same position as you. I've been playing about 4.5 years, and starting at the end of October, I just got so bored, and realized I wasn't progressing anymore. Just repeating the same things over and over.

So I decided to listen to new music. I just got hooked on Led Zeppelin, which I never listened to before, and was blown away by Jimmy Page's playing. I've started to learn some of their songs, and in that way I'm picking up new techniques and a new playing style. So I think playing new material/genres/bands helps.

And I just started to dedicate more time practicing, instead of just jamming all the time. I'm nearly 100% self-taught, and I realize I've missed out on learning technique that I should have learned long ago. So I've committed myself to practicing more technique than before. It's kinda boring though, so I don't force it, just do a little at a time each day.

Last thing: if you feel bored or burnt out, give yourself a break. I usually play at least an hour each day, but when I felt I hit a road block I was bored as hell with guitars. So I gave myself a break for about a week or so, did other things besides playing guitar. Then later I just couldn't take it anymore and couldn't wait to play again. So my interest is back.
I hit one of these

Then i found Paul Gilbert!

That road block soon moved!
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by Rojam
Let me explain. I've been playing for the nearly 4 years now, and around 3 months ago, I've noticed i stopped getting better, or at least not noticably better. I'm not saying like I'm to the point of Petrucci or Buckethead, but I am a decent player, and it seems as if I'm going nowhere.
So does anyone have any good exercises or advice for an intermediate player looking to be an advance player?

I had this about 3 weeks ago, I was depressed even.

But, It wasn't because I was a great player and bored or even that I could play a lot or I was not progressing. It is because I studied my playing, listened to my playing back on recordings etc and noticed, my bends were sh!t, my vibrato is not as accurate and clean as it should etc......

So I went back to my John Petrucci 'Rock discipline' and it seems every time I go back to that book, and fallow it from stretches and warm ups to metronome scales my playing improves a lot!

I have also been playing 4 years. I think it is hard to put 'years of playing' into perspective of how skilled or talented us guitarists are. There is one constant in the guitar world, and that is 'practicing and learning' it is never ending.
Try to imitate genres of music that you're playing.
If you're playing a blues piece, try to make it sound as bluesy as possible.
If metal, try making it sound as metal as you can.

Learn more theory, and more scales and try to improvise over difficult chord progressions.

And finally try learning Sea Of Lies by Symphony X.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt