Hello all.

I've been lurking around on UG for a while now and it is now time to post...

I will be getting my first guitar sometime around Christmas, and I have about $300-450 (maybe 500 if justified) to spend. I've been looking around mostly on MusiciansFriend.com and then reading reviews on Harmony-Central.com. I also have a friend that I've been going to a couple local shops with, who has been teaching me some things and has helped me along in the process.

Since this is not set in stone yet, I'd like to broaden my horizons and open it up to you guys. Like I said, it has to be in the $300-450 range or $499.99 if you can justify that over a "lesser" model.

Criteria:

-Since I am a beginner, I'd like something simple. Simple is my style anyway, and really want a string-thru-body style.

-Don't like tremolos.

-The headstock needs to be fairly aggressive-looking, I HATE the way a Strat headstock looks. See: Ibanez, ESP LTD, Schecter.

-Body style doesn't need to be aggressive, but I do like the F-series look from ESP. Not particularly fond of V and X shapes, but will consider them.

-Colors can be solid red, black, grey, etc. I really like the Flamed Maple Top look so far, and any mix of darker colors.

Genre:
Hardcore/Grind/Metal/Mainstream/Progressive/Nu-Metal.
Bands I like (tone): Killswitch Engage, BfmV, Mudvayne, All that Remains, Mushroomhead, Droid.

I already have a few in mind, perhaps you can direct me to the right choice since I'm having a hard time deciding for myself at the moment. I really would just like some input, whether you suggest one I've picked or a totally new one that maybe I haven't seen.

Favorites so far:

ESP LTD F-100fm
ESP LTD H-251
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Grey Burst)
Schecter Damien 6 (I also like the Damien Special)
Schecter 006 Deluxe

Thanks so much for any input you guys can provide! Really look forward to some of your answers and suggestions.
Sounds like you've already decided.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Did your friends leave the room to go to the bathroom excessively? If so, they were masturbating.

Quote by JewMasatFlex
if that is why you are playing guitar, then stop. play guitar because you like music, not because you want some pussy
And the Damien 6 is really good for what you want to play. I suggest that.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Did your friends leave the room to go to the bathroom excessively? If so, they were masturbating.

Quote by JewMasatFlex
if that is why you are playing guitar, then stop. play guitar because you like music, not because you want some pussy
Anything Schecter man, great guitars for the price, http://www.zzounds.com/item--SCEC1 right there is the guitar for you man. Trust me you will love it, the Pick-ups are great, but they are active so you will need to unplug the guiter everytime you are done playing but. This guitar sounds great, its not to heavy of a weight, but wil deliever crushing metal tones. It is a great priced guitar as well
i say the damien 6, of course always try before you buy, for some reason i dont think GC carries esp, but if you have a sam ash or another music store nearby just go there and try them all out.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I think a first guitar should generally be 100-200$ it's almost a right of passage to have a somewhat crappy first guitar.
Quote by exect4500
I think a first guitar should generally be 100-200$ it's almost a right of passage to have a somewhat crappy first guitar.

They said that about my first car too... I'm not spoiled in the least so don't get that idea, I save money and work my ass off for things and just don't want a crappy guitar.

5 Replies already, how awesome.

@GuitarCrazyFrog, I've already decided when I list 5 possible choices? I'm diggin' the Schecter Damien 6 too though.

@supe18, I LOVE the C1, but hate white guitars... does it come in black/grey/red?

@David_Bowie=GOD, thanks for the input.

Also forgot to mention I'd like a 3-way pickup switch.
i have seen it in black before you might have to look around tho, ebay is a great place to look, http://stores.ebay.com/STRINGS-AND-THINGS-GUITAR-WHOLESALE check what this gut has to offer, i have bought a few guitars from him and they have all been amazing guitars. He get schecters with slight cosmetic blemishes in them, in no way effect the way the play or sound, 9 out of 10 times you can't hardley see them
The schecter c-1 plus he has on there is a great buy, i have the same guitar, color and all, let me tell you it is a beast
Well there's lots to consider in terms of specs but IMO the best way to find out is to try them all out in succession. Play each guitar one after another when they're all still fresh in your mind. After that you should be able to decide or at the very least narrow your list down further. Plus it's also tons of fun to go around playing different guitars all day.
Quote by Shabadoo
Well there's lots to consider in terms of specs but IMO the best way to find out is to try them all out in succession. Play each guitar one after another when they're all still fresh in your mind. After that you should be able to decide or at the very least narrow your list down further. Plus it's also tons of fun to go around playing different guitars all day.

Well of course, I will be doing so Saturday, but I'm trying to narrow down all my choices a bit before then.

@supe18, He does have some awesome deals on there, thanks a ton for recommending him.
Not a problem, like i said real trustworthy guy, fast shipper as well
Quote by xanvincent
Well of course, I will be doing so Saturday, but I'm trying to narrow down all my choices a bit before then.

@supe18, He does have some awesome deals on there, thanks a ton for recommending him.

Well if your trying to narrow down your list right now, the Schecter 006 appeared to be the only guitar on your list with 22 frets. I'm not sure how key 24 frets is for you but all the other guitars appear to have that over the 006.
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
i say get the ibanez or the h-251

Why?

@Shabadoo, Good point. Guess I can pretty much cross the 006 off. I'm really liking the C-1 if I can get my hands on one.

@supe18, I want the C-1 Plus Dark Brown Sunburst, I'll shoot him a message, would you mind PMing me your ebay name so I can mention you as a referral if you don't mind.
Amigo, you have GOT to check out the 400 series from ESP. I've personally owned 2 of them, the Viper one of the EC's, as well as 2 mid level Ibanez guitars, and at one time the Schecter C-1 Classic. Those ESP's are unbeatable guitars for the money when it comes to heavy music, and far outmatch the Ibanez RG's I had, as well as the Schecter. Better fretwork, better palyability, better pickups, classier looking, faster necks, shorter scale for easier bends+vibrato+legato+hammer ons+pull offs+tapping....it's all there. They are solid as a rock.
Last edited by lumberjack at Dec 4, 2008,
Quote by lumberjack
Amigo, you have GOT to check out the 400 series from ESP. I've personally owned 2 of them, the Viper one of the EC's, as well as 2 mid level Ibanez guitars, and at one time the Schecter C-1 Classic. Those ESP's are unbeatable guitars for the money when it comes to heavy music, and far outmatch the Ibanez RG's I had, as well as the Schecter. Better fretwork, better palyability, better pickups, classier looking, faster necks, shorter scale for easier bends+vibrato+legato+hammer ons+pull offs+tapping....it's all there. They are solid as a rock.

Maybe so, but 600 > 500. Also, the one I REALLY liked, the F-400fm, is discontinued.
Also, if you're open to buying used, the world looks a whole lot friendlier. Used Jackson, Charvel, real ESP (not LTD), higher end Ibanez, and all kinds of other goodies suddenly become available under $500.
Quote by lumberjack
Also, if you're open to buying used, the world looks a whole lot friendlier. Used Jackson, Charvel, real ESP (not LTD), higher end Ibanez, and all kinds of other goodies suddenly become available under $500.

Yeah, used in the $500 range would really open up some nice guitars.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Might want to check out Agile as well. Great guitars that are fairly inexpensive. AL-3000 or 3100 are really nice, as well as the PS series.

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss10.html
Guitars:
Agile PS900 Blue Flame: SD Blackouts, TonePros TOM, Grover Locking Mini-Rotomatic Tuners.
Amps:
Peavey 5150 Head w/Bias Mod.
Peavey Bandit 112
Good idea considering shecter.

I have a Damien 6.
That guitar is awesome.
the neck is a little chunkier compared to my Esp Eclipse.
but I really liked the damien for its crushing tones when distorted.
The pickups are very, very, very crisp.
very solid guitar.
i reccomend.