Im thinkin about buying a 5150 that has kt88s on the outside and 2 6l6 on the inside (all JJ tubes)..

i dont mind the different tubes, but... i noticed that this 5150 produces more feedback/fizz than my 6505+. is it because of the kt88s? i would just like a little info before i decide to buy this amp. ps he's charging 600 for the head... good deal? (i got my 6505+ for 650)
didn't realize you could run two different types of power tubes at once, other than like, Mesa Roadking or whatever that is.

$600 US? It's a little much. Get him down a bit and it's better.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
No. Powertubes Dont contribute to microphone feedback usually. The 5150 has more preamp gain than the 6505+. But thats a cool amp man. 2 6l6 2 Kt88. Ive never played an amp with a powertube combination like that. I know KT88's are Bigger and Louder sounding that 6l6's. Also have more headroom. I'd go for it.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
I have heard that that combination totally SLAYS!
Go for it, if it doesn't tickle your fancy you'll be pretty close on the re sell value .
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
I've seen a few 5150 go on Ebay for around $500. I got mine at a pawn shop with a Marshall 1960av Cab for $650. That was unusual though. I saw it behind the counter and asked if I could get a price on it. They said they hadn't done their "research" on it so they just threw a number and I took it. If its in decent shape $525-550 is probably fair.
The only thing I would worry about is the lifespan of the output transformer. KT88's use a lot of current and put out a lot of power (up to about 100 watts a pair) and most OT's in 100-120 watt amps will die comparatively early if you start using more demanding tubes such as 6550's and KT88's.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
The only thing I would worry about is the lifespan of the output transformer. KT88's use a lot of current and put out a lot of power (up to about 100 watts a pair) and most OT's in 100-120 watt amps will die comparatively early if you start using more demanding tubes such as 6550's and KT88's.

+1, I would do some research. I know Eurotubes sells the integrated quads, but I've talked to a couple 5150 gurus, and it's universally considered a bad idea. Not only the extra current draw and stress on the tranny, but they will be running very cold since you won't get close to the correct bias for them without having a seperate bias pot for the KT88 and one for the 6L6. There are other parts that aren't designed for it too, like grid resistors and whatnot. Contact JerryP at FJA, he's a well know 5150 modder, and is fervently against putting those kinds of quads in.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
5150's can take those two tube types at in the same quad. But only with appropriate mods and biasing. Also, the retaining rings would have to be cut off or removed otherwise the KT88's wouldn't fit. I certainly hope all the necessary steps were taken before he fired the amp up with this tube combination.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Erock503
+1, I would do some research. I know Eurotubes sells the integrated quads, but I've talked to a couple 5150 gurus, and it's universally considered a bad idea. Not only the extra current draw and stress on the tranny, but they will be running very cold since you won't get close to the correct bias for them without having a seperate bias pot for the KT88 and one for the 6L6. There are other parts that aren't designed for it too, like grid resistors and whatnot. Contact JerryP at FJA, he's a well know 5150 modder, and is fervently against putting those kinds of quads in.

+1 to Erocks +1 and all info that followed.
I don't know what it is. I don't think it's that the 5150 has more pre amp gain. I own a 5150 block letter and 6505+ The 5150 may have slight amount of more gain but it's not like a lot. Or not enough to cause more feedback than the 6505. What was the setup you played on on the 5150? Could have been a different guitar and it actually could be the tubes or something else in the amp.
yeah. i've read on eurotubes about the kt88-6l6 quad for 5150s and it seems to be an ok combo according to them but other people have told me different. and as for the guitar i was playing with, it was an ltd with EMG81/85 setup. i think i might shop around.. as far as the sound of the amp, the only difference in sound next to my 6505+ was the unusual amount of fizz/feedback.. (and that says alot, as i have owned 2 6505s and thus am familiar with their feedback).
i might try putting 2 6L6GC and 2 KT88 in my next "clone". either doing Peavey 6505, Soldano SLO100 or Krank Krankenstein. i say "clone", i will mod the hell out of them!!
Looking for any of your spare 12" speakers or electronic components (valves, transformers, anything!) and a Peavey Wolfgang USA. Message me!

I want your broken/unwanted gear, UK only. Message me!
Necro bump!!!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
haha hell yeah man
Looking for any of your spare 12" speakers or electronic components (valves, transformers, anything!) and a Peavey Wolfgang USA. Message me!

I want your broken/unwanted gear, UK only. Message me!