So I just bought a bass today!
A Yamaha RBX170! blue finish obviously. =)

Been playing guitar for almost 7 years now, wanted to get a bass forever, and finally bought it today. I know the movement with the left hand more of less, being a guitarist, the difference here is that you have to keep your thumb behind the neck at all times, and to stretch your fingers as much as possible.

Have a few questions though.
1) Is it durable? I mean, can I pluck the strings with my right hand and not worry about if I do it too hard, too agressive, or can I play it freely without thinking about it?

2) I know that you you have to put your thumb on the pickups at all times, and your 3rd and 4th fingers tucked in, the question is though, is there a certain way I should position my elbow, or hand, or something like that? I don't want to do it wrong.

3) slapping... I'm not gonna even learn the basics of slapping right now, want to learn how to play regularly first, but is it gonna hurt the tension, the strings, anything, when I do? it's not like it's an advanced bass.

4) Are there any useful youtube videos or other video lessons online that I can watch, or any tips\suggestions in general to help a bass n00b?
books have knowledge, knowledge is power, power corrupts, corruption is a crime, and crime doesn't pay..so if you keep reading, you'll go broke.

UG Profile
1.) I don't think an aggressive technique is particularly bad, and yes, your bass will be durable, however I think that you should try and play the lightest you possibly can, to ensure you keep your technique clean, and avoid unwanted clank.

2.) As for thumb on the pickup always, I only put my thumb there if I'm playing the low E string, otherwise I rest my thumb on the other strings, it's called the walking thumb or something? Also, I don't tuck my 3rd and 4th fingers in, so it appears that I use all of them, even though I only use 2, it's just more comfortable. As for elbow and hand positioning, sometimes I slightly rest my forearm on the body of the bass before the strings. Also, make sure that your plucking hand's wrist is not at an uncomfortable angle, otherwise there will be problems in the long run.

In short, do what's comfortable.

3.) All basses are designed for slapping I feel, thus it won't cause many problems with your bass, as long as you aren't pummelling the hell out of it. But I agree with learning normal fingerstyle first.

4.) Tips and suggestions, don't feel that a fancy line is always required for a song, often a simple bassline fits the pocket. More tips to be added...

Hope that all helps
signature
Just came on to ask the same question, brough a bass today too!

any help will be appreciated
Quote by Dillona
NME: OMFG DEY HAZ TIGHT JEENZ N MESSY HAIRZ!

LETS COVER THEM IN OUR MAGAZINE FOR THE NEXT THREE MONTHS! .

Metallica 08.07.07
Quote by Bullet-Rule
1.) I don't think an aggressive technique is particularly bad, and yes, your bass will be durable, however I think that you should try and play the lightest you possibly can, to ensure you keep your technique clean, and avoid unwanted clank.

2.) As for thumb on the pickup always, I only put my thumb there if I'm playing the low E string, otherwise I rest my thumb on the other strings, it's called the walking thumb or something? Also, I don't tuck my 3rd and 4th fingers in, so it appears that I use all of them, even though I only use 2, it's just more comfortable. As for elbow and hand positioning, sometimes I slightly rest my forearm on the body of the bass before the strings. Also, make sure that your plucking hand's wrist is not at an uncomfortable angle, otherwise there will be problems in the long run.

In short, do what's comfortable.

3.) All basses are designed for slapping I feel, thus it won't cause many problems with your bass, as long as you aren't pummelling the hell out of it. But I agree with learning normal fingerstyle first.

4.) Tips and suggestions, don't feel that a fancy line is always required for a song, often a simple bassline fits the pocket. More tips to be added...

Hope that all helps

That helped indeed, thanks for the post. =)

A question though:
You said you put your thumb on the next string as you go down, and I saw a lot of bassist do it, but I played the bass today, and I found that putting the thumb on the pickup is the most comfortable. Is it still ok?

If you put your thumb on the string, isn't it too much pressure to the string? same can be said about the pickup, it won't hurt it, right? I mean, it won't fall off or anything? cause my pickup kept falling down on my old Ibanez guitar for no good reason, so I figured I put some pressure on the bass pickup at all times, it might do some damage. that's why I'm paranoid. lol
books have knowledge, knowledge is power, power corrupts, corruption is a crime, and crime doesn't pay..so if you keep reading, you'll go broke.

UG Profile
Last edited by faqu at Dec 5, 2008,
My thumb always stays on the pick-up. Its all okay. When i tried using the srting as a thumb rest i found it wasn't stable enough, so i just learnt with it on the pick up. As you go along you'll find you thumb will only use the pick-up as a guide or unless your playing quite hard and fast. When playing anything else it'll learn too hover.

Being a guitarist you left hand will have learnt octave shapes and what not.....just remember too fret the note as close as the fret as possible, which means you'll be needing to stretch more than usual.

HMMM, other tips? well, go slow, learn progressively. Scales? its a good idea to not slap straight off, i know a friend who did and his style is horrible and often looses the tempo....

Just....keep playing
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Quote by faqu
That helped indeed, thanks for the post. =)

A question though:
You said you put your thumb on the next string as you go down, and I saw a lot of bassist do it, but I played the bass today, and I found that putting the thumb on the pickup is the most comfortable. Is it still ok?

If you put your thumb on the string, isn't it too much pressure to the string? same can be said about the pickup, it won't hurt it, right? I mean, it won't fall off or anything? cause my pickup kept falling down on my old Ibanez guitar for no good reason, so I figured I put some pressure on the bass pickup at all times, it might do some damage. that's why I'm paranoid. lol

I put my thumb on the pickup for the E, on the E for the A and often just keep my thumb on the A if I'm playing on the D or G strings. I'd recommend moving your thumb from string-to-string, as it may prevent unwanted string noise. For example, if you have your thumb on the pickup but play the A or D string, you may get the E string ringing out slightly, but hey, it's what feels comfortable to you, no-one's going to disagree.

As for pressure on the string, no need to worry, nothing bad will come of it, and same with the pickup. Just make sure the pickup screws are tight so they don't fall down. It won't do any damage to the pickup, just relax and have fun.
signature
1) yes its dirable but i find playing hard will slow you down be more smooth and you will play faster

2) i dont know bout elbows and such do whats comfortable i guess but you should not be on the pickup at all times you can play with holding onto nothing (this makes less tension though so its kinda harder imo) and you should atleast move on to the E string when hitting the d and g

3) Slapping wont do anything to your bass its basiclly just bouncing your string instead of plucking it

4) i really dont know bout any good videos
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
This was my first bass and it is very durable and actually if it is set up right sounds better than basses doube/triple the price.
BB.King +Freddie King+Albert King=three kings of blues!!
Dado23 Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
bassbassbassbassbassbassbassbass
They're solidly made basses. They had a load of them at my college when I was there and they took a lot of abuse. I really like their necks - for beginner basses they feel pretty good to play. They're certainly happy with being slapped.
Thank you so much for the advice everyone. =)

Been playing it all day long today, and yesterday, and it's so much fun!

Now I have blisters on my right hand...
how should I handle it? should I keep playing, should I rest for a day or two?
It's only a beginners thing, right? cause it would suck if I'll always have blisters.

UG Profile
Never fall into the trap of being a purely rhythmic bassist, and become quickly satisfied with poor technical proficiency. Be sure to explore the bass equally as a melodic instrument, rather than exclusively part of the rhythm section.
There's nothing worse then someone who will sit there constantly root-noting, irrespective of the context.
Quote by Metalfreak777
Dude if i were you i'd look more at bands like Dragonforce, Dragonland, Dream Theatre and Power Quest, most of their songs are either in E major, A major, C major or D majhor

Last edited by Mayano at Dec 6, 2008,