I make up something but it always just sounds like either something from a band that already exist or it's just boring and nothing new I keep trying to make a riff or song of my own on guitar and I just can't find anything I like. I can on acoustic guitar but not electric. I thought maybe it was because I wrote some lyrics at the same time so it all just came together really well. but that won't work for electric because I can't write lyrics to a solo lol I wouldn't want to. I suppose I could for all the rest of the song but I tried that and it doesn't work. Please help me out Thanks
Quote by xXguitard00dXx
I make up something but it always just sounds like either something from a band that already exist or it's just boring and nothing new I keep trying to make a riff or song of my own on guitar and I just can't find anything I like. I can on acoustic guitar but not electric. I thought maybe it was because I wrote some lyrics at the same time so it all just came together really well. but that won't work for electric because I can't write lyrics to a solo lol I wouldn't want to. I suppose I could for all the rest of the song but I tried that and it doesn't work. Please help me out Thanks

Well keep in mind that no matter what us songwriting folk do, it will probably have already been thought up before, or it will be thought up again by someone else in the future.

However, If you use unusual chord changes, scales, transposition, and different guitar techniques like slides, bends, legato etc. you will get a "unique" riff. And hell, maybe, just maybe, it will be something that has never been thought of before.

Most important thing though, have fun!

Anyway, Rock on!
apart from technical death metal or crazy acoustic fingerpicking, listen to all the great songs out there that are instant classics. the riffs in the songs probably wasnt that amazing on its own, but the lyrics, the vocals and bass and percussion brought it all to life.

i think all guitarists who try to write stuff on their own are far too critical of themselves because they're always trying to write the most amazing riff anyone has ever heard. i have the same problem where i write riffs but dont think they'll go anywhere. HOWEVER i record the bastards anyway because you never know when one day you'll have a spark and some old **** you did gives you an idea and you run with it.

yes there is usually one person who writes the bulk of the song, and they're geniuses...but its still the whole band who make the song and that's what we all love to hear.

chin up mate!
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
Quote by Haunt3dAng3l
Well keep in mind that no matter what us songwriting folk do, it will probably have already been thought up before, or it will be thought up again by someone else in the future.

However, If you use unusual chord changes, scales, transposition, and different guitar techniques like slides, bends, legato etc. you will get a "unique" riff. And hell, maybe, just maybe, it will be something that has never been thought of before.

Most important thing though, have fun!

Anyway, Rock on!

Thanks man
just keep on trying, you find you make new and exciting riffs when you dot try and just mess about.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Quote by bigtimmy
apart from technical death metal or crazy acoustic fingerpicking, listen to all the great songs out there that are instant classics. the riffs in the songs probably wasnt that amazing on its own, but the lyrics, the vocals and bass and percussion brought it all to life.

i think all guitarists who try to write stuff on their own are far too critical of themselves because they're always trying to write the most amazing riff anyone has ever heard. i have the same problem where i write riffs but dont think they'll go anywhere. HOWEVER i record the bastards anyway because you never know when one day you'll have a spark and some old **** you did gives you an idea and you run with it.

yes there is usually one person who writes the bulk of the song, and they're geniuses...but its still the whole band who make the song and that's what we all love to hear.

chin up mate!

Thanks dude
I think ive said this before, but if i play a cover of a song and i make a mistake i run with that mistake to get something new. Thats how i made up some of my riffs.

Custom Built Pearlescent Red Strat

Alpine White Les Paul Copy
Cream Fender Tele Copy
Vox Amps
Another thing that you may have overlooked is that when a song comes together as a whole in a studio it changes dramatically. What you're used to hearing on the radio, and what sounds 'unique' and 'interesting', is really compliments of many factors. Four chords played in a repetitive sequence on an acoustic guitar in your bedroom is going to sound radically different then the same four chords mixed together with lyrics, melodys, vocals, drums, bass, etc.

Depending on all of these other factors, your four chords played in the same sequence can be made into several very different songs. Strumming patterns, distortion, the dynamics of your playing, and everything you do sends your piece in its own direction. 'Unique' is in the details.
I tend to like the riffs I have written when a additional parts have been written in. Like for instance I'll right a simple, pretty much generic riff and then a few days later I play it over a backing track or my bass playing buddy comes over and it usually sounds a lot better and I am able to improve upon it from that point. I am not the best guitar player either so sometimes I hum the part if I don't think I can play it right away. Its stupid if you know how to play guitar really well and have great knowledge of your fretboard but it works.
Quote by Kingofold
I tend to like the riffs I have written when a additional parts have been written in. Like for instance I'll right a simple, pretty much generic riff and then a few days later I play it over a backing track or my bass playing buddy comes over and it usually sounds a lot better and I am able to improve upon it from that point. I am not the best guitar player either so sometimes I hum the part if I don't think I can play it right away. Its stupid if you know how to play guitar really well and have great knowledge of your fretboard but it works.

haha yeah I do that too lol
i've found that i write the best riffs by thinking what the drums, bass and vocals are doing at the same time, or what they could possibly do

or i'll think of a drumbeat and work off that
Hantedangel and bigtimmy already said a lot of the things i was going too so Ill just give you a few tips.
- Work on learning varietys of playing styles and learn lots of other peoples songs or bits of songs that you find interesting even if they are hard for you or different from your style. If a guitarist is a painter the more musical tehcniques and ideas he knows the more colors he has to paint with right?

- Record everything (If you can) You might not like it now but you might like it more later.

- Listen to songs and realise the guitar parts are part of a bigger picture. Tons of great guitar parts might sound boring or so so without the singing bass drums and vocals. Its easy to be over critical of your riff when it stands alone.

- If your idea is a rythem section or chord progression try to record it and jam over it as lead guitar (again if you can) I wrote some basic riffs that i thought were notbad but pritty much what you described "nothing new" or exciting but then after jamming leads over them they seemed to have more life and be not so bad.

+ what beau said is good too or even better try finding some drum beats online and play over them or get a drum program or drum machine.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
Hantedangel and bigtimmy already said a lot of the things i was going too so Ill just give you a few tips.
- Work on learning varietys of playing styles and learn lots of other peoples songs or bits of songs that you find interesting even if they are hard for you or different from your style. If a guitarist is a painter the more musical tehcniques and ideas he knows the more colors he has to paint with right?

- Record everything (If you can) You might not like it now but you might like it more later.

- Listen to songs and realise the guitar parts are part of a bigger picture. Tons of great guitar parts might sound boring or so so without the singing bass drums and vocals. Its easy to be over critical of your riff when it stands alone.

- If your idea is a rythem section or chord progression try to record it and jam over it as lead guitar (again if you can) I wrote some basic riffs that i thought were notbad but pritty much what you described "nothing new" or exciting but then after jamming leads over them they seemed to have more life and be not so bad.

+ what beau said is good too or even better try finding some drum beats online and play over them or get a drum program or drum machine.

alright, cool so I'll have to get something so I can start recording but in the mean time I do have a drum machine so I'll use that when I try to write stuff I never thought of that. thanks