I need some help putting the tubes in...
I got it in the mail, and so the tubes were obviously not in...the manual says where they go, but not really what to do so can anyone give me a hand?
it's a mesa f-30 BTW.
I think you just have to pull the old tube to remove it and place the new one of same type in the same socket. I've heard that you shouldn't touch the tubes with bare hands while removing them cause they can blow up and harm you (because of temperature and natural oil on your hands) but ain't 100% sure of that info.
Quote by metalgirl0
I think you just have to pull the old tube to remove it and place the new one of same type in the same socket. I've heard that you shouldn't touch the tubes with bare hands while removing them cause they can blow up and harm you (because of temperature and natural oil on your hands) but ain't 100% sure of that info.

There's no tubes in it right now because it was just shipped to me, so i just have the jj's and the sovteks in their boxes and i don't really know where they go...well i know where they go i have a diagram but im not sure exactly what to do ive never done it before and i don't want to break anything...i'm a klutz
Last edited by tona_107 at Dec 5, 2008,
Look at the tubes. Note the pins sticking out.

Look at the sockets the tubes go into. Note the holes.

Plug the tubes into the socket so that the pins go in the holes. Just push them in. Hopefully it came biased for those tubes.
Quote by pak1351
Look at the tubes. Note the pins sticking out.

Look at the sockets the tubes go into. Note the holes.

Plug the tubes into the socket so that the pins go in the holes. Just push them in. Hopefully it came biased for those tubes.

thanks...according to the mesa manual you don't need to bias mesa's...and i think these tubes came with it.
like... according to the diagram i think i found where the JJ's go, because there is 4 metal cylindrical tubes hanging down from the bottom of the amp so that looks like where 4 tubes would go..but they don't look like they'd fit?
I think i see where the two sovteks go though right at the front.
congrats on your new mesa, i got the same one a while back. If i'm understanding you right, the cylindrical tubes are still on the amp. You can twist those off which reveal the socket for the tubes. After, those metal tubes go back on to protect the tubes. One tip, I remember hearing to wipe off fingerprints when putting in the tubes so I put mine in holding them with a cloth. Hope this helps.
GMO INC.
Quote by itormentbunnies
congrats on your new mesa, i got the same one a while back. If i'm understanding you right, the cylindrical tubes are still on the amp. You can twist those off which reveal the socket for the tubes. After, those metal tubes go back on to protect the tubes. One tip, I remember hearing to wipe off fingerprints when putting in the tubes so I put mine in holding them with a cloth. Hope this helps.

thanks a lot for the help buddy.
also, the guy who sold it to me seems to have stuffed a leather bag in the bottom with some stuff in it? not sure what but i can't get it out cause of the speaker.
Yeah, that stuff stays in there. I forget what it is (sorry, not an expert O.o) but unless you mean the footswitch is in there, don't touch it.
GMO INC.
Quote by itormentbunnies
Yeah, that stuff stays in there. I forget what it is (sorry, not an expert O.o) but unless you mean the footswitch is in there, don't touch it.

ahah **** i just tried for like a half hour to take it out i hope it's not broken?
The "oil on the hands when changing valves" is nonsense I'm afraid. I say it time and time again on here, but it doesn't make any difference. By all means give them a wipe down after you've put them in if you want, but it wont give them some extra quality of you put them in with a sock over your hand. Oh, for the record, I wouldn't recommend handling them whilst eating a bag of cheese and onion crisps, but just be sensible about it.

The myth stems from people knowing that you're not supposed to handle certain light bulbs or theatrical lamps, but not realising that those reach far greater temperatures than valves in an amp. And yes, I do realise how hot they can get, having burnt myself more times than i can remember over the years, but they don't get as hot as some of those theatrical lamps. (burnt myself on those too, with scars to prove it)

So yeah, just line up the pics and push it in. It will have some sort of orientation tab on it, or perhaps a space in the pins, so it can only go in one way. As long as your not forcing it in when that isnt lined up, you'll be ok.

Edit: the thing in the bottom is the reverb tank. You wont have damaged it, but its best to leave it alone if you dont know what your doing.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
Quote by tona_107
ahah **** i just tried for like a half hour to take it out i hope it's not broken?

just put the tubes in and fire it up, you're probably ok. Let us know how it goes, i havnt retubed my F-100 yet
Quote by eyebanez333
The leather bag is for the spring reverb

I now realize that haha ****.

thanks for all the help dudes ill let you know.