depends on how long you've been playing, as far as just putting in some hard work to learn it, its really not too bad. I'd say 7.5 or 8, theres nothing really trick about the timing or string skipping or coordination in the piece.
1990 Gibson LP Studio
2007 American Deluxe Stratocaster
2006 Taylor 510-ce
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
ive never attempted this although i think i should since everyone does

ive never seen this movie either
Those are some wide sweeps, I'd say 9. Honestly thats one of the harder Vai pieces in my opinion. I don't have much trouble with legato and alternate picking runs but god damn those are wide sweeps.

Edit- i should probably attempt it before i judge it. (attempts)...
7.5 I'd say. It took me about 2 months to learn Jason Becker's version of the 5th caprice and it is quite a bit harder.
He doesnt sweep it, its alt picked, sounds much better picked imo too
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
about 6, once you get use to the tempo its not that hard. If would probably be easier if you knew some neo classical stuff before attempting this.

btw, vai plays both parts in the movie

and like gir said, theres no sweeps. They just made it look harder in the movie then it really is lol.
Last edited by ibanezshred503 at Dec 4, 2008,
Quote by Teh GIR
He doesnt sweep it, its alt picked, sounds much better picked imo too

This. I'm close to getting it, but it's pretty damn hard to train your fingers (both hands). But then again, I f*cked around too much for my first two years of guitar...

EDIT: and please, use a metronome.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Depends who you are. I'd put that at about an 8 for me. Way out of my comfort zone.

I know a fair few people that wouldn't even bat an eyelid at that.

That sounds real slow compared to some of the stuff I've become accustom to hearing lately.
Depends on your level of playing really. It would take me quite a bit to memorize, although I think I could probably play it, it would just take me an inordinate amount of time to learn.

I'd say that would be probably a 7-8 for me, but I've heard some people at guitar center who could probably learn that with a few times through and bump it up to 180 bpm with a bit of practice.
Quote by The ZenOfShred
NationalMan (1 week ago) Show Hide
+4 Poor comment Good comment
Marked as spam
Reply | Spam
this guy sucks on guitar.

I have not seen so much jealous people in my life! They actually gave him a 3 and a half!

He can sweep really well but his alternate picking is really messy, and that is what most people are commenting about. I'm not saying I can play it any better, just an observation.
Quote by guitarnoize
He can sweep really well but his alternate picking is really messy, and that is what most people are commenting about. I'm not saying I can play it any better, just an observation.

I think saying he sucks is a tad to far.
is it just me or does Vai look a lot like Christian Bale in that clip?
I would say for me it's a 9+.

I have tried to get it down several times and just loose it. I probably should have given it more time but, I was playing one day with my front door opened and this little Asian kid was peering thru the screen and I asked him if he liked guitar and in broken English he told me he played and had an acoustic guitar. I asked him if he wanted to play and his eyes lit up. After ten mins I wanted to throw him out on his a**. He was about 8 and that was the first thing he played and he played it like an old pro maybe better than Vai himself. After that I said the hell with it! LOL Everything the kid played was classical and done very well. I notice the kid is now playing the violin and I can hear him practice all the time the kids truely amazing.

I think my problem is my short fingers. I tend to twist them in knots trying to do stuff like that. I usually keep my leads fairly simple. I really need to practice and try and get my fingers to loosen up a bit but at almost 50 they have seen better days.

John
as clean and pronounced at that recording ? 10 of 10

It's very difficult. Also Ry Cooder is awesome !
To the people saying 9's and 10's in terms of technical difficulty for Eugene's Trick Bag, what would you rate the difficulty on for some of these songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXUrFWoRVR0&feature=related (one of his easier songs tbh)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rX2PVT-5mY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak6M4blISuA&feature=related
Guy's face at :07 cracked me up.

Btw...that is not ****ing Ralph Macchio...
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail