Whats up dudes? I just recently got a deal on Highway One strat brand new. It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me. This is my first guitar with a trem and I guess im not impressed at all. The whammy bar sits so low almost by my input and it's hard to grab, and everytime I even think about touching it, the guitar goes out of tune. Even when Im playing normal it goes out of tune. Other than that it rocks. Any suggestions?
Quote by SloppyJoseph
Whats up dudes? I just recently got a deal on Highway One strat brand new. It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me. This is my first guitar with a trem and I guess im not impressed at all. The whammy bar sits so low almost by my input and it's hard to grab, and everytime I even think about touching it, the guitar goes out of tune. Even when Im playing normal it goes out of tune. Other than that it rocks. Any suggestions?

It doesn't fit your style, so you thought it would be good?
can i have some pics of the trem?
maybe set up ain't right

about the whammy being too low

grab a saw and shorten the arm
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me.

wtf? im lost....
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Locking tuners, dude.

Rub a graphite pencil between the grooves in the nut.

yeah i did this and now i whammy all over the place and it stays in tune bout 90% of the time (i dont have the locking tuners)
Quote by SloppyJoseph

Your logic amazes me on countless levels.

Anyway, I don't know what you mean by any of that stuff. My strats tremolo arm flops down and I can reach it, though that's really something you work up, and mine barely ever goes out of tune aside from regular day-to-day detuning and new-string detuning, and my tuners, odds-are, are much cheaper than yours. You either got a dud or your using it wrong.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Because I wanted something totally different to get me out of this Metalcore rut that im stuck in. I wanted something to start learning some country and more blues stuff on. I guess I should have said my CURRENT style. Jesus.

Anyways im not buying anything for this piece. If it can't handle what it's made for I will just sell it and get something that's worth a crap. I will try the graphite thing. Thanks.

And for the whammy bar. It does sit too high. I really can't just cut it down since it's threaded on the end. But when it actually "Tightens" its so far down it's hard to grab real quick. I guess that's just something ill have to get used to.
Quote by SloppyJoseph
Because I wanted something totally different to get me out of this Metalcore rut that im stuck in. I wanted something to start learning some country and more blues stuff on. I guess I should have said my CURRENT style. Jesus.

Anyways im not buying anything for this piece. If it can't handle what it's made for I will just sell it and get something that's worth a crap. I will try the graphite thing. Thanks.

And for the whammy bar. It does sit too high. I really can't just cut it down since it's threaded on the end. But when it actually "Tightens" its so far down it's hard to grab real quick. I guess that's just something ill have to get used to.

Well, yes, as you said, you should've said that. It really doesn't seem to make sense to buy a guitar that doesn't fit you if you don't say your not looking to get into different styles. =/

...You realize 99% of sub-$1,000 guitars get new tuners, right?

Wait, sit too high? A moment ago you were complaining about it sitting too low.

If you put a little piece of plumbing tape on the threads of the bar it will make it so you can keep the bar in a tight fixed position anywhere. the graphite trick works pretty well, a better option would be to get a lsr roller nut put in (i know you don't want to spend any more on it but it's cheap and would help a lot)
The height of the bar might be a little high. And the position the bar sits at is a little low (Rotated too much for me). Ahh good idea with the plumbers tape ill do that when I get home. I might check out the nut option. I put one on my old guitar, not too hard.

And i will disagree with the tuner comment. Didn't replace them on my Epi SG, Didn't replace them on my Hellraiser, Didn't replace them on my Acoustic......etc.
Wait, I'm confused. By "sit", do you mean the part you grab or the point where it bends into the arm?

As for the tuners, hence why I said 99%. Some companies put good tuners on, but a lot have crap tuners stock, and even then people put replacements on just because they like a brand and stuff like that.

Im talking about the actual arm and the point where it tightens up and rests (The angle of the arm.) When it's bar is tight, it is almost on top of my guitar cable (Perpendicular to the ground.) It's hard for me to reach all the way down there real fast and grab it. But the plumbers tape will take care of that.
Quote by Jac the frog
In first : Now a "fender" is not a Fender ( The last real fenders are G&L ... please)
So, in fact the "fender" brand build today various "copy" of the original desing...
How cost a HWO and a Custom Shop ... And yet they are two stratocaster with the "fender" name stamped on ....
At the Leo fender era, a strat (and not a lot of models like today) and a Les Paul : At the same price in the shop... ( and sometime the strat cost more).
How cost a good new LesPaul today ? ... Now, you know the price for a good ( copie of) strat .

i dont know why you bothered to say this and im pretty sure leo fender sold the originally design with the company making it a fender
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Last edited by alternitivebass at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me

lmfao, stupidest thing i've heard in a while!
yes the whole thread, the whoping 20 posts...make that 21...you should have said that you want to get out of the metal core thing...if you cant play blues or jazz stuff still, learn to play some REAL metal.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by SloppyJoseph

wtf are you talking about
and "other than that it rocks". you should have made the title "strat wont stay in tune".
Get it set up
Quote by Bling Dogg
It doesn't fit your style, so you thought it would be good?

Yeah thats what i was thinkin.

I dont know much about those trems...maybe tension springs?
Quote by SloppyJoseph

yeah it was just so obvious and made it totally neccasary for you to say jesus.
and get it set up
Um maybe it has new strings on it......and when you have new strings on a guitar it goes out of tune alot.....
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Just get the thing set up.
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
Quote by SloppyJoseph

You don't need a different guitar to play a different style of music. If it's got 6 strings you can play anything with it.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
You don't need a different guitar to play a different style of music. If it's got 6 strings you can play anything with it.

AGREED!!!

To the OP...

Get your guitar professionally setup and ask him questions. You bought a guitar you obviously know nothing about and now you are complaining that you don't like the trem?!?!? Come on!
OMG, who gives a CRAP, guys.

it's not going to be the tuners. (99%? WTF)

it's going to be an unbalanced bridge.
Easy.

and if the bar is loose then plumber's tape, like said.

help with setup? click my green link.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by SloppyJoseph
It doesn't fit my playing style at all so I figured it would be good for me.

How immature is everyone, not to understand this point of view?

You learn the most when you step out of your comfort zone; nothing gets your creativity going like trying something different. Hell, I used to be a dedicated Ibanez player and then one day I impulse-bought a Tele on credit. Never looked back....
Sounds like he wanted to try single coils instead of humbuckers - hence the Strat.
The bar does not need to be tightened all the way. Put teflon tape on the threads, screw it on so that it hangs perpendicular, but can be easily grabbed with your pinky finger and swung into position for use. Or, if you want the bar parallel to the ground, add enough tape so that the bar sits where you want. It's going to be tough to keep it exactly in the same spot, and you'll probably knock into the bar (as well as the volume knob) if it's in the way.
Quote by Jac the frog
In first : Now a "fender" is not a Fender ( The last real fenders are G&L ... please)
So, in fact the "fender" brand build today various "copy" of the original desing...
How cost a HWO and a Custom Shop ... And yet they are two stratocaster with the "fender" name stamped on ....
At the Leo fender era, a strat (and not a lot of models like today) and a Les Paul : At the same price in the shop... ( and sometime the strat cost more).
How cost a good new LesPaul today ? ... Now, you know the price for a good ( copie of) strat .

.....What relevance does that have to this thread?
HI
new strings take time to wear in.
Here lies a problem that most guitar players face in this day of internet tab and short attention spans — they don't know how to express themselves.

-Nick Layton
Just another idea to put some tension on the trem arm. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Tremolo-Arm-Tension-Springs--12--420519-i1133541.gc
Plumbers or Teflon tape will work but will wear off as you use the trem The spring idea might work longer.
Since you got the guitar new you should have the owners manual which gives you instruction on set up.
It wasn't mentioned but if you try or tried a different tuning you will need to readjust the trem springs this will also happen changing string gauge.
Quote by kyle62
How immature is everyone, not to understand this point of view?

You learn the most when you step out of your comfort zone; nothing gets your creativity going like trying something different. Hell, I used to be a dedicated Ibanez player and then one day I impulse-bought a Tele on credit. Never looked back....

Thank you dude!! And the guitar has been setup. I got it from a local shop and the guy who set it up initially sold it to me. I guess i just need to break it in a little more.