hey i was just wonderiong how would i go about converting 70's funk horn sections to guitar. its something i've been meaning to do for awhile because imo it would sound awesome. an example of a song that i would convert is 'a gritty nitty' by the pazant brothers. im also wondering about how i would create similar tones but that is less important at the moment
Quote by corburger
hey i was just wonderiong how would i go about converting 70's funk horn sections to guitar. its something i've been meaning to do for awhile because imo it would sound awesome. an example of a song that i would convert is 'a gritty nitty' by the pazant brothers. im also wondering about how i would create similar tones but that is less important at the moment

The horn section has a totally different function then the guitar. They were more used for accenting, while the guitar was used as a layer of harmony meets rhythm to reinforce the overall groove usually based on the hihats, and too use the notes to spice up the harmony a bit.

You can check out horn sections, and transcribe em for guitar, but you won't get the sound that made it 70's funk.

It would almost be as weird as transcribing metallica guitar riffs to piano. Although it will be in scale and correct and all that, but it will be a style "error". I love experimenting with musical styles, but ur taking the strongest essence away of what made it what it is.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I have a fantastic teacher who is highly proficient at funk, and to put it simply, he funks **** up. I've learned so much from this man, and owe him so much.

I totally agree that it would sound like a style error vs. a musical one to convert an entire horn section, but if you layer the funk right, there is no reason you can't do horn-like accents, like triads or sevenths at the 12 or higher. It provides a little contrast, especially if you're working a bassline, as well, during a little funky vamp or improv.

If your goal is to provide shape and dimension to some funk, using the whole neck is a great way, from the sixth and fifth strings for basslines, up to some high accents on the high strings.

Good luck.