Page 1 of 2
Why do people strive for beauty? I thought about it and beautiful things usually aren't so great. Especially when it comes to people. So what's the big whoop?

Take dogs for example. Yeah, the purebreds look good, but the mutts are stronger. Usually when people discuss genetics they refer to internal DNA symmetry/beauty being reflected in external symmetry/beauty, but doesn't this "mutt theory" disprove this?

Take women. Sure, they can be hot, but hotter ones are usually bitchier. Also less likely to do things for their man?

Hey, I love beautiful things as much as the next person but I'm wondering why people think this way.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Because that is the way the world and society and the media have told us to think. If something looks good, it is better than something that doesn't look as good. Don't you just hate society?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
something about being visual human beings =\

on a more serious note. there is no given definition of beauty.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Quote by srv_king
well jeez i dont know there ms.yoshixxx7

Fixed.
███
██████████
███████████
██████
████████
they want to be beautiful because they think it'll make their lives better.

those who have attained beauty often know a bit better, though
Quote by guylee
beauty is in the eye of the beholder, child.

Exactly what I was gonna say.
I'm not talking just about people guise.

Take a computer. I'm sure you know plenty of people (and by people I mean girls) who would choose a laptop by how "pretty" it was. Of course laptops did not exist for the majority of human existence so why would it make evolutionary sense for people to choose beautiful computers?
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Quote by ShivaSteampunk
they want to be beautiful because they think it'll make their lives better.

those who have attained beauty often know a bit better, though

how do you attain beauty?
Quote by yoshixxx7
I'm not talking just about people guise.

Take a computer. I'm sure you know plenty of people (and by people I mean girls) who would choose a laptop by how "pretty" it was. Of course laptops did not exist for the majority of human existence so why would it make evolutionary sense for people to choose beautiful computers?

the nicer something looks, the better we will foolishly assume it is? we want what is the best to give us an 'advantage' over others, maybe a survival instinct of somekind? these are hard questions, i'm not a scientist
It's the first line of defense we build around ourselves to keep others from destroying our egos.
people are drawn to aesthetically better looking things. people like to be surrounded by things that dont make their eyes bleed by looking at it.
beauty is pretty much determined by society though.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
Quote by Ex'sAndOh's
Fixed.

impossible. there are no girls on the internet. Fact
Call me Jack
because beauty distracts us from the drab nature of life

I enjoy beauty so much. I could look at something I considered beautiful for hours at end
(some females included...)

something to appreciate, nop?
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
being beautiful is hard work you know, it takes alot out of me every day. just playing, i am one ugly mother****er. but i can play guitar so i still get laid. 8)
beauty is the mask of the beast
i like broccoli and long drives at the beach on my segway
nobody wants to bone a fat chick, a chick with acne, a girl with greasy hair, a girl with yellow teeth and everything else you can think of. men like to brag about their sexual exploits. people are more tolerable of ugly men than they are of ugly women.
Not everyone views beauty the same way. People think i have really weird taste in girls, because what i see as beautiful isnt necassarily what most guys consider as hot.

Same goes for a lot of things, from photography and art, to buidling design and stuff. As said before Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Quote by srv_king
impossible. there are no girls on the internet. Fact

Too bad this doesn't apply to idiots.
███
██████████
███████████
██████
████████
I don't strive necessarily for beauty but for perfection. Surely they might go hand in hand.. but for me, it's striving for everything to be perfect. Or even striving to be what everyone wants me to be almost. In my head, what everyone wants out of me is to be blonde, have long skinny legs, be a size 0, be bubbly and cute, wear abercrombie or stuff like that, I don't know. If you're wondering why I feel this way, it's because I feel like that's what every guy wants. I could be wrong, but that's how it feels.
Beauty>goatse
myspace.com/sidetrackedrock
myspace.com/scottkrausmusic

Quote by an epic mistake
Woah guys, this is actually the first post relevant to the thread in a LOOONG time. I applaud you Scotdizzle.

I found the damn sig thing!
Quote by _testament_
I don't strive necessarily for beauty but for perfection. Surely they might go hand in hand.. but for me, it's striving for everything to be perfect. Or even striving to be what everyone wants me to be almost. In my head, what everyone wants out of me is to be blonde, have long skinny legs, be a size 0, be bubbly and cute, wear abercrombie or stuff like that, I don't know. If you're wondering why I feel this way, it's because I feel like that's what every guy wants. I could be wrong, but that's how it feels.

What the hell is bubbly?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
What the hell is bubbly?

LIKE OH. MY. GOSH! << bubbly. fake. uplifting. peppy. valley-girl?
Quote by LadyHellraiser
Obviously, mainstream culture feeds and thrives upon appearances and derives an individual's personal worth solely from them. Why? Why not. Why be content with being unattractive when you don't have to be?

Of course, we've gone too far. You think people with appearance associated disorders such as anorexia, bulimia, and ED-NOS don't KNOW their habits are screwed up? It's because others place so much value on the physique that it distorts the mind, warping perspectives of what we feel is gorgeous. No, it isn't always others' opinions that matter to the appearance obsessed, but our minds have become so cluttered with societal standards that we cannot appreciate our inner beauty, despite kind words from others around us, until we reach our outer goals, which for many of us, will never happen.

Yoshi, as you are female, I'm sure you identify with me when I say it is INCREDIBLY hard for women to succeed in music or performing arts without being, to say the least, slightly attractive. Beauty is respected over skill, as it always has been, infinitely more to devout followers of the mainstream.

...But that is just ideal.

On the middle paragraph
It just bothers me so much when people are that appearance obsessed. If that is what Yoshi is talking about, then I can understand the topic more. (Natural beauty is something in itself. Take this for people, music, pictures. I hate things that are air-brushed and auto-tuned. They bother me. Who cares if you have a blemish or are a fraction of a tone off?) (Yet, I enjoy when people naturally have the qualities that 'looks' obsessive people strive for. I'm not sure on that one. Somewhat superficial on my part? Anyways, I'd rather have a chubby girl than one with an eating disorder (though I'd prefer one that is just naturally thin (something about "late bloomers" as well. I dunno.)))

On the last paragraph, and somewhat being 'asdf'
I think she's pretty
(but that isn't the point of this thread)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Biologically, things which are beautiful to us are (most of the times) needed for our survival. Like we only eat fruits and vegetables which appear healthy, and a potential mate's physical appearence suggests that wheather they are healthy or not. Of course this does no apply to everything, but mostly this is the case.
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
Quote by _testament_
LIKE OH. MY. GOSH! << bubbly. fake. uplifting. peppy. valley-girl?

I'd kill you in your sleep after having sex with you.
Quote by LadyHellraiser
Obviously, mainstream culture feeds and thrives upon appearances and derives an individual's personal worth solely from them. Why? Why not. Why be content with being unattractive when you don't have to be?

Of course, we've gone too far. You think people with appearance associated disorders such as anorexia, bulimia, and ED-NOS don't KNOW their habits are screwed up? It's because others place so much value on the physique that it distorts the mind, warping perspectives of what we feel is gorgeous. No, it isn't always others' opinions that matter to the appearance obsessed, but our minds have become so cluttered with societal standards that we cannot appreciate our inner beauty, despite kind words from others around us, until we reach our outer goals, which for many of us, will never happen.

Yoshi, as you are female, I'm sure you identify with me when I say it is INCREDIBLY hard for women to succeed in music or performing arts without being, to say the least, slightly attractive. Beauty is respected over skill, as it always has been, infinitely more to devout followers of the mainstream.

That's unfair. Their brains work differently, it isn't societies fault. They'd get hung up on something else otherwise.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I'd kill you in your sleep after having sex with you.

Uhhhhh. No you wouldn't, I'd handcuff you to the bed and go for round two. Morning wood ftw.
Not to mention that many people who suffer from eating disorders end up depressed and/or with low self-esteem because they realize exactly what they're doing...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by LadyHellraiser

Honestly, I might be a special case, BUT, the more skilled she is, the hotter she is.
She can weigh a ton, but if she plays good music, one word: YUMMY.
Quote by LadyHellraiser
I don't know about that. Everyone is hung up on something, for many weight is a touchy issue.

Keep in mind that people who suffer from bulimia also have changes in brain chemistry. If the serotonin levels are changed, this can cause things like anxiety and obsession. Which could lead to bulimia. Serotonin activity changes during the binge and purge, which would effect the behavior of the person. But, even after bulimics recover, they still have altering serotonin activity.

What percentage of women suffer from bulimia? Not that many. How many women are surrounded by the same things in society? Most of them. Difference in brain operation is a factor. It can't be blamed solely on society, that's unfair.
Quote by SteveHouse
Not to mention that many people who suffer from eating disorders end up depressed and/or with low self-esteem because they realize exactly what they're doing...

Which is in part a serotonin problem. I wouldn't say they become depressed because of realizing what they're doing, I imagine it'd be more like it's caused by the same thing.
Quote by vintage x metal

humans have become much too materialistic (i think that's the right word, if it's not someone correct me). we care too much about appearances, and not what people are like inside. i think it's sad that society works like that.

another example: like when people buy guitars because they "look cool" but in reality sound bad.
Page 1 of 2