im thinking about making a guitar. my grandfather has an abundance of white pine which he would let me use. is it a good or at least decent wood in terms of tone? what are its characteristics? what other woods does it sound like? i would probably make a cheap semi hollow telecaster as my first build
Pine is very soft, unless white pine is different then the kind I work with every day...

But if its the first guitar you are building, it should be fine for a practice build.
Pine isn't dense enough for a semi-hollow body (it's also soft)... Although it would smell good.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Not another pine thread.
Actually pine is a great tonewood. If you go to the telecaster forum you can find a lot of info about them. The first telecasters fender made were made of pine. The reason why it is not such a popular choice is because it is very soft and not durable at all if you dropped the guitar it would get a big dent. If your careful with your guitars I'd say go for it or you could get a fast natural relic going.
It might be a problem for a hollow body though even if it worked the guitar would be neck heavy.
Last edited by 420 FREAK at Dec 4, 2008,
Quote by guitarcam123
what'd ya quote me for?

I was going to write a reply thing to what you said but I decided not to and forgot to get rid of the quote.
wood is wood, pine isnt much softer than basswood, and basswood is used a **** load. go for it, just make the neck out of something hard, and you might have trouble bolting the neck on without a nice hard finish on it.