Hello guys,

I'm trying to compose a melancholic song, but I don't know so much about music theory. Do anyone knows what chords I can use? Or key, scales... everything. I want something that sounds "sad". I already tried a lot of minor chords but they don't sound like I want... maybe there are particular chords that I can use? Suspended, added, or what?

Thanks for help.
Well, the easiest mode for minor is a minor in my opinion. you just have the notes a h c d e f g and so you have the chords:
a minor
h dissonant
c major
d minor
e minor
f major
g major
Quote by blue_strat
This is Germany we're talking about.

Germany

Quote by stoner179
Thanks alot. When i read the first sentence, i dont know why, but i laughed in the middle of my first class at tech school. You sir have made me look like a fool for the first and last time
Remember, while the chords underneath can somewhat be orientated around a feeling/emotion, it's the melody that goes with them that really brings it out.

You could take a simple three (major) chord progression and make it sound sad/melancholy with the right choice of notes to sing/play over them.
Quote by LReiter
Well, the easiest mode for minor is a minor in my opinion. you just have the notes a h c d e f g and so you have the chords:
a minor
h dissonant
c major
d minor
e minor
f major
g major

B diminished should be here?

And Chris is right. Write your own songs.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by DarTHie
B diminished should be here?

well, yeah, i wasnt sure how it was called in english.
Quote by blue_strat
This is Germany we're talking about.

Germany

Quote by stoner179
Thanks alot. When i read the first sentence, i dont know why, but i laughed in the middle of my first class at tech school. You sir have made me look like a fool for the first and last time
Quote by LReiter
a minor
h dissonant
c major
d minor
e minor
f major
g major

? Your music system differs from ours. We have no H note and we call what you just called a mode a key and a mode is a totally different story. Im confused by this^ Its interesting though. The H is the same as B? If so do you know why its replaced with H?

To the TS : To make a sad song you dont have to use a minor key. You can but you can make just as sad of a song with a major key. Ill give you an example that everyone knows. Knocking on Heavens door is a sad sounding song. It is in the key of G major. It sounds sad because it does go from the V chord back to the I chord like a happy pop song with the typical I IV V progression. Instead it goes I V IV. This breaks the happy sound of resolving hte V chord and no minor chords were used.

Im not saying you have to use major or minor but rather im trying to illustrate that the chords you choose in relation to the key and one another are what you need to understand if your trying to convey a mood. Im not sure how much theory you know (I'm no master myself but im still trying to learn) but if you were playing in a key would you know the chords of that key or do you just go by your ear and what you like.