but im just so dumbfounded, i can't even grasp the simple concepts of it.
Now before seagull says "look at the crusader articles", i have around 10 times now, everytime didn't make sense to me. It just looks like mumbo jumbo to me; however, i still want to learn it because i know the benefits it can give to my guitar playing.

So there are MANY things in music theory, but perhaps there is something that everyone should start off with. So if you could tell me, i could look it up, or post a link, even more helpful

In a nutshell, (oh forgot to mention, i have been playing 4 months), i don't get music theory in anyway, i HAVE tried understadning, researching though columns, google, and youtube, but my mind just cant grasp it
It's like math but in music form. It's just the logic behind what music sounds good and scales and stuff 4 months in you dont really need to worry about it.
then take lessons.
we can't help you understand it better.
a lot of people can't understand it or many other things unless they are taught it one on one or in person.
Quote by skatelif7
It's like math but in music form. It's just the logic behind what music sounds good and scales and stuff 4 months in you dont really need to worry about it.

quick suggestion, what do you suggest that i practice on? i do dedicate several hours (1-4) a day, so i could take up some suggestions
What I first started out with was simply knowing where the notes on the fretboard were. When I figured that out, MUCH much more theory made sense like how chords are built, how scales work, etc...
YEAH
^ Do this. Learn the notes on the fretboard. It will make so much more sense then
Have you looked at the basic theory lessons from freepower's sig?
Can be a bit much at first. Remember in the major or minor scale there are only 7 notes in each Octave. 7 is not such a scary number to remember. I recommend learning these notes and the basic chord built from each note. Find a good book on songwriting using your guitar. The Songwriting process will slowly teach you theory while you learn songwriting. Remember not to overdo you faith in theory and break the rules when you understand them. I've never heard anyone say "Hey, that's a really hot mathematical equation" you get me?
Like someone said, get a teacher.
Your teacher will know your skill level and how much theory you need to know for your level.
Quote by adlix
but im just so dumbfounded, i can't even grasp the simple concepts of it.
Now before seagull says "look at the crusader articles", i have around 10 times now, everytime didn't make sense to me. It just looks like mumbo jumbo to me; however, i still want to learn it because i know the benefits it can give to my guitar playing.

So there are MANY things in music theory, but perhaps there is something that everyone should start off with. So if you could tell me, i could look it up, or post a link, even more helpful

In a nutshell, (oh forgot to mention, i have been playing 4 months), i don't get music theory in anyway, i HAVE tried understadning, researching though columns, google, and youtube, but my mind just cant grasp it

The Crusades are just about the most accessible, straightforward explanation of basic theory I've seen anywhere, not just on UG. They start at the beginning and explain everything clearly.

It's simple - if you don't understand something then go away and research it - either buy a book, google it or just ask on UG. There's no point just saying "it looks like mumbo jumbo, I don't understand any of it" because that's rubbish, if you can read English then you'll at least understand some of it. If there's a specific bit you didn't understand then ask about it - unless you tried to rush through all 12 without reading them properly. You'll notice in some of the articles it says to "go away and do x" or " make sure you understand y", and if you go past that point without doing those things you won't understand what comes after.

Best place to start is right at the beginning, so like Rave765 said, do you know the notes on the fretboard yet?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The term Music Theory seems innocent enough, but it is actually a very broad subject. You can get a master's degree in music theory. So don't expect to understand it overnight, it'll take years of study. Start small, learn the notes on the music staff, then learn where they are located on the fretboard. After you have a good grasp of that, you can get into scales, chords, chord creation, modes, etc. The Hal Leonard basic books that teach guitar are also an introduction to theory. Otherwise an instructor would be good for you.
+1 to what Steven said but I will say this:

Whether or not it says "make sure you understand this" you should make absolutely sure you understand each and every single concept before you move on; all theory is built on a base of basics so if you skip anything then chances are you'll be confused by something down the line.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by steven seagull
The Crusades are just about the most accessible, straightforward explanation of basic theory I've seen anywhere, not just on UG. They start at the beginning and explain everything clearly.

It's simple - if you don't understand something then go away and research it - either buy a book, google it or just ask on UG. There's no point just saying "it looks like mumbo jumbo, I don't understand any of it" because that's rubbish, if you can read English then you'll at least understand some of it. If there's a specific bit you didn't understand then ask about it - unless you tried to rush through all 12 without reading them properly. You'll notice in some of the articles it says to "go away and do x" or " make sure you understand y", and if you go past that point without doing those things you won't understand what comes after.

Best place to start is right at the beginning, so like Rave765 said, do you know the notes on the fretboard yet?

Well I agree with the TS. As I have said before, the crusades article didnt help me much and it IS confusing despite what seagull says.

Its full of a bunch of needless attempst at comedy and is overly wordy. It makes assumptions and has poor examples.

I have learned some theory from other sources that were far eaiser to comprehend than the crusades article.

Everyone learns differently, and for me the crusades just wasnt cutting it.
Quote by steven seagull

...and podliver, thank you very much
YEAH
...yes, and podliver

Quote by Axe Murderer
Well I agree with the TS. As I have said before, the crusades article didnt help me much and it IS confusing despite what seagull says.

Its full of a bunch of needless attempst at comedy and is overly wordy. It makes assumptions and has poor examples.

I have learned some theory from other sources that were far eaiser to comprehend than the crusades article.

They couldn't be any less confusing and they certainly don't make any assumptions - they start right at the beginning giving you an overview of intervals and before they go on to scales and chord construction. You could argue that they "assume" you know the notes on the fretboard but it's a theory lesson ffs, that's like criticising an article on grammar and sentence construction for assuming you knew the alphabet.

The only way somebody wouldn't find them helpful is if they were looking to learn a load of patterns and tabs rather than actual theory. They aren't just something you read, they're a guide to help you understand and organise the information that's out there - you could spend weeks just studying the stuff about intervals covered in part 2.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by adlix

Try the theory links in my sig. Watch each and give each time to sink in and play with the concepts before moving on. Then you'll be ready for the crusade articles.
Quote by Freepower
Try the theory links in my sig. Watch each and give each time to sink in and play with the concepts before moving on. Then you'll be ready for the crusade articles.

Ah, so the crusades are not as easy?
Quote by Axe Murderer

That goes the same for me. The way i learned theory is because i took cello in 4th grade, and I just learned music theory in the class. then i decided that since im a metalhead, i should learn guitar since my mind has grasped this. The Crusades are very confusing from what I've seen. Start with basics, like learning the differences in time measures and whole, half, quarter notes, etc. Cuz that is the easiest stuff, and from there, it should all begin to fall in.
Say hello to Tilt-A-Whirl

Quote by a6l6e6x1
i shave my pubes, so should they

wait, i mean no i dont! hehe

*backs slowly out of the thread*