So I'm having a problem with my guitar (well actually I've had it for a while but now it's REALLY starting to bug me). With my noise gate on (between my guitar and amp) my amp has normal buzzing you'd except from a high-gainer. But once the pedal is off I get this nasty crackling noise that's there if I ring out a note for too long, or more than two seconds, or if I'm not playing anything. I think it's my pickups since they are stock and I'm wondering if potting them would solve the problem? Any other suggestions on what it may be? Also on dead stops with my noise gate on (chugga chugga breakdowns I guess sue me) I get this quick little feedback right before the noise cuts off or that crackling sound. Really sucks at practice or shows so any thoughts on that?
Last edited by maggot2011 at Dec 4, 2008,
If your 'HIGH GAINER" is a tube amp, youll most likely need to get them changed out. If theyre active pickups change the battery. But most likely its either your noise gate or shotty wiring in the amp, i would take it to a pro to get looked at.
Try going guitar straight to amp and see if that solves the problem. Try turning down the gain as well, the bandit is really only a practice amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Yeah it's a SS (see sig). I have turned down the gain before and it sounds really thin and bad (think BMTH's tone in For Stevie Wonder's Eyes Only studio) but that might be my technique I'll turn it down a notch and see how it goes. I know it's mean for practice but it gets plenty loud at practice and does well at gigs. Good tone to me but just a tad dark, mind you it's no Fiddy. I will try straight guitar to amp but then my guitar gives off feedback like no other since my room is small and I'm close to my amp.
Turn the volume down then, all the problems you have sound like bad practices more than amp problems to me.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Turn the volume down then, all the problems you have sound like bad practices more than amp problems to me.

Define bad practices? lol

I'm going to try turning down the gain right now.
Turning the gain, volume, or treble up high and standing near you amp. Any of those combined will give you feedback.
When I use my halfstack with the gain all the way up i get squeals when I'm not playing anything and a lot of noise. But I love the sound so I just play with it.

So I guess I am asking the same question? But I don't want to turn my volume down or gain down.
Quote by Bogforce
When I use my halfstack with the gain all the way up i get squeals when I'm not playing anything and a lot of noise. But I love the sound so I just play with it.

So I guess I am asking the same question? But I don't want to turn my volume down or gain down.

Get a longer cable and stand farther away.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Get a longer cable and stand farther away.

If you've got a lot of gain you're obviously going to get feedback but a noise gate should help.

I tried turning down the gain, no dice. I turned down the volume pot on my guitar and it helped a lot. So I still think it's something with my pickups.
It's probably just the sheer volume in a small space then, you may have to settle for lower volumes.
Quote by Kevin Saale
It's probably just the sheer volume in a small space then, you may have to settle for lower volumes.

Hmm you're probably right. It doesn't really happen if my amp stays below 1 in my room and below 5 at practice if I'm facing it. Still though it can never hurt to get some practice in soldering by un-soldering my pickups, potting em, and soldering back on?