ive been doining hammer ons for a couple of months and i can do it pretty good but when i pluck open string and hammer on, i can do it but it sounds weird also it doesnt sound anything lik the song im playing can anyone help
what song?
What do I look like? The Wizard of Oz? You need a brain? You need a heart? Take mine. Take everything I have.
i know what u mean. WHen u hammer on from an open string to likew the higher frets it gives u a wierd ass noise. idk. i been playing for a few years and **** still happens to me. lol. SO i just don't do it. =D
its a strat and its the song one by metallica

it looks like this
|----------------------|
0h3p0---0h3p0----|
idk but a long time ago when i was starting i had a guitar with ****ty sustain and all hammerons sounded like duckass
It's obviously much more difficult to hammer on than pull off. It's even harder to hammer on and then pull off in the same motion. But, i'm 3 months into playing and it took me until now to even be somewhat confident in hammering on. Each finger is different too and you have to build up individual strength and dexterity in each one. How long have you been playing for?
Longhorntex: I know what you mean. When I try and play that part of the song it sounds nothing like the actual song.
The reason why it sounds weird when hammering from an open string to a higher fret is because you get a note ringing out from either side of the fret (ie the note you want to hear above the pick-ups, and a note ringing out from the part of the string between the hammered fret and the nut

Can't explain the sound your getting from hammering to the 3rd fret:S
Quote by krazybartender
It's obviously much more difficult to hammer on than pull off. It's even harder to hammer on and then pull off in the same motion. But, i'm 3 months into playing and it took me until now to even be somewhat confident in hammering on. Each finger is different too and you have to build up individual strength and dexterity in each one. How long have you been playing for?

ive been playing since feburary