I'm meeting up with my drummer tomorrow, who is bringing a long a new guitarist to jam with us. The other guitarists we've used have never been that great (I'm a bass player before a guitarist and I play better than they do on guitar), but because of this I've never actually had to use scales, beyond the pentatonic that is. So what are gonna be some good scales to get down for this jam session (on a 5 string), it would probably on the hard rock/metal spectrum.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Major ones might help, I can post a few tricks I found for learning them that helped me if you want.
C major, or A penatonic
Gear

Standard Epiphone LP W/Dimarzio Super 2's
1973 Ampeg VT-22

Fulltone Clyde
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Boss tu-2
Boss sd-1
Ehx Little Big Muff
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss eq-7
Ehx Memory Man
Digitech Delay X-series
Ehx Holy Grail
Major & Minor.

That's all you really need.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
blues scale is very useful. in any jam really.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The minor pentatonic/blues scale is going to be the bread and butter of almost any rock based guitarist, or guitarist period for that matter. If you're going into more metallish territories, definitely have the minor scale down as well.