so I'm going to go the United States on vacation this coming up christmas, and I'll have about $1200 spending money (was originally intended for college, but no longer needed). I'm a bassist at heart, but want to expand my territory into guitar. anyway, I've already got a $400 guitar picked out (an agile), so I was wondering what I could do with the rest of the money. I'd like to have some money left over for pedals or strings of even an active preamp for my bass. I looked up musiciansfriend, and these are the amps I think I can get:
Crate V18: $199
Fender Pro Junior: $379
Blackheart Handsome Devil: $449
Fender Blues Junior: $479
Laney VC15: $639
Riviera Pubster 25: $799
Egnater Rebel 20: $848 (head and cabinet)
Fender Princeton Reverb: $899
Fender Deluxe Reverb: $949

I'm looking for mostly a really warm, clean sound (my band plays reggae, and I was thinking of letting the guitarist use my amp as well), and as far as distortion, I really like the woman tone. It doesn't have to be exact though, on the distortion.

so what do you guys think would suit me best? obviously, I'm going to play as many as these amps as possible before making a decision, but I'd like to know general opinions on them, as well as any other amps I may have missed.

thanks in advance
Fender's are known for their cleans. very sparkly and bright. The deluxe reverb would probably do it for you.
but see, I don't exactly want bright. I thought the deluxe reverb, too, but all the clips on youtube that I've heard, it's really crazy bright. of course I haven't gotten to try it out myself.

can a deluxe reverb get bassy (without being muddy)?
Fender Bassman?

Maybe a Ceriatone knockoff, just as good (or better) but half the price.

Can't play the Ceriatone first unless you know somebody who owns one, but if you can find some clips and like what you hear, go for it!
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by clickypens
but see, I don't exactly want bright. I thought the deluxe reverb, too, but all the clips on youtube that I've heard, it's really crazy bright. of course I haven't gotten to try it out myself.

You can, but you have to resort to some EQ trickery to do it. A lot of it is dependent on your guitar too, but Fenders do seem to mud out if you've got too much bass, especially when it starts to overdrive, and get kind of a quack going in the lower mids.

I know it's not on your list but I'd actually recommend looking into a Hughes and Kettner Statesman. Naturally it's actually a very bright amp, but the EQ is really versatile, and you can get some great sounds of out really unorthodox EQ settings. (Bass 12:00 Mids 10:00, Treble 10:30) I've used those exact settings during gigs and the thing sounded fantastic. The 20 watt variant has enough headroom to stay reasonably clean live. If you're using something with Single coils/p90s or low output humbuckers it'll stay clean until you crank it past 12:00 higher outputs will definitely overdrive at gig volumes, but it actually sounds really smooth and clear, instead of going into the normal kinda grainy overdrive that a lot of amps do.

The downside is it may be somewhat out of your price range. I got mine for $1200cdn and I think the 40 watt variant is slightly more.

If you're interested I can possibly record a few clean clips tomorrow or something and post them up.

If I had to choose from your list though, I'd definitely get the Fender Deluxe Reverb. I'd just make sure the guitar you get has fairly warm sounding pickups in it.
For clean and warm, you can't beat a Ampeg j-20 jet. They are point to point wired, tube rectified and 20 watts. And around $600, a steal for a "boutique" amp.
Definitely look into the Ampeg.
Fender cleans are what you want though- look at
-Twin reverbs
-Super reverbs
-Bassmen
-Deluxe reverbs
If you go used, you could get a silverface or reissue of most of those. You could even get a blackface bassman for that much if you can do without onboard reverb.
cool, thanks a whole bunch guys. I'll check up on the Hughes&Kettner (I saw it on musiciansfriend, but it was just a tad outta my price range), and the Ampeg if I can find any.

and I should've said that going used is no problem (actually kinda preferable, since it's cheaper and all).

as far as ceriatone, I really like the idea, and I'd love to eventually put together my own amp, but since this is my first guitar amp on top of not really knowing how to solder well, I'll let that to something else.

any other suggestions that may not be on the list but are within about $800 used?
You defintely have some great choices listed there, but I would recommend a Peavey Classic 30 combo. Warm, lush and sparkling tones.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Some good ideas brought in here so far for sure. Classic 30 would be another good one.

So you'll have $800 to spend on an amp or $1200? US dollars?

When you say you will let your guitarist use it too, you mean while your playing bass in a live band situation or what? Is s/he pretty familiar with amps? What is their thought as well for you individually?

Wouldn't hurt to look for used amps as well, where will you be visiting?

Raggae only?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Some good ideas brought in here so far for sure. Classic 30 would be another good one.

I looked at the Classic 30, too, and it does sound really really nice. but really I was looking at 15-20 watts because I'm looking at a (fairly) portable amp. But, I'll still take a look at it, and if it doesn't weigh too much, I'll definitely pick it up.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
So you'll have $800 to spend on an amp or $1200? US dollars?

It's $800 dollars or so for the amp. I have $1200 total to get whatever I mostly want, and I already am pretty much decided on that I want a $400 Agile AL.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
When you say you will let your guitarist use it too, you mean while your playing bass in a live band situation or what? Is s/he pretty familiar with amps? What is their thought as well for you individually?

Since I'm the bass player in the band, I was thinking of letting the guitarist use it in band practices, recordings and whenever we play live. Mostly because right now he's using a terrible yamaha 10watt amp. He really doesn't know amps, but he likes a warmer tone (thankfully, just like me).

Quote by ·311ZOSOVHJH
Wouldn't hurt to look for used amps as well, where will you be visiting?

I will definitely look into used amps. I'd almost rather one, since it's generally quite a bit cheaper. I'll be visiting Georgia, so if anybody has/knows of any good music stores there, it'd be great to know.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Raggae only?

Reggae mostly. Like I said, I'm also going to let the guitarist of my band use it, and we play reggae-funk. But, when I play, I also (want to) play reggae, clean blues, Black Keys-type blues, all the way up to old classic rock. Really, I'm not looking into a heavy (musically speaking) amp. Woman tones are about as distorted I get. But saying that, the distortion is a second for me. As long as it's dirty, I really don't mind, so something like a Blues Jr is actually perfect for me.

PS. one last thing I should throw out there, since I will be visiting, I'll be on a plane. what's the best way to take an amp on a plane? hope that it fits on carry-on? take the box and check it? also, since I don't have a car where I live, I'd be taking this on a bus quite often, so I want a fairly portable amp (nothing more than, say 20 kilos [40 pounds])
Last edited by clickypens at Dec 6, 2008,
I love my V18-212. Great amp for the price and it seems like it fits what you are looking for.
Quote by eyebanez333
I love my V18-212. Great amp for the price and it seems like it fits what you are looking for.

I'll definitely try it out since it's only two hundred dollars. That'd leave me with a lot of extra money for pedals (I'd like a wah) or strings, or something for my bass.
Quote by Roc8995
Definitely look into the Ampeg.

This.

What part of the US are you coming to?

If it were me, I'd also be looking into a Vox style amp.
Quote by clickypens

yes, it can, and if your really worrying about your eq than i suggest getting an EQ pedal.
Quote by imgooley
This.

What part of the US are you coming to?

He's visiting Georgia. Atlanta maybe?

I ask TS 'cause you could hit up craigslist.com in the coming weeks to see if you see something you like. He also needs to be able to take it home with him on an airplane. Not quite sure how to do that, I would take the tubes out possibly and box it real good. I doubt you will get it on 'carry on'

You could also ship it back home via Fed Ex and get insurance on it.

Goolz - he wants to play Black Keys too, so I thought you'd be the perfect guy to talk to.

actually more middle georgia, but I've checked craigslist and it's almost got absolutely nothing in georgia.

as far as shipping it, there's no way, it's crazy expensive. but I'll be sure to wrap it up really well and take the tubes out.

Quote by imgooley

such as? last I remember looking, AC30s are really expensive, and AC15s aren't that great
Quote by clickypens

such as? last I remember looking, AC30s are really expensive, and AC15s aren't that great

AC30'a aren't any more expensive than a DRRI, and I have no clue where you got the idea that AC15's are not that great.
Also look into an Epiphone Blues Custom 30.
Quote by imgooley
AC30'a aren't any more expensive than a DRRI, and I have no clue where you got the idea that AC15's are not that great.

since I've never played them, I was just saying what I'd read on this forum. But I'll check it out.

also, how does the VC15 rank against the real deal?
Last edited by clickypens at Dec 6, 2008,
Quote by clickypens
since I've never played them, I was just saying what I'd read on this forum. But I'll check it out.

I disagree with that opinion on this forum. Great amps they are.
wow. you're right. I looked them up on youtube and they sound awesome. They're just a tad out of my price range new, I hope I can find one used in the area. Anyone know why the 50watt combo is cheaper than the AC30?

also, any opinions on the Laney VC series as a cheaper alternative?
Quote by clickypens
wow. you're right. I looked them up on youtube and they sound awesome. They're just a tad out of my price range new, I hope I can find one used in the area. Anyone know why the 50watt combo is cheaper than the AC30?

The AC50 isn't the same platform as teh AC30. It's 2 footswitchable channels, and has a bunch more gain.
Quote by clickypens

They're nice amps, very warm, rich sound, and quite a lot of gain on tap if you want it. Surprising that they're cheaper than the Vox in America though...
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by monkey_dancer
They're nice amps, very warm, rich sound, and quite a lot of gain on tap if you want it. Surprising that they're cheaper than the Vox in America though...

They're not.
Quote by clickypens
cool, thanks a whole bunch guys. I'll check up on the Hughes&Kettner (I saw it on musiciansfriend, but it was just a tad outta my price range), and the Ampeg if I can find any.

and I should've said that going used is no problem (actually kinda preferable, since it's cheaper and all).

as far as ceriatone, I really like the idea, and I'd love to eventually put together my own amp, but since this is my first guitar amp on top of not really knowing how to solder well, I'll let that to something else.

any other suggestions that may not be on the list but are within about $800 used?

In reference to the Ceriatone, you can get the amp already put together, (and I once heard somebody says that Nick from Ceriatone WILL build the amp better than you -in reference to the guy asking about the brand-) you just might wanna find a speaker cab that would fit the voicing of the Bassman, cuz I think it's a head that you get... Not sure though.
Also, if you're into the Clapton "Woman Tone", Ceriatone also has a Marshall JTM45 "Bluesbreaker" copy
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Dec 6, 2008,
Quote by monkey_dancer
Quote by imgooley
They're not.

they are, though, by about $300 according to musiciansfriend. so if they sound similar, I'd rather the laney.

Quote by Shinozoku

In reference to the Ceriatone, you can get the amp already put together, (and I once heard somebody says that Nick from Ceriatone WILL build the amp better than you -in reference to the guy asking about the brand-) you just might wanna find a speaker cab that would fit the voicing of the Bassman, cuz I think it's a head that you get... Not sure though.
Also, if you're into the Clapton "Woman Tone", Ceriatone also has a Marshall JTM45 "Bluesbreaker" copy

how much extra does that charge, because with shipping it's already on the edge of my price range ($800).
Last edited by clickypens at Dec 7, 2008,
Just because you got money doesn't mean you need to spend it. Specially if it isn't for you primary instrument. Besides theres always tomorrow to spend it. If you don't care for fender clean but love a good overdrive tone look at the crate v series. I can vouch for the v30 112 and the V16 palomino. The new models V18 and V33 may not be as good but I haven't played them. Samples show they can sound good specially after some modding. 5yr warranty (if you don't mod it). Some people just switch tubes and run an eq pedal. Its amazing how good you can sound on the cheap. Wait till you compare to that junky solid state your friend has.
Good luck.
Quote by nomadh
Just because you got money doesn't mean you need to spend it. Specially if it isn't for you primary instrument. Besides theres always tomorrow to spend it. If you don't care for fender clean but love a good overdrive tone look at the crate v series. I can vouch for the v30 112 and the V16 palomino. The new models V18 and V33 may not be as good but I haven't played them. Samples show they can sound good specially after some modding. 5yr warranty (if you don't mod it). Some people just switch tubes and run an eq pedal. Its amazing how good you can sound on the cheap. Wait till you compare to that junky solid state your friend has.
Good luck.

that part is definitely true. Especially since I don't know how much it would cost to move it from the US to where I live.

but really, what I'm mostly looking for is a lush warm clean, can the V series pull that off?
Er, in reference to the Laney I would by it over here in Blighty! It'll be quite a bit cheaper as it's a british amp so also benefits you should anything go wrong. And BTW I would be looking at the Laney's for the tones you're after.

EDIT: Oops! Guess who wasn't paying attention! You're in Mexico. I'd still be looking at the Laney though. And if you got the cash I'd be seriously looking into the Ceriatone clone (JTM45)
Last edited by UnicronAlliance at Dec 8, 2008,
I think the Peavey Classic 30 is perfect for what you're looking for, but if you need something smaller save a few dollars and pick up a used Peavey Classic 20. They pop up on ebay and craigslist all the time. Just as nice as the 30 except I think it lacks the reverb? Definatly worth looking into.
I like the Orange Tiny Terror too, but it's probally more than you need to spend.
Quote by UnicronAlliance
Er, in reference to the Laney I would by it over here in Blighty! It'll be quite a bit cheaper as it's a british amp so also benefits you should anything go wrong. And BTW I would be looking at the Laney's for the tones you're after.

EDIT: Oops! Guess who wasn't paying attention! You're in Mexico. I'd still be looking at the Laney though. And if you got the cash I'd be seriously looking into the Ceriatone clone (JTM45)

right now, I'm actually kinda leaning toward the Laney or the Blues Junior. mostly for price, also for tone.

Quote by kyates33
I think the Peavey Classic 30 is perfect for what you're looking for, but if you need something smaller save a few dollars and pick up a used Peavey Classic 20. They pop up on ebay and craigslist all the time. Just as nice as the 30 except I think it lacks the reverb? Definatly worth looking into.
I like the Orange Tiny Terror too, but it's probally more than you need to spend.

I'd forgotten about the Classic 20. If I can find one, I'll take a look.
I've played a tiny terror and it was really amazing, but I think it's right outside my price range.