Hey you guys.
Anybody know any popular bassists in rock and pop bands that have been influenced by jaco pastorius?
Im doing a whole investigation about jaco pastorius and Im just gona do a small and brief section on who have been influenced by the great man himself.
References would be essential too.
Thanks.
Well, i know Wooten, Steve Bailey, Manring Victor Bailey all have been influenced by Jaco.
Of course there's more, that's just off the top of my head.
Rig of Doom:
1. Custom Warmoth Fretless Jazz
2. Geddy Lee Jazz (backup)
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
most bassists. I mean, everyone using a fretless was influenced by him, not always directly, but without him, they would not be fretless. that's on it's own a lot of bass players.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Jaco has touched every human being, directly or indirectly.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Pretty much every professional bassist has been influenced by Jaco in some way, shape or form.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by NakedBassist
Jaco has touched every human being, directly or indirectly.

so Jaco touches children? creepo!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Yes, I know this.
I know the obvious main ones, I was hoping for some actual names, and reference points. Internet sites or books.
I just have to point someone out in a rock genre.
Quote by fleajr_1412
Pretty much every professional bassist has been influenced by Jaco in some way, shape or form.

Nah man i have to disagree with that. Bass playing in the early 70's late 60's was totally divided, There was the funk bassist such as Larry Graham, the Jazz bassists such as Jaco and the more rock based bassists such as John Paul Jones or John Entwhistle.

They all went on to influence different groups of bassists, maybe by now the young generation of bassists are being more influenced by Jaco because he's more well known. But nowhere near every professional bassist
Quote by the humanity
so Jaco touches children? creepo!

He clearly does; just look at those pants!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxZWvhGE7CM
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Mic Todd from Coheed and Cambria
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHa_JmAqMjw
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I have a feeling Sting was quite heavily influenced by Jaco, and he does use a fretless bass. I'm not entirely sure though
Marge: You know Homer, it's easy to criticize.
Homer: Fun too!

Vegetarian Pastafarian
Michael Manring toured with Jaco, so that would be a very good point to use for where the influence came from.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Sting and Victor Wooten were both influenced by Jaco
I like rap, feel free to use that as an argument against me.
He's a major influence in my life and being a musician...

lol

-Zeelod

Love the Low end
I know he's probably not popular here but Tom Jenkinson (in his more melodic stuff as squarepusher) has some really obviously jaco-influenced stuff.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Every modern fusion/jazz player has been influenced by Jaco in some way, whether they admit to it or not.
Hadrien Feraud
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Quote by the_hoople
Every modern fusion/jazz player has been influenced by Jaco in some way, whether they admit to it or not.

Not me. I actually have distaste for most of his music >_> Mainly I dont like his tone. Its great for harmonics but not much else. Sure, you can say some of my influences liked him, but at that rate you could say Bach is an influence for me (well, he is, but thats besides the point)
^point taken, but in many ways we are the sum of all those musical parts in our playing. The reason I know about the answers.com site, its because a guitar teacher I know had his students list out three of the musicians who influence them. Then from there back a "generation" and three people that influenced those musicians. It was an interesting exercise that brought out some surprises.
Quote by SoftParade1967
Mic Todds so damn amazing!

very clean tone and playing in that video.

I like how Micheal Manring did that song way better though.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard