I'm looking to start recording my own stuff, but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with recording. File types and conversion and sound cards and preamps and everything is confusing the heck out of me, so I figured I'd just post and hopefully you guys can help me out. I've read the FAQ threads and what not but I'm still pretty confused.

All I want to do is record my electric guitar to my computer, and then be able to edit it so the I can play rhythm and lead for the same song, and edit them to combine them, you know?

Eventually I would like to add vocals but if that's going to be a lot more costly, then I would rather just be able to record only guitar right now, and then maybe buy vocal recording stuff later. I'm not looking for anything great, just something decent.

I have a really nice Dell XPS laptop, I'm not sure what the soundcard is, but the rest of the specs should be up to par for just about anything.

I appreciate any help you guys can give me a lot, and if I left anything out or something is confusing let me know. Thanks
get a USB interface like an M Audio or Tascam. This will let you go direct into the interface through Line in (or a Mic if you want) that will go to the interface, then to your lap top via USB.

you can get free software like Audacity or Krystal, and add tracks on top of eachother - so you can record the Rhythm track, then record a Lead track on top.

Its not too difficult once you start playing around, but get yourself a USB interface and you will be set. Tascam as a set that comes with the Interface, a condenser mic, and Cubase LE4 which is a nice software set.

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
^ the tascam product would work.

however....

if you want to use what you already have and not spend any money then just run a cord from the amp out (1/4 + 1/8 adapter -> line in) or from headphone out (1/8 cord -> line in).
If you download audacity (or buy software) then you are good to go. you should be able to get decent sounding recordings like this. however.... free does not equal best quality.

Good luck and I hope I helped you out,
-Ryan
Quote by Jared R. Boyd
^ the tascam product would work.

however....

if you want to use what you already have and not spend any money then just run a cord from the amp out (1/4 + 1/8 adapter -> line in) or from headphone out (1/8 cord -> line in).
If you download audacity (or buy software) then you are good to go. you should be able to get decent sounding recordings like this. however.... free does not equal best quality.

Good luck and I hope I helped you out,
-Ryan

Ok, my amp has a recording output thats 1/4 inch. So I need 2, 1/4 inch cables, a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter, and then where's the line input, on my comp I'm assuming?

If I got the tascam, how would that work, do I just plug the 1/4 inch from the guitar into the tascam or would I still need other cables?
you have got it right on the money.

also with the tascam you can run the guitar -> 1/4 -> amp in -> amp line out -> tascam in
-> usb to comp

yeah. you should be good to go.
Alright, so I have one 1/4 inch cable. So I should need another 1/4 inch cable if I get the tascam, and if I don't I also need a 1/4 to 1/8 inch converter?

So where is the line in?

This is the front of my laptop, which I believe is two headphone inputs and one microphone input. The little picture by the hole to the right is a microphone at least. Is that the line in?
Last edited by dolphinfan2k5 at Dec 7, 2008,
Never underestimate the importance of good mics and good monitors. Good software is really near the bottom of the chain of importance for a good recording. A good interface is in the middle of the chain.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Jared R. Boyd
yes sir.

hp by any chance? lol I'm pretty sure we have the same comp. HP Pavillion dv6000?

Nope, I have a Dell XPS m1530. sorry lol