Does anyone know of any online LESSONS or personally know any good tips for making pentatonic licks more interesting? I mean I know about connecting the boxes and stuff but when im improvising I feel like im always playing the same stuff. Thank you!
learn the blues scale, it just adds a a few more notes to the pentatonics. You got any tips for connecting the boxes more?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ehh

add notes to the pentatonic scale! basically make it into a major scale by adding a note right before the 3rd and right after the 5th (or counting in the pentatonic minor scale, before the 2nd note and after the 4th).
wait thats confusing

ok So Em Pentatonic would become

e---12-14-15--
B---12-13-15---
G---11-12-14--- etc

but another thing you could always do is learn solos by bands/guitarists you like and learn from them.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Basically what I like to do is get the entire pentatonic scale (once you learn't it) and study it infront of you printed out and hit the notes from it. just hit random notes till you get accustomed to new positions. I know your have a comfort zone in where you play with fast succesion of notes but add some more notes into the mix. for example what I REALLY LIKE to do is this lick

High E------------5---------------5-----------
B---------------5-----P8-------5------p8---------
G---------7b--------------7b---------------7b-------
D----------------------------------------------------
A-----------------------------------------------------
E-------------------------------------------------------

Do that really really really fast. then you could go back up the scale
and to the root note and make a nice finish.
The key of that is Am(I think) btw but you could move it to other scales also
Last edited by ShogunRonin at Dec 5, 2008,
Yes its Am and its widely used by guitarists such as Page and Randy Rhoads but it always sounds good yea
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
search youtube for justinsandercoe or justinsandercoesongs

alternatively search for bl-011 which is lesson 1 of 20 about the blues scales and blues licks... really well presented and paced.
Thank you please.
Quote by ShogunRonin
Basically what I like to do is get the entire pentatonic scale (once you learn't it) and study it infront of you printed out and hit the notes from it. just hit random notes till you get accustomed to new positions. I know your have a comfort zone in where you play with fast succesion of notes but add some more notes into the mix. for example what I REALLY LIKE to do is this lick

High E------------5---------------5-----------
B---------------5-----P8-------5------p8---------
G---------7b--------------7b---------------7b-------
D----------------------------------------------------
A-----------------------------------------------------
E-------------------------------------------------------

Do that really really really fast. then you could go back up the scale
and to the root note and make a nice finish.
The key of that is Am(I think) btw but you could move it to other scales also

I think you may have (consciously or subconsciously) lifted that from Jimmy Page's solo in The Ocean.

Also, if you're into RHCP, take a look at John Frusciante's solos. Almost all of them are major or minor pentatonic, and for the most part they sound great. He has a lot of clever (albeit basic) tricks, some string skipping, stuff like that.

If you're playing to a backing track (bass or rhythm guitar), you can easily make your solos sound better by hitting (or dancing around) the root of whatever chord the rhythm section is playing. You could also hit the relative minor, which will sound equally as good.
Quote by jdiddy182
I think you may have (consciously or subconsciously) lifted that from Jimmy Page's solo in The Ocean.

And Since I've been Loving you, and Whole Lotta Love, and Dazed and Confused, and others. Yes he uses it alot

But so did other the guitar players in the 70s. Iommi used it, Angus Young used it, the list is endless. I didn't know it was in The Ocean though. It's been a while
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by ShogunRonin
Does anyone know of any online LESSONS or personally know any good tips for making pentatonic licks more interesting? I mean I know about connecting the boxes and stuff but when im improvising I feel like im always playing the same stuff. Thank you!

1 - Try to play EVERYTHING like you mean it. What that means to you is entirely up in the air but try to mean it.

2 - Add colour tones, 2nd, 5th, major 6th and the flat 5th are usually good choices but you have to be careful; what you can play depends on what you're playing over.

3 - Better phrasing. Phrasing is THE most important part of EVERYTHING in music.

4 - Good vibrato. Good vibrato can turn an amateur sounding solo into a decent lead line so work on it. I don't mean just add it more often but actually practice your vibrato, try to find YOUR vibrato and make sure you have control over it at all times - you should be able to change your vibrato to suit the music.

Edit: Bornfidelity, that lick comes up in just about everyone's playing from BB King to Yngwie Malmsteen - it's anything but a Jimmy Page lick
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.