So my band has made some major equipment improvements and upgraded our sound a lot. The thing is, my bassist has pretty bad equipment that can't handle the sound the rest of the band makes. I'm pretty new with the PA systems and junk and my mixer is ancient. My question is: Is there a way I can hook my bassist up to the PA system because his amp sucks such incredible balls? I thought about hanging a microphone over his amp and getting the sound like that but the quality would most likely be **** and I don't have nor know what cables I would need to connect him to the PA. He's a great bassist so I can't just give him the boot for having crap equipment. I'm just wondering how he can match our sound when we have a PA system that works perfectly fine. All we use the PA for is vocals and acoustic anyways.
Gear:

Guitars:
ESP ltd FX-400
Epiphone les paul jr.

Amps:
Line 6 spider II combo 30 watt
Krank Rev. Jr. full stack tube.
just plug the instrument cable into the pa, mess with the eq and volume, and your good
The Conservative youth of America!
The problem is my mixer only has XLR Inputs but the amp doesn't have an XLR output. Is there a cable I can buy to convert this?
Gear:

Guitars:
ESP ltd FX-400
Epiphone les paul jr.

Amps:
I do believe such things are made yes.

Something like this would probably work. But you'd only get mono signal as this is what an instrument puts out.

http://sewelldirect.com/1-4-inch-stereo-to-xlr-adatpter-male-female-planet-waves_specs.asp?source=froogle&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=cse
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Thank you that helped a lot, my band is going on the right track again.
Gear:

Guitars:
ESP ltd FX-400
Epiphone les paul jr.

Amps:
If they have a PA. Most will but living in a crappy area I understand that not all places will. and notice he said he could mike him up but his amp sounds like crap so we're trying to avoid as much of his amp's circuitry as possible.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
sorry man but all these solutions are wrong. They will work but quality will still suffer. What you need is a D.I. box. It converts a high impedance line signal (from the bass) to a low impedance one (XLR to mixer). These are used in studio and live situations all the time. Radial has a couple good ones, so just go to your local guitar shop and they will hook you up. Should be like $100 or so

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on this or any other sound application
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
2 Things you can do:

1. Place a mic in front of his amp, run this to the PA (you can probably EQ this farther, depending on what PA you guys use)

2. If his amp has a line out, you can use this to go to the PA instead without mic'ing his amp directly.

I've used both methods in past bands. A word of advice, if you use the line out from a bass amp to go to a PA...turn EVERY thing down on the amp and work your way up in volume or you run the risk of frying your PA. My old band usually mic'ed the bass amp when we played live, and ran the line out while recording.
get a direct box. plug the bass into the direct box. run a mic cable from the direct box to the mixer. wa bam.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!