hey all.

right, so i have decided to mod the hell out of my questionable black squier strat. not only did denmark street tell me they would "fix the electronics" prior to selling it me, which they didn't do at all (rawr!) i think the lady is old enough for a complete rehaul.

so, 40w soldering iron and solder are being ordered, pickups are being (carefully) monitored on ebay (i found a set from a 2005 fender american standard, not very daring i know, but irish tour bareknuckles will go in there when i have the monies). i also need to order guitar cable, a new 5way switch and appropriate caps [and pots.

anything else? if so let me know...]

so, now to the nitty-gritty...

i admire hendrix beyond measure. i want to recreate his tone as accurately as possible.
so... does anybody know how he wired his black strat? i mean, circuit-wise, the values of the pots and caps.... anything that could help me.

incase you can't tell i am VASTLY inexperienced in guitar modification and have decided to bite the bullet on this poor unsuspecting squier!!

cheers,

andy
40W is to much it should be no more than 20W. Don't buy the fender pickups, by GFS, it'll be cheaper although i suggest just saving up for the BK and not buying any more.
as far as i know his guitar was pretty much stock - ive read a few interviews with his tech and the guys from the band, who said it was really hard to get equipment in time for all the different gigs and things so there was only really time to swap the nut and stuff.

i second the GFS thing though. dont get the fender pickups.

also, i dont know how good you are, but hendrix had a lot of things that he did that were what made him sound like he did - techniques, and how he played things rather than what he played them on. it would be worth learning these properly before you go spending a lot of money on pickups i feel.
cheers guys, appreciate the feedback!
yeah i take your point about alot of his sound being the amps and technique he used, i was really just curious about the actual wiring of his guitar and if he had done some mods on it (like jimmy page did).
so now i have one question -

where would i find schematics of 1962 fender strats? i still have no idea what value pots and caps my squier is currently running so am still a bit in the dark.....

cheers,

andy
s'ok, i found what i was pretty much looking for...

Original Wiring Diagrams

hope that helps anyone following this thread.

now all i need is the electronics parts, which i guess i could buy in a bundle.
ps. GFS: from guitarfetish.com right?
Hendrix used a stock strat. The only differences are that the bridge pup is backward relative to the strings and stoock strats in those days had 3-way switches instead of 5-way.

If you wanna get as close to that tone as possible, get some Fender Custom Shop 69s. Hand-wound, signed, and dated by Abigail Ybarra herself. They even LOOK like '60s pups, with the gray flatwork on the bottom.

The downside is that they are NOT cheap. Look on MF.
cheers for the super niche info guys, the internet wasnt giving much away on the subject.
just one more question if i may, instead of starting a new thread...

how do i go about changing the nut on this strat?

i guess i can just knock the old one out, but do i need to glue the new one in or is the pressure from the strings sufficient?

cheers,

andy
Yes and the pressure is sufficient. Or you could use elmers wood glue and glue it in (anything else is too strong and you may break the nut if you ever need to get it out again).
i agree with the guitar fetish pickups suggestion
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by Invader Jim
Hendrix used a stock strat. The only differences are that the bridge pup is backward relative to the strings and stoock strats in those days had 3-way switches instead of 5-way.

If you wanna get as close to that tone as possible, get some Fender Custom Shop 69s. Hand-wound, signed, and dated by Abigail Ybarra herself. They even LOOK like '60s pups, with the gray flatwork on the bottom.

The downside is that they are NOT cheap. Look on MF.

Don't want to jack the thread, but for my hendrix strat I was planning on having Cord make my pickups as close to possible as the stock Fender's from 68-69 and he gave me a great quote that is a very small amount more than the Fender Custom 69s. Are the Fenders all that good?
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
someone (jim) want to second that a 40W soldering iron is too much, it looks like everyone missed it in my first post..
I use a 40w with no problems at all, other than my home made tips don't last long (I'm not paying 15 bucks for a damn piece of copper). (Uhh, sorry... heh-heh...)

But yeah, 40w is alot for wiring a guitar and way too much for pedal building (learned that the hard way).

The only thing I can get to easily solder to the back of a pot, though, is a 120w soldering gun. Only takes a few seconds.

As for the pups: I've never heard them my self, but I've read great reviews. Plus, they're hand wound by Abigail Ybarra herself! They GOTTA be some damn good pups if that's the case. She's custom-wound nearly every famous Fender player's pups since the late '50s.
That is tempting. I'll make it up to Cord by having him do my Gilmour pickups.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
No she's $190 at MF. Cords would be $200.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
They actually aren't hand made by her. She just checks them and initials them if theyre alright. Or so says the description on MF.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.