I recently started playin the guitar (Epiphone Les Paul Special II) and I've been using a little practice amp but I am looking to upgrade ($400 max). The specific sound that I am looking for is the Angels and Airwaves guitar type sound with the fade / delay etc. I've got the Epiphone Tom Delonge ES-333 Hollow Body waiting under the Christmas tree for me and I'm assuming that the guitar would be the first step and the amp would be next? Any insight would be awesome. Thanx!
Crushin Souls...Breakin Hearts...Stealin Girlfriends
any decent sounding amp with a modern gain structure would work great. i hate to be another person recommend these amps, but a peavey valveking or even used classic 30 should cut it. i have heard that epiphone so cal amps sound good for the tom delonge sound.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Well, with the valveking and the valve kind starts getting expensive as the wattage goes up.

Try this amp
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18212-18W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487055

It is MORE than loud enough for gigging, jams, any playing with a drum and it's all tube. Best it's under 200, which allows you to get this:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line6-Floor-POD-Plus-Multi-Effects-Pedal?sku=150212

This is what I'm getting today and I've been playing 6 years. It will give you several different distortions and models of amps, and 20 different effects and I think 6 delays. A&A uses a LOT of effects and buying them individually as pedals is quite difficult.

One other thing this pedal allows you to do is get everything set up, the EQ, the distortion, the effects, and save it all to one pedal. So just tap it and you will hear the exact tone for that song(that you set up)

The amp is a boutique amp is clear with a little distortion, so it will go well with the pedal board by giving the modeling of the board the warm tube tone.

BEST of all it's under $400 (if you know how to wheel and deal the guitar center guys)
commence flames

But admit, for a beginner who wants to find his own sound, a board that can do several different things isn't all that bad.
Quote by CoffeeCup

The amp is a boutique amp is clear with a little distortion, so it will go well with the pedal board by giving the modeling of the board the warm tube tone.

You do realize that the amp is NOT boutique right? The V series is great for the price, but they are by no means boutique....

But the V series isn't a bad suggestion over all. As for if you want the POD or like individual effects, thats up to you.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
You do realize that the amp is NOT boutique right? The V series is great for the price, but they are by no means boutique....

But the V series isn't a bad suggestion over all. As for if you want the POD or like individual effects, thats up to you.

For 200 he could get a distortion, a delay, maybe a phaser, not an impressive collection by any stretch of the imagination.

However, a multieffect will give him the opportunity to try different effects till he says, "I am def gonna use this effect, this effect and this distortion" then he can go out and splurge on those effects rather than having to spend hundreds more on trial and error.

Also, it's semantics, when I say boutique I mean uses EL-84 tubes, clean sound, vintage tone, Type A tubes, spring reverb, celestion V30's, etc.
I have the V16 palomino and can't be happier. I bought a more expensive combo(not too much more, the windsor) and still like the smallness and the vintage sound of the V series.
Just cause it uses EL-84's doesn't mean it 's boutique, it just means that it is British voiced. Boutique means that they are individually hand wired and assembled, not mass printed on circuit boards like the V series.The tubes are not Type A, the power is considered Type A, as opposed to the more efficient A/B, there are true vintage amps that are A/B (at least as far as I know). Now I am by no means bashing the V series as I have said, heck, I am even considering getting one.

As for putting the 200 towards separate effects, it is really up to the TS. If he has no experience what so ever with effects and doesn't know what he wants, then a Pod or GT multi-effects unit may be best. But if he knows he likes a great analog chorus and delay, he can grab a MXR Carbon Copy and a EHX Small Clone (sure a little more, but better quality I think...)

Like I said, it is really what he wants.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Just cause it uses EL-84's doesn't mean it 's boutique, it just means that it is British voiced. Boutique means that they are individually hand wired and assembled, not mass printed on circuit boards like the V series.The tubes are not Type A, the power is considered Type A, as opposed to the more efficient A/B, there are true vintage amps that are A/B (at least as far as I know). Now I am by no means bashing the V series as I have said, heck, I am even considering getting one.

As for putting the 200 towards separate effects, it is really up to the TS. If he has no experience what so ever with effects and doesn't know what he wants, then a Pod or GT multi-effects unit may be best. But if he knows he likes a great analog chorus and delay, he can grab a MXR Carbon Copy and a EHX Small Clone (sure a little more, but better quality I think...)

Like I said, it is really what he wants.

I agree on the effects, with a more experienced guitarist the smaller effects may be more suited, I use the Line6 because I want to switch my entire sound on the fly. (when playing ska I need to go from clean with a LOT of mids to metal with scooped mids)
As far as Boutique goes, I apologize for using the wrong word, I meant vintage voiced. I didn't know I would be accosted for using the wrong word.
Lots and lots of gibberish in those replies to me haha. In all honesty I just want the AvA fade sound and effects like you hear in "The Adventure" and pretty much every other one of their songs...I just absolutely love their music and the drums to their songs are so much fun to play I just want to know how to get the guitar down and have everything sound as close to perfect as possible. But at the same time I would like to have the distorted sound so I can play Norma Jean and other music like that. This is where I get lost....amps, pedals, and everything else, I really have no idea where to go to get this sound and the other sounds that I want. Is it a combination of things??? I really have no idea and I am totally clueless when it comes to this stuff. So I guess the appropriate question to ask is...If I were to buy the V crate Series Amp and the Line 6 Floor POD Plus Guitar Multi Effects Pedal, is that going to give me what I want? You guys have really been helpin me out on this one and I greatly appreciate it!
Quote by CoffeeCup
I agree on the effects, with a more experienced guitarist the smaller effects may be more suited, I use the Line6 because I want to switch my entire sound on the fly. (when playing ska I need to go from clean with a LOT of mids to metal with scooped mids)
As far as Boutique goes, I apologize for using the wrong word, I meant vintage voiced. I didn't know I would be accosted for using the wrong word.

No worries man, that's what this forum is about, learning what you didn't know! No need to apologize man.

Quote by StickTologY
Lots and lots of gibberish in those replies to me haha. In all honesty I just want the AvA fade sound and effects like you hear in "The Adventure" and pretty much every other one of their songs...I just absolutely love their music and the drums to their songs are so much fun to play I just want to know how to get the guitar down and have everything sound as close to perfect as possible. But at the same time I would like to have the distorted sound so I can play Norma Jean and other music like that. This is where I get lost....amps, pedals, and everything else, I really have no idea where to go to get this sound and the other sounds that I want. Is it a combination of things??? I really have no idea and I am totally clueless when it comes to this stuff. So I guess the appropriate question to ask is...If I were to buy the V crate Series Amp and the Line 6 Floor POD Plus Guitar Multi Effects Pedal, is that going to give me what I want? You guys have really been helpin me out on this one and I greatly appreciate it!

As for The Adventure, I have never heard it til now. Just youtubed it. I am pretty sure I heard DeLonge uses Marshall JCM900. So a the Crate V33 would be good since it is British voiced. He also is using what appears to be delay. The MXR Carbon Copy would be great for this sound. The amp is what, like $200 USD, and the Carbon Copy is $150 USD. So that should HELP you nail the sound you're looking for. It wont be dead on, but close.

**EDIT**By the way, those two links you posted were what I was talking about, the Carbon copy for a stand alone delay or the Boss GT-8 or 10 for a whole mess of goodies...I prefer stand alone, but thats just me.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Another question....What is the difference between Tube and Solid State???
sticky. that'll explain tube/SS differences.

and just b/c an amp is running el84s, DOESN'T mean it's british voiced necessarily. voicing comes from a COMBINATION of tube type AND circuitry. some amps, including the randall i own, can use both el34 OR 6L6 type tubes, but i'm pretty sure it's an american voiced amp.

we need to be careful with how much misguided information is coming from us, cuz then if it spreads to all the new guys, soon there's a bunch of parotting and it gets real annoying, MORE annoying than the 'good metal tone only needs preamp overdrive, not poweramp', get what i mean?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
sticky. that'll explain tube/SS differences.

and just b/c an amp is running el84s, DOESN'T mean it's british voiced necessarily. voicing comes from a COMBINATION of tube type AND circuitry. some amps, including the randall i own, can use both el34 OR 6L6 type tubes, but i'm pretty sure it's an american voiced amp.

we need to be careful with how much misguided information is coming from us, cuz then if it spreads to all the new guys, soon there's a bunch of parotting and it gets real annoying, MORE annoying than the 'good metal tone only needs preamp overdrive, not poweramp', get what i mean?

I know right? I don't listen to 90% of the people who post here
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by slash_rocks2005

Ok, maybe I should have said GENERALLY, since normally an EL84 is a British voiced amp. And I know the voicing comes from a combination of tubes and circuitry but I honestly didn't want to go into all that, heck the TS didnt know the difference between tube and solid-state (no offense man )
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
hey it's all good. but you guys know how it is, if you're not specific the FIRST time around, that's all it takes for a newer guy to assume that what you said first, is the way it always goes.

UG is a learning experience anyway, they're bound to run across the detailed facts eventually. no biggy, unless it starts a bandwagonning phrase hahaha.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Thanx for all of the help! I appreciate it!
I love AvA's sound get a good amp, then start your board bro because in AvA that is were the sound is from. getting the exact is impossible because all his shit is racked and i doubt you have 5 k to spend lol. I personally think digital delay, dd3 would be good. phaser, maybe phase 90 or small stone(i prefer stone.) and they are not huge on distortion but i know tom uses a full tone mosfet for blink he probably uses that or just the vox for distorted. but unless you have another shit ton of money to buy an ac 30 get a full tone. Anyone agree? Disagree?
Quote by superquin
I love AvA's sound get a good amp, then start your board bro because in AvA that is were the sound is from. getting the exact is impossible because all his shit is racked and i doubt you have 5 k to spend lol. I personally think digital delay, dd3 would be good. phaser, maybe phase 90 or small stone(i prefer stone.) and they are not huge on distortion but i know tom uses a full tone mosfet for blink he probably uses that or just the vox for distorted. but unless you have another shit ton of money to buy an ac 30 get a full tone. Anyone agree? Disagree?

you gotta be ****ing me.
mojostompboxes.com
I would agree with what CoffeeCup said. Not only that but I believe one of the tabs for The Adventure has a setting for the Delay in the song. Could be useful for helping you to find the AVA sound while crafting your own.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
For your first amp, I strongly recommend getting a modeling amp. That way, you can find out exactly what you like and don't like, and you'll be exposed to a lot of different sounds and effects, so you can learn what is what.

The Peavey Vypyr is (IMO) the best entry level modeler out there right now. I've heard the Fender Mustangs are also good, but I haven't played one myself.

I'm not sure if the Mustang has a footswitch or anything, but you should definitely look into getting a Vypyr 30 or a Vypyr 75 (if you're playing with a drummer), and a Sanpera pedal.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X