Hey guys.
I'm making a relic strat out of an old cheapy that's been lying around.
i was thinking about using tea or coffee to stain the fingerboard to give it that aged look.
Has anyone had experience doing this before?
links/pics/threads anyone?

thanks in advance.
coffe might work...what i do everytime i buy a guitar is use some kind of oil (i use baby oil) on the neck and just rub it in well and let it sit for a day...the neck absorbs the oil...takes away any grainy feel from the neck and makes it smooth and slippery. of course this would happen in time with playing but i wanted to speed up the process.

what you COULD do is use some kind of oil that solves coffee or tea (depending on how dark/stained you want it) and use that on the neck and rub it in (dont forget the headstock if you want it to look even). rub it in well till it feels almost dry and then just let it sit for a while (one day should be good).

let me know how that goes cause that would be an interesting project
Not sure id u'd wanna do that since you'd have to expose the neck to humidity in order to stain it (wet tea bags on neck?).

You could always burn the neck a bit using a blow torch and then put a finish over it to smoothen it out.

These are just random ideas though...
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
hard woods (neck woods) wont absord humidity but they will absorb oily (non-polar) substances. use oil if you want to get it in there. wet tea bags wont be absorbed, they ll just give a surface stain that you can wash off.
Tung oil is my favourite for necks, but you can use gun stock oil, tru-oil, or linseed oil if you want.

I would suggest staning the neck, and putting oil over it. Use a light amber colour or something.

Also, if you build up about 5 or 6 coats of tung oil, you will get a vintage amber look.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
i use shoe polish on my fretboard. i've never heard of anyone else doing that though. i use black on rosewood. i suppose you could use tan on maple.
yeah i've heard of people using shoe polish.
I actually gave it a shot this morning, all it seemed to do was make everything really greasy.
Quote by abhorsen12
Gun cleaning oil is a carcinogenic though, and therefore a little bit iffy.

No, gun stock oil. It is like a shiny spray oil that turns to a very hard finish.

And, everything is a carcinogen. Spray paint propellant, plastic from picks, metal corrosions resistance coating...

even the arcon they use to shine apple peels.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Eat_0n_Kent
Hey guys.
i was thinking about using tea or coffee to stain the fingerboard to give it that aged look.

thanks in advance.

Well EVH used a ciggarette, and for all i care, you could smother your shit all over it

Yeah, coffees fine (i think, i couldn't be reading anything after the OP )
Quote by Eat_0n_Kent
Hey guys.

thanks in advance.

Why not just tung oil it?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.