Page 1 of 2
So, I really, really need a new rig. my bass collection is at acceptable quantity and quality levels, so i figure the next thing i need to get is a better amp.

Currently i run through a 100 watt Fender Bassman combo. That is just plain unnacceptable.

After a bit of rummaging around, I have come up with a wonderful, but expensive answer:

The Ampeg SVT-VR head run through an SVT-810AV cab.

http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svtvr/index.html

http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svt810av/index.html

Now, the thing is that it runs up to a total of $3000 US plus tax. since I'm an Ontarian, the tax would be something along the lines of 14%. I don't know if I can trust ordering online, as the shipping part leaves room for parts breaking, and i have to pay a tax on it anyways as it comes over the border.
Long story short, i am looking at $3500 for this rig.

Before i spring for it, i really would like insight into your thoughts. good things, badd thing, like the tone, hate whatever.

All in all, i'm looking at an amp that i will use the rest of my life. i don't want to spring for $2000 every couple years getting a slightly better amp, and eventually running up a huge price tag. I think it will be better to spend the amount it costs on one I won't have to upgrade later.

Now, yes, I do need the quality. I plan on being a professional musician (maybe I won't make it big, but I would love to even just gig jazz as my career). doing session work, whatever, either way music is my life, and I plan it to be for a long time.

To help you understand what I'm running through it, my setup so far is my Geddy Lee jazz bass, and my Fender '59 remake precision bass. I use the jazz 90% of the time, but there may be a chance down the line I'll use the precision. also, I plan on buying a 70's style fretless jazz when I can afford that as well. I'm not made of money, but i do have some saved up so far, and it doesn't look like too long until I can afford the amp at least.

So, thoughts, opinions, anything? i know us bassforum users have a diverse population, and my city is too small to have anyone provide useful insight (i would have to order anything i buy here, I'm lucky to have found my precision and jazz here)
Rig of Doom:
1. Custom Warmoth Fretless Jazz
2. Geddy Lee Jazz (backup)
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
300 tube watts is a good size. not massive where it will go to waste. but certainly big enough to gig.

ampeg is solid stuff.

i guess the only thing i can suggest is that you make sure you want that cabinet.
i mean. are you sure you won't want a 4x10 and 1x15. instead of an 8x10 ( also 8x10's are super inconvenient to transport.) i'd see if you can get your hands on other cabs and see if you want to explore with speaker sizes and stuff.

thumbs up.
I play bass!
May want to look at a different cab.

A Carvin 8x10 would offer better performance, since it has a tweeter. And it's half the cost of the Ampeg 8x10.
The GST's back up to 6%? Dang.

IMO if you don't know that this stack is EXACTLY what you want (i.e. you don't need to ask any questions) then this isn't for you. It's a reissue through-and-through, and in the 70's they didn't have some of the tube-saving and life-saving features the SVT CL has. There is absolutely no reason to get the VR over the CL unless you know that's EXACTLY what you want, which you don't. And this is assuming you MUST get an Ampeg tube head now made in Vietnam. Which is bananas. I'd look into contemporary tube heads if I were you - namely MarkBass and Eden. The MarkBass is the coolest tube head I've ever seen.

The cab is 160lbs, stops at about 60Hz, and has no tweeter. Again, there's absolutely no reason to get an Ampeg 810 unless you know that's precisely what you want.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Well, here's some thoughts to chew on:

If you buy it new, it will be Vietnamese-made. I have no inherent problem with this, except for quality control issues on both of those models. The VR is known to have issues with the switches and even things beyond; a common problem is not being able to get out of standby. With the cabinet, the new Vietnamese models use a very poor quality tolex that peels extremely easily, and they switched from using plywood to particle board (sawdust and glue). On the upside, there are a few US-made SVT-VR heads that pop up on eBay for reasonable prices that are in exquisite shape, if you don't mind buying second-hand.

In terms of tone. Yes, the amp will be beastly and aggressive; a staple for rock bass playing. Everyone knows what the SVT/8x10 rig sounds like, and a good sound it is. However, it is far, far from the most flexible amp on earth. If you want tonal versatility, the SVT will not deliver. The amp is inherently versatile in that it works well with many forms of music, but itself is not tonally flexible. Also, the fields it performs best in are rock, metal, pop, etc. If you want a jazz tone, the SVT will likely be too raunchy.

Size-wise, the SVT weighs about 90 pounds. It also mysteriously seems to triple in weight after gigs. As for the cabinet, it weighs 170 pounds, has no side handles, and is mighty fun to take up and down stairs. It's simple to move on a flat, smooth floor, and it's easy to load in and out of trucks with the skid rails, but situations beyond that (which you WILL encounter), it is a major pain.

EDIT: A +1 to fitz's comments as well.

Final thoughts.... Ampeg has scary-good marketing allure. I don't know what it is, but something just draws people to them. Some call it fanboy-ism. Unwarranted hype about their products, I suppose. There's just something about the "perfection" one percieves by basking in the presence of an SVT/8x10 rig... the feeling that it can do anything you'll ever need.... with zazz. Bullchit! My best advice: Play the snot out of every amp you come across and honestly determine if it's the best for you. Don't go on the basis of marketing mojo.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Dec 5, 2008,
You might want to consider that Ampeg was recently bought out and the new owners have moved all production over-seas to vietnam.

Personally, I'm very concerned as to how the quality of Ampegs products will become.
So I would play it safe and not get anything made in 2008.
Get it all used.
When production was only in America.

But other than that I think the head is terrific.

Personally I don't like 8x10 cabs because of the weight and size so I use 2 different cabs,
but if you dig the tone coming out of the Ampeg cab and you aren't concerned with the weight/size problem then it definitely is the choice for you

EDIT: To add to mountaindew's post he's right about the weight/size problem of the cab. The cab does however has great dolly wheels and a tilt back bar handle which makes moving it around a lot easier. I've gigged with this cab many times. A few times it was hard to move but usually I'll have help from someone so it's really not that bad.

You're only concern should be that you can get over the weight/size problem.

Love the Low end
Last edited by Zeelod at Dec 5, 2008,
The only reason that you'd legitimately need an 8x10 cab is if you plan on playing very big shows and need to move a ****load of air. There's no reason to drag one into small clubs, and unless you really, really want to, there's no reason to just use it in your house. If you live in an apartment, dream on!

Recording is another reason you'd need an Ampeg 8x10; it's a sealed cab and offers a unique tone provided by such construction. There aren't many other sealed cabs floating around other than Bergantino's and Ampeg B15 combos.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by mountaindew88
The only reason that you'd legitimately need an 8x10 cab is if you plan on playing very big shows and need to move a ****load of air. There's no reason to drag one into small clubs, and unless you really, really want to, there's no reason to just use it in your house. If you live in an apartment, dream on!

Yeah pretty much, most of the time an 8x10 will be overkill for more smaller gigs.
It's only used really for loud shows and/or big shows.

But again, if you really like the sound from it then the size/weight issues wont matter(or matter as much I should say) to you.

Love the Low end
MD88, I refuse to believe that they not only moved to Vietnam, they're also made of PARTICLE BOARD... not even MDF. I can't believe it.

Also, with thousand-watt heads under 10lbs, I really think the lack of sealed cabs is an indication. You seal a cab, you kill the frequency response. You narrow the tone. You limit the tonal variety. Again, if you like that tone, it's the only game in town, but do you really like that tone?

And I say again - the VR doesn't have any surge protection or ANYTHING protecting you or the tubes. Threadstarter... why the VR and not the CL?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
thefitz has good point on the technical aspects of the Ampeg 8x10 cab.
It's a design that really hasn't changed much over the years since it was first introduced.
Honestly, there are cabs that simply out perform it by miles.

But it's what contributes to that classic "ampeg" tone. Your head though will still shape your tone the most though.
so honestly I'd say get the ampeg head and then get a different superior 8x10 if you really want and 8x10

Love the Low end
Yeah. I mean, you can crush someone's head with a sledgehammer. Their head will explode. Or you can shoot them with a 50 caliber rifle from close range. Their head will also explode. Just differently. A more satisfying explosion, yes. A quicker explosion, yes. But a different one. Or you can stuck dynamite in their eye sockets. Even easier. Quicker. Louder. Messier. But not the same.

Crushing people's heads with a sledgehammer is a gas to some people, but I'm in it for the gore.

This may seem like a clever analogy equating an Ampeg 810 to a sledgehammer, but what I'm REALLY saying is if you buy this, I'm going to crush your skull one way or the other.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Thanks so much for the advice.
first off, i am willing to move it. i am a thin guy, but i can move stuff around, and if need be, I'm sure i'd find someone to help.

I am NOT in the position to try out a ****load of amps. Oh, how I'd love to! but, the thing is is that i have no selection at all in my city. We have maybe 5 guitar stores, and only one, maybe two have decent amps. Even then, only one carries stuff I'd really consider.
That being said, I've heard about getting smaller cabs, but the 6x10 is also the exact same price. If the need comes, 'd be prepared.

As for the jazz part ,I know it may be too raunchy, but, to hell with it. i'd probably be doing solo stuff on it, and I'm a midrange kinda guy. i also play metal. if I ended up getting a project set up, I'd consider it worthwhile.

as to buying, i never heard about the Vietnam part, and thank you SO MUCH for that. Really, really, thank you. As of right now the quality is my main concern. Now, I suck horribly at finding stuff online, so if anyone sees these (pre 2008/vietnam era) at all, can I get a link? or, hell, if some store int he states even has them (I don't mind used at all) I'm willing to pay a little extra to get it here, rather than shell out the money for something I'm uncomfortable in buying.
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Quote by thefitz
Yeah. I mean, you can crush someone's head with a sledgehammer. Their head will explode. Or you can shoot them with a 50 caliber rifle from close range. Their head will also explode. Just differently. A more satisfying explosion, yes. A quicker explosion, yes. But a different one. Or you can stuck dynamite in their eye sockets. Even easier. Quicker. Louder. Messier. But not the same.

Crushing people's heads with a sledgehammer is a gas to some people, but I'm in it for the gore.

This may seem like a clever analogy equating an Ampeg 810 to a sledgehammer, but what I'm REALLY saying is if you buy this, I'm going to crush your skull one way or the other.

lol

Ts I think with the ampeg 8x10 you'll have to try for yourself and then try as many other 8x10 cabs to compare.
And decide what you think sounds the best to your ears.

Love the Low end
Quote by thefitz

Hahahah, I'll keep that in mind. THe thing about the 8x10 fo rme is that i've hear dthe tone is much better than 6x10.

Also: Why would i want a SHORTER amp? We all know size matters. when my picture is taken of me playing, with my rig behind me, i need the head around shoulder height. Otherwise it looks weird.

THAT IS WHAT REALLY MATTERS HERE.
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Still DYING to know why you want the VR instead of the cheaper and easier to find CL.

And the 810 is much "kickier" than the 610, yeah - but the 610 has a tweeter. CRUCIAL in this day and age.

Did you look into those MarkBass and Eden 300W tube/810 stacks? Hell, even Fender? Why not?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I personally am of the opinion that most good Ampeg tones can be done just as well if not better on a tube Mesa Boogie. not everyone's favorite Ampeg tones mind you, just mine. and trust me, you should probably play one if you're anything like me.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I wouldn't say size matters that much.... I think it's completely badass when you can get monster sounds from a tiny rig. I went and saw Ben Kenney in early November, and Ashley was using a Walkabout 1x12 combo with an extension cab, running to the PA. HUGE sounds, wee rig.

To the threadstarter, just search on eBay. There are a couple of American-made SVT-VR's on right now. You can clearly tell if it's made in Vietnam; on the back it has the LOUD logo and a statement "Designed in St. Louis, MO Manufactured in Vietnam" plain as day. They started making the amps in Vietnam in mid-late 2007. Anything before then is USA.

To the humanity.... I can't quite agree. I've owned an SVT-CL, a Mesa 400+, and a Mesa 400. The Mesas sounded nothing like the SVT. At all. The SVT had a big pillowy low-end, strong low-mids, and a moderate top-end. Also, it only had one sound. The Mesas were extremely hi-fi and clear, and had gobs of tone-shaping power. To be completely honest, the Ampeg was much easier on my ears than the Mesas were; there was just something harsh about them when played at higher output levels. The Ampeg was buttah smooth at all levels. Odd stuff, too, because I've found the solid-state Mesa gear to be very pleasant sounding at any output as well, unlike the tube amps (400/400+, Buster, etc.)

The big brown truck is bringing my Titan V12 tomorrow.... I can't freaking wait!
Please, all, just call me Mitchell. That aside...

I what ways does the CL varu from the VR? i tried looking it up a bit, but I didn't find any signifigant answers. All Ive heard it that the CL tries to be what the VR is.

Also, i am in the process right now of looking up those other amps as we speak.

i'd like to add, that my understanding of amps is fairly basic, not in depth. Bear with me as i'm learning.

I'm not really stuck on the amp, it's just what i've found so far to be the best. Maybe it isn't, maybe it is.

Edit: Fitz, you have me heavily looking at the CL right now. Good for you.
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Last edited by LeperMessiah_ at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by mountaindew88

To the humanity.... I can't quite agree. I've owned an SVT-CL, a Mesa 400+, and a Mesa 400. The Mesas sounded nothing like the SVT. At all. The SVT had a big pillowy low-end, strong low-mids, and a moderate top-end. Also, it only had one sound. The Mesas were extremely hi-fi and clear, and had gobs of tone-shaping power. To be completely honest, the Ampeg was much easier on my ears than the Mesas were; there was just something harsh about them when played at higher output levels. The Ampeg was buttah smooth at all levels. Odd stuff, too, because I've found the solid-state Mesa gear to be very pleasant sounding at any output as well, unlike the tube amps (400/400+, Buster, etc.)

well, I find I don't mind Ampeg for making a kinda bassy wall of crank tubeness tone. Mesa does that for me with a lot more clarity, you can hear the little things you do a lot better, like that slide when you change hand positions, but it still sounds tube. to be quite simple, I like clarity to the point of a fault.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

If you're new to the amp world, you're probably easily drawn in by marketing. This isn't meant to be offensive, it's just natural for anybody.

Here's an SVT crash course for you:

The vintage SVT as we all know it came out in 1969 and lasted through the 80's undergoing very minor production changes. It was a two-channel amp with lots of rocker switches, inputs, lack of a master volume, etc. Cosmetics were altered throughout it's tenure, and in the 80's it was made in Japan. SLM bought Ampeg in the lates 80's, and did a limited run of vintage-type SVT's before ending production of the SVT around 1988.

At this time it was replaced by the SVT-II, a single-channel rackmount version of the vintage SVT. Same exact amp, but with only one channel, a rackmount chassis, and an added graphic EQ. This lasted until about 1993 when SLM released the SVT-CL as we know it today. Single-channel, basic EQ, and gain and master volume controls, all within the classic-styled SVT chassis. The circuit was different from the original SVT and SVT-II heads, but is still extremely viable and good-sounding in its own right.

In 2005 (I think) Ampeg decided to make a reissue of the earliest, first-gen SVT's, with the blue-line cosmetics and all. Hence, the VR. The VR is slightly different from the original in it's use of op-amps, PC board, more modern and common vaccuum tubes, speakon connectors, solid-state rectification, and other things. Other than that, it's very true to the original.

The SVT-CL and VR differ mainly in that the VR has two channels and no master volume control. You want growl, you've got to turn it up loud. The VR also has more tonal features through use of rocker switches.

However, the VR doesn't have protection circuitry, which allows for more output and better tone. The cost of this is obvious: no protection. If something nasty happens, you're screwed.

To thehumanity: I get what you're saying. For me, though, I dig a solid presence, but not a lot of brightness. The 400 and 400+ had too much clarity for me, and not enough of the low-midrange I love. I hate blurry, muddy tones, but too much clarity actually gives me a headache.
Threadstarter, will you at least humour me and check out that MarkBass head review on www.bassplayer.tv ? I mean - that thing's wired in such a way you only need to replace one tube at a time. And it graphically biases each tube each time you turn on. And has meters telling you tube health. AND you can switch between long tube-life and high fidelity modes. None of this "have to turn up loud to get growl" nonsense.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
one thing i really find important is the subtle variances afforded by the VR
THe problem with the CL I see is that it allows you 5 choices for midrange, but nothing else. NO in-betweens.

HOWEVER, I do hear it can aford a warmer tone. Is it possible to get a , say, Jaco-like tone from a VR, as opposed to needeing the CL for it?

i want a good growl, and even with my ****ty bassman, I get a decent, but mediocre, tone. i find it highly unlikely that i can't get any better from the VR.
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Last edited by LeperMessiah_ at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by mountaindew88

To thehumanity: I get what you're saying. For me, though, I dig a solid presence, but not a lot of brightness. The 400 and 400+ had too much clarity for me, and not enough of the low-midrange I love. I hate blurry, muddy tones, but too much clarity actually gives me a headache.

I could imagine a bass forum jam session being very odd. I don't think a one of us has the same tone.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by LeperMessiah_
one thing i really find important is the subtle variances afforded by the VR
THe problem with the CL I see is that it allows you 5 choices for midrange, but nothing else. NO in-betweens.

HOWEVER, I do hear it can aford a warmer tone. Is it possible to get a , say, Jaco-like tone from a VR, as opposed to needeing the CL for it?

i want a good growl, and even with my ****ty bassman, I get a decent, but mediocre, tone. i find it highly unlikely that i can't get any better from the VR.

If you want the closest halfway-point between an Ampeg growl and a Jaco tone, do what fitz says and look into Markbass. You're not going to get a Jaco sound from any Ampeg SVT or 8x10. Also, despite having more options, the SVT-VR isn't really much more flexible. All versions of the SVT sound slightly different, but each is the same in that it really only has one sound. It's easy to speculate on what isn't immediately in front of you. If you get the chance to mess around with the amps, you'll see what I mean. On paper it'll look freaking amazing, and when you finally get to try one, it's disappointing.

To my ear, the SVT-VR has a classic-rock type sound. The SVT-CL is more of an average midpoint between every SVT ever made. Some of the vintage growl, some of the modern top-end, some of this, some of that..... but it's all in one tone. SVT's are inherently inflexible, tonewise.

Again... give markbass a shot. Who doesn't appreciate a 500-watt VHS tape?
Well, i'm checking out a bunch of amps on bassplayertv right now.
So far, Markbass does look good, but i'm not sure if it's for me. it is impressive, and i'll admit it is a good head. Tone is pretty good.
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Good stuff. It's completely in your hands; I just wanted to make sure you're considering everything as opposed to just jumping on the Ampeg hype bandwagen.
Where exactly do you live in Ontario anyway?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Thunder Bay. North-western, close to Duluth.
We technically shoudl bean hour back here, but because of T.O. we are using EST.
You?
Also, I might be wrong about the tax. GST might still be 5% or whatever it is. Either way, it's relatively close to that.
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Yeah, I'm from Toronto (Mississauga actually), and there are so many great stores around here. A shame you're not closer.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Oh, totally. i am so limited here.
However, i'm eying the music program at humber, and would love to move down to TO for a bit. A lot more opportunities there, for sure.
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Besides a little different price, what advantage does the CL 9besides the tube-saving stuff)?
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Well its not a copy for one. I think over all it will be better. im going to play both of them side by side tomoorow and ill get back to you on my thoughts.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
None really - it's not too often you hear "tube" and "advantage" in the same sentence. You're getting a head that won't explode or kill you for cheaper. And it has a volume knob. I mean really.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by fatgoogle
Well its not a copy for one. I think over all it will be better. im going to play both of them side by side tomoorow and ill get back to you on my thoughts.

Thanks a tonne.
curious as to how the tones differ especially.

The one big difference I see is that there is more tonal capabilities with the CL, but i also hear that the tone is overall warmer with the CL.

Sadly, there is NO chance I can try both these out. When I get the chance i'm going to the one good store in town, because I THINK they might have a CL. Not 100% sure, but now that i think of it, i believe I saw one there.

I may also just be crazy.
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
I think if you're looking for diverse tone capabilities in a) a tube amp, b) and 810 c) an ampeg, d) an Ampeg tube amp, e) an Ampeg tube amp and 810, you're missing the point. If you want tonal variation, get another amp and cab. If you want a huge Ampeg tone, get this. People like the VR because it's nastier.

THERE IS NO VOLUME KNOB ON IT. Why are you concerned about those 3-way switches? From what I understand, they're deep/bright switches and a 3-position mid dealie. Which makes it 2 positions less than the CL.

I say again.

The Ampeg CL has more tonal options than the VR. The options are IDENTICAL except for the CL having 2 more mid positions. Those other switches are replaced by buttons on the CL.

EDIT: I may have read your post backwards.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Dec 6, 2008,
+1

If you want scads of tonal options from a tube amp, look into Mesa/Boogie. Yes, they're discontinued and yes, they're ugly as sin, but they're extremely flexible.

With the Ampeg amps, you have one sound that you can use for many things. It's extrinsically versatile. Boogies are intrinsically versatile in that there's many tones within the amp.
Yeah, i think you did read it backwards.

And, I'm not necessarily looking for 30 different tones to use, I just want the ability to find one good one. i am looking at the CL, I just am working out what the difference is, so far.

Also, on the bassplayer.tv if you watch the videos on the cabs/head it explains a little. However, he only tests out the VR, on ONE tone setting, and ONLY with him slapping the bass.

I'm a fingerstyle player, i don't slap, nor will i use a pick. Maybe it's useful, but none of the music I will ever make will have or need slap bass. slightly frustrated with ampeg's lack of showing the amp's possibilities.
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Quote by LeperMessiah_
Yeah, i think you did read it backwards.

And, I'm not necessarily looking for 30 different tones to use, I just want the ability to find one good one. i am looking at the CL, I just am working out what the difference is, so far.

Also, on the bassplayer.tv if you watch the videos on the cabs/head it explains a little. However, he only tests out the VR, on ONE tone setting, and ONLY with him slapping the bass.

I'm a fingerstyle player, i don't slap, nor will i use a pick. Maybe it's useful, but none of the music I will ever make will have or need slap bass. slightly frustrated with ampeg's lack of showing the amp's possibilities.

Listen to most rock records. What you're hearing is an Ampeg SVT on the bass.
from your last comment your struggling to find an ampeg top try yet you want one and are willing to pay 3 grand on this. I think youve got it into your head that you want this rather then knowing you NEED this. When soending lots of money make sure you getting something that will last and then you wont have to upgrade or change in a long, long time.

Edit:
i dont know if your buying now but
http://cgi.ebay.com/MESA-BOOGIE-BASS-400-ALL-TUBE-BASS-AMP-WOW_W0QQitemZ190270549606QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item190270549606&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
thats a mesa boogie 400+

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMPEG-SVT-CLASSIC-BASS-AMP-HEAD_W0QQitemZ200285015490QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item200285015490&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
a cl at a decent price.

with a bit if searching you could easily pick up good cabs to go with it for around $700 .
Some people swear by buying second hand cabs as they say if there still working now means there good quality and will most likely keep working.
And if you incist on buying the ampeg Make sure you buy an american made one.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Dec 6, 2008,
I own Ampeg SVT-VR with SVT-810AV
and MESA Bass 400+ with 2x15 cab
Both are amazing and unique beasts.
Mesa is all about power and Ampeg is all about tone.
I have bought the ampeg brand new from GC.
A word of advice, in GC (guitar center) come in and explain a sales rep that you are a serious customer willing to buy svtvr.
When you will buy the amp and the cab together, talk to them and see what they can do with the price, bargan your butt off.
I did so, and I saved a whole lot of money
But when I got it, it was worth every dollar.
Had it for about 6 months and it still makes me druel.
Page 1 of 2