I hope this is in the right area... but anyways. I've been realizing that what's holding me back with my speed abilities is my pinky finger. I've been running up and down the pentatonics lately using my pinky finger to get the E strings and B strings (you know, if you were in Am pentatonic on the fifth fret, you'd fret the eighth fret on the B string and E strings... I do that with my pinky now.)

So what I ask of you, is to maybe give me some exercises to strengthen my pinky. I've been playing some songs like Champagne by 311 that have almost sweep like riffs to also hit two birds with one stone if you will.

So any other chill songs like that that could help my pinky out?

Maybe even some heavier like songs that could help me out? I really can't stand Iron Maiden or Metallica or anything like that, so I'd rather it not recommended... but maybe some stuff like Fall of Troy?

Thank you for helping.

WALL OF TEXT SUMMARY!
- Pinky finger sucks. Songs/exercises to help me out.
Try solos in the pentatonic or even natural minor scale.
AC/DC does a fair amount of hammer-ons and pull-offs, like in the song "Thunderstruck." Which would most likely help finger strength.
On a heavier (more metalcore note) Darkest Hour has a cute little riff in "Sound the Surrender" that involves a lot of four-finger movement.

Practice cliche solo phrases in rock n'roll music. They can help as exercises also.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
Quote by MetalGear1786
Try one of those grip master things?

I'm not gonna buy some gimmick thing. I'm going to play my guitar and get better.

Thanks for all your input though. I'll try some of that stuff out.
Quote by guitarkid2113

Maybe even some heavier like songs that could help me out? I really can't stand Iron Maiden or Metallica or anything like that, so I'd rather it not recommended... but maybe some stuff like Fall of Troy?

I was going to help, but I quickly decided against it

JK, I have the same problem. Try playing Snow (Hey Oh) by RHCP with your pinky. Don't try to play it full speed, or your hand will explode...
Hello there.

I lurk a lot.

It's what I do best.
Try soloing on one string with just your pinky, such as playing an F Blues scale on the high e string. Or do trills with your 3rd and 4th finger.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by AwesomenessFTW
JK, I have the same problem. Try playing Snow (Hey Oh) by RHCP with your pinky. Don't try to play it full speed, or your hand will explode...

Really? Those beginning arps are not all that difficult at the speed they are played. The way I got my pinky to stop being retarded was to first play Crazy Train over and over (beginner), and then once I got a little better run up and down the Aeolian scale alt picking then legato over and over using the correct fingering.
Do hammer-ons and pull-offs using your pinky. Try these combinations; 1st finger and pinky, middle finger and pinky, and 3rd finger and pinky. Be sure that each note is clear.

Instead of the usual 1-2-3-4 chromatic pattern, try picking variations using just your pinky.

The best way to develop strength, accuracy, and independence in any finger boils down to using that particular finger more and doing things slowly.
Quote by stratman7
Really? Those beginning arps are not all that difficult at the speed they are played.

Well, it depends on how you're playing them, as arpeggios or like a scale (couldn't think of a better example than a scale...) I meant playing them like a scale.
Hello there.

I lurk a lot.

It's what I do best.