Hey...So I know a bunch of artists like Adam Jones and Matt Bellamy play through several different amps at the same time, like I know Adam often plays through 2 or 3, and I was checking out a site that had his rig setup on there, and they said that they were unsure of how he splits his guitar signal to multiple amps, so I figured I'd ask you guys.
So how do you do it? Is there a cord that just straight up splits your output signal from your guitar? If so, links?
thanksssss.
An A/BY box will split it to 2 amps. Also a stereo pedal will give 2 outputs. My chorus isnt stereo but it has 2 outputs. But with it in the loop you would need to send it to the power amp of a second amp not the regular input. And on AMZs site there is a schematic thats shows how to split into 2, 3 , or more outputs. I added it to a distortion pedal I have even off if will split the signal. So as is I can run to 3 amps. I might just build a dedicated splitter box with switches to mute each output.
An ABY is what you're looking for. If I were to run a stereo setup, this is what I would get: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Morley-ABY-Channel-Switcher?sku=150757

In fact, I really want to run a stereo set up; my Mesa F-50 in stereo with a Sovtek Mig 50.....mmmm.....6L6+EL34=eargasm....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
You need an A/B pedal switch. Search on that.

I don't think I'm looking for an AB/LS pedal, I'm more thinking something that sends out the signal to multiple different destinations from one source, so like instead of choosing a/b, you choose a and b.
unless you can choose AB on an A/B switch....which you can.
haha sorry, what i meant to say, i was thinking a box, more along the lines of what tackleberry was describing.
Last edited by tona_107 at Dec 5, 2008,
Theres pedals that select A or B and theres ones that can select one or both at same time easy to buy at music stores or the net. The box Im talking about takes the single signal and splits it to 2, 3 or more outputs it can have switches or not it has a seperate transistor/buffer for each output. So you could run 2 amps and a tuner or 3 amps depends on how many outputs you wire into it, in theory you could have 10 outputs with no signal lost. Its not something I have ever seen for sale I made the one I have.
I believe this is what you're looking for.
http://www.tonebone.com/tb-switchbone.htm

It's an AB-Y switch where you can split the signal between two amps and a tuner. Or you can have both amps engaged at the same time.

I've never seen anything that will let you run a signal through more than 2 amps at the same time though. I'm not sure you'd want one either as you'd have some serious problems with phase cancellation.
Quote by icronic
I believe this is what you're looking for.
http://www.tonebone.com/tb-switchbone.htm

It's an AB-Y switch where you can split the signal between two amps and a tuner. Or you can have both amps engaged at the same time.

I've never seen anything that will let you run a signal through more than 2 amps at the same time though. I'm not sure you'd want one either as you'd have some serious problems with phase cancellation.

What's "phase cancellation"? i've heard that before but i can't remember... it sounds like it has something to do with the soundwaves from the different amps being identical, but in different phases so your ear can't hear it?
I'm pretty sure adam jones sometimes runs through his diezel, marshall, and dual rec at the same time...but i must be missing something, and i don't think he does that very often, usually he just runs the diezel and marshall in studio and the diezel and the mesa live.
Jones runs a Herbert and a Super Bass into a Recto cab.

I'm 99% sure on this....then again there is always that 1%...........
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Jones runs a Herbert and a Super Bass into a Recto cab.

I'm 99% sure on this....then again there is always that 1%...........

I know for a fact that he runs a diezel and an 80's marshall.
http://guitargeek.com/rigview/593/
yeah sorry it is the super bass...i forgot about that i just rememebred some marshall.
but im confident that in the later years he switched from using the marshall live to using a dual rec.
Like I said, there's always that 1%
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by tona_107
What's "phase cancellation"? i've heard that before but i can't remember... it sounds like it has something to do with the soundwaves from the different amps being identical, but in different phases so your ear can't hear it?

As far as I understand that's more or less correct. The end result is those frequencies essentially cancel each other out and are no longer audible. The pedal I linked to actually has a switch on it to adjust it. A guy I know has one of them and showed me how it worked, it's really quite strange, set one way it would sound full and great, and set the other way all of a sudden all these frequencies disappeared and you were left with this really weird thin sound.
Quote by icronic
As far as I understand that's more or less correct. The end result is those frequencies essentially cancel each other out and are no longer audible. The pedal I linked to actually has a switch on it to adjust it. A guy I know has one of them and showed me how it worked, it's really quite strange, set one way it would sound full and great, and set the other way all of a sudden all these frequencies disappeared and you were left with this really weird thin sound.

haha who would have known, i just applied physics/chem to real life