I am down to these two guitar for what i want for christmas? I just would like to know UG thinks of these two.
Three Guitars >> Eleven Pedals >> Two Amps
Bandcamp (emo/indie/punk)

Quote by primusfan
> from louisville
> likes ween
> new favorite poster
i know it's exciting to think about getting a new guitar but if your sig is true you should be looking into a new amp or split the budget half amp half guitar. just my opinion but between those two guitars it's really down to which finish/pickups you like better.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Both are great. It all depends on if you want EMGs or the Gibson Dirty Fingers pups aside from the color that's the only difference. Both feel and play about the same as far as I could tell. You need to play both and see if you like the active or passive pups. The Prophecy line is a quality line of guitars Epi really came out shining with these guitars.

John
Quote by ShameofaNation
ive heard that emgs dont do good clean sounds? is that true?

no. you'll be able to use the neck pup for cleans perfectly fine.
Active EMG pickups can do 'okay' clean tones, but only if you have a good enough amp.

Which really is the key here.

There's no point in high-output pickups like either of these unless you have a medium or high-gain amplifier and you're trying to crank it as hard as it can possibly go.

Try this check-list:

- do you own a medium-gain or high-gain all-tube amplifier?
- are you already cranking everything except the gain control as far as it can possibly go, including the plain master volume?
- do you want the hardest natural overdrive possible?

If you answered 'no' to any of those, do not get high-output pickups, they will be doing nothing for you and will simply be a waste of your money. If you answered 'yes' to all of those, then proceed to list #2:

- do you use pedals for boost, fuzz, distortion or overdrive?
- do you use your amp's gain control?

If you answered 'no' to both of those, and 'yes' to all the previous questions in the first list, then go get those high-output pickups! If you answered 'yes' to either of those last two questions, do not touch high-output pickups, they will be doing nothing for you and will simply be a waste of your money.

Basically, high-output pickups like the Dirty Fingers are only any use if you've got a big valve amp and you're turning everything to 10 without any extra pedals and whatever. Active pickups are even worse since they give an even higher output and they're tonally vapid, so they rely on you having a good amp even more than high-output passive pickups do. Solid state amps, pedals, gain controls on the amp... if you use any of those things, do not touch high-output pickups of any kind.

The first thing you need to do is get a new amp. You could be given the best guitar in the world, but if you're playing it through a crap starter Solid State amp, it's not going to sound any better than your current SG Special.

And next, if you want a metal-orientated SG and high-output pickups aren't going to work well with your rig (which from the sound of it, they won't), look into ESP's LTD range. They have a number of SG models in the same price and quality bracket as the Epi Prophecy series, but with decent medium-output pickups like Seymour Duncans and so on. Certain models aren't available in all countries though unfortunately.
Or you could consider the Epiphone Tony Iommi SG. It's basically a Prophecy SG (slightly slimmer satin neck, 24 frets), but it has the Gibson Tony Iommi pickups, which are kind of like the Dirty Fingers pickups but a little on the softer and more defined side so they'll work with lower-gain amps better.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by mikeyElite
no. you'll be able to use the neck pup for cleans perfectly fine.

Meh. I have an LTD viper, and I can't get a decent clean tone out of it.

But for distortion, you can't beat a good pair of active pups, imo.
I'm a person.
You already have an Epi SG, just add dirty fingers or EMGs, don't buy a whole new guitar. If you want a new guitar so bad, get something different
Quote by PinkIsCool
Meh. I have an LTD viper, and I can't get a decent clean tone out of it.

i have the same guitar and i could get a usable clean out of them, just have to roll the volume back a bit. i'll give you the cleans weren't stellar by any means, which is why i've since swapped out the 85 for a passive duncan, but usable at best.
I personally hated my EPI propecy. The woods and finish were pretty poor, the neck was uncomforatable to me (subjective), and I really did not enjoy playing it.

Of course give it a try yourself in a store, we each have our own opinions.
The difference between the two models is pretty much the finish.

Personally I would go for the dirty fingers because of preference. I like the Dirty Finger sound moreso than the EMG loaded guitar.

You really need to try both out in a case like this.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by ShameofaNation
ive heard that emgs dont do good clean sounds? is that true?

emgs do great clean tones you just have to use the volume knoe turn it down to about 2 or somthing and it will do clean tones is cus metal heards just have the volume knob at 10 all the time
My Gear

Guitars: Jackson DK2t ,
Amp: peavey valvking royal 8 - 5 watt combo
Effects: Zoom g2.1u , Line 6 pod xt
I see you got the GX! Great choice.

How do you like it so far?

The Gibson Dirty Finger pups are great sounding passive pups. If it's slow at GC I always plug in both models and play them for a while. I really like them the only SG I like better is the Gibson SG diablo they have and the Epi Tiny Iommi. I think the Epi Prophecy's play better than all the SGs I have tried Gibby and Epi.

John