Hi guys, recently just got a custom guitar from a guy a traded with.. Great look, got his parts from warmoth.. Setup locally, need some opinions on upgrading.

Body: Hollowbody, Swamp Ash body with a flamed maple top
Neck: Maple wood + Pau Ferro fingerboard.
Pickups: Tonerider Generator and Rocksong
Bridge System: Wilkinson tremolo (floyd rose)
Tuners: Grover (Gold)

What i wish to play: AC/DC, Guns & Roses, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert and abit of clean/warm jazz songs.

The finish and condition of the guitar is great... But i need it to sound in the league of the PRS, Suhr, Gibson Supreme guitars. Any advice, please give the estimated 2nd hand costs as well. Also, let me know if i need to drill any extra holes into the body with regards to what u're suggesting. Meanwhile, should i drill holes into the guitar in order to place a truss rod cover and backplate?

Thanks for reading guys, really need some expert opinion here..
Bob
^ agreed
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
I don't really know what you're asking, but if your sound is what you're concerned with we're going to need to know what amp you're using.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I'm asking for any upgrades i should do.. In essence, i think the pickup is the main issue, and perhaps the floyd rose bridge system? Suggestions please!
Quote by BackDoorEntry
it was picture perfect when i didnt notice that umbrella!¬

haha i removed the umbrella already, weird why the previous owner left it there in the first place.. any suggestions?
Your amp will make a hell of a lot more difference than pickups and more minor stuff like that. So what amp do you have?
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by Bobsterrr
I'm asking for any upgrades i should do.. In essence, i think the pickup is the main issue, and perhaps the floyd rose bridge system? Suggestions please!

There are no upgrades you should do, it seems like a perfectly good, above-average guitar - there's little point upgrading guitars for the hell of it.
Oh, and that's not a Floyd Rose, it's just a Wilkinson Vintage Trem - having said that it's still one of the best non-locking trems on the market.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
There are no upgrades you should do, it seems like a perfectly good, above-average guitar - there's little point upgrading guitars for the hell of it.
Oh, and that's not a Floyd Rose, it's just a Wilkinson Vintage Trem - having said that it's still one of the best non-locking trems on the market.

Ok, should i switch it to a locking one? How bout my pickups? Should i change it to a Lindy Fralin's one or something of that league? I want to make this a masterpiece.. Something comparable to PRS or Gibson LP Supremes.
That guitar is perfect the way it is. Sorry, but it would be a great disservice to the original maker of that guitar to just blindly make change out random parts that you don't even have a decent knowledge of. Everything on that guitar is top notch. If you could understand that, then you wouldn't want to change it. Play the guitar and love it. Thats what it deserves.
Holy F**K that thing is gorgeous!

Man, makes me want a new guitar... =[
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by customisbetter
That guitar is perfect the way it is. Sorry, but it would be a great disservice to the original maker of that guitar to just blindly make change out random parts that you don't even have a decent knowledge of. Everything on that guitar is top notch. If you could understand that, then you wouldn't want to change it. Play the guitar and love it. Thats what it deserves.

Hmm i get what you mean, but i would probably change the pickups.. Should i drill holes to create a backplate for the guitar? CUrrently, it's open. How bout the truss rod cover? This minute details shouldnt affect the guitar right?
Leave it, the guitar is perfect the way it is.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
DON'T touch the guitar its looks beautiful and probaly sounds beautiful dont ruin it. may i ask what u had to trade to get that baby? and i speak for every1 when i say sound clips! and i hope ur playing that through a good amp!
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by Bobsterrr
Hmm i get what you mean, but i would probably change the pickups.. Should i drill holes to create a backplate for the guitar? CUrrently, it's open. How bout the truss rod cover? This minute details shouldnt affect the guitar right?
What you are demonstrating right now is that you have very little idea how to mod any guitar, let alone which is clearly already very good like this one.

For the love of god, stop. Don't change anything around. If it lives up to it's spec, that should be a fantastic instrument already. There is nothing you can do to it that will improve it.

If you're not quite getting the tone you want, look at changing your amp first. Afterall, your amp effects your tone more than your guitar does.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The only thing you need to do is get a truss rod cover for the head stock otherwise you're fine.
Ok thanks for the feedback guys, will look on the amp first, any amp suggestions for the stuff i'm playing? I'm playing through a Vox AD50VT currently.
Quote by customisbetter
V50

nuff said.

What V50? I'm looking into marshall etc.. any ideas? my budget is about 650 US, going into used currently
Quote by gstacey1
DON'T touch the guitar its looks beautiful and probaly sounds beautiful dont ruin it. may i ask what u had to trade to get that baby? and i speak for every1 when i say sound clips! and i hope ur playing that through a good amp!

Haha, thanks, it is a complicated deal but i sure am loving it! Great sound, just need to get the strings etc.. up and running.. Unfortunately, i do not have a good recording system to deal with, all i have is my mac