My pavey valveking 212 and Ibanez S470 for a Crate BV-120H and Randall R412CXM Cab? I don't use the guitar anymore after I bought my SG so it's just been sitting there. I've heard some good and bad things about the Crate but I've also heard the same about the valveking and like it a lot. Your opinions? I play old thrice kind of music.
www.youtube.com/jordan123x
Last edited by JordantheAxe at Dec 5, 2008,
as much as I dislike the valveking I say you would be getting the short end of the stick. I think the valveking is MUCH better than the blue voodoo
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Try them out and think hard about it. You may decide that a second guitar will come in handy more than a stronger amp.
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
Thanks for the help. He said he'd throw in a boss me-50 which i would just sell for about $200. I care more about tone than money though. Anyone else?
www.youtube.com/jordan123x
i'd go for the blue voodoo, the problem with people is the preconcieved notions about crate amps and BV's in general, i haz one, it sounds great, u just need a darker sounding guitar and JJ tubes. vintage 30's also help a ****load
I think the BV sucks.

Sorry, but its just a fizzy, harsh, thin and weak sounding amp.
No, bad trade.

Try selling them both and grab a Mesa combo or something. You'll be MUCH happier in the long-run.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
see, ur problem is that you probably either had crap tubes or a wimpy cabinet, thats the thing with the BV, the cabinet makes a HUGE difference, i haz a framus cab, and it rapes.
Quote by enselmis
see, ur problem is that you probably either had crap tubes or a wimpy cabinet, thats the thing with the BV, the cabinet makes a HUGE difference, i haz a framus cab, and it rapes.

Ok, is there a case with ANY amp where the cabinet doesn't make a huge difference?
Quote by al112987
Ok, is there a case with ANY amp where the cabinet doesn't make a huge difference?

Well played.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
some amps are impacted by the cabinet alot more then others. like some amps you can run em through a couple different cabinets and they sound similar but with the BV its like a different amp completely
Quote by enselmis
some amps are impacted by the cabinet alot more then others. like some amps you can run em through a couple different cabinets and they sound similar but with the BV its like a different amp completely

Now you're pulling sh!t out of your ass. If the amp sounds the similar though a different cab then it's probably a similar cab with similar speakers.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by enselmis

Yeah, maybe if you're running them through similar cabs or through similar speakers.

My point is, I've never heard any amp sound good out of a crappy cab. The case where you say it'll sound like a completely different amp through a good cab applies to just about every amp in existence.
Quote by al112987
I think the BV sucks.

Sorry, but its just a fizzy, harsh, thin and weak sounding amp.

See, here's where I have to disagree.

I have a friend who owns one, and his doesn't sound fizzy or harsh; it's actually really rounded and defined.

I don't know, he did buy it used, and the stock tubes weren't in it. Maybe the Blue Voodoo is one of those amps that just really, really needs a tube swap?

EDIT: That, or maybe the Blue Voodoo is just a really hit or miss amp
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
that as well, JJ's or winged C's, totally the kicker. the framus has vintage 30's and it sounds good. i tried it with an engl cab and it sounded like crap, and the engl cab cost a thousand bucks more than the framus.