Hi, I just wondered how everyone here goes about learning songs. I personally just sit in front of guitar pro although its annoying cause a lot of tabs are wrong
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Learn sections, mainly one riff at a time then connect them up when I have each part up to speed.

If tabs are wrong then try to figure it out yourself, ear training is way too overlooked.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^ pretty much like that. For the solos, i have no idea, because i havent realy learned any.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Learn sections, mainly one riff at a time then connect them up when I have each part up to speed.

If tabs are wrong then try to figure it out yourself, ear training is way too overlooked.

+1

I don't know how many times I've heard somebody say I can't learn this song because the tabs suck. Learning by ear is something that every musician should be able to do.
Learn songs by ear. Many people will say use tabs for this or that or too check etc etc. IMO its best to learn songs by ear and if they sound wrong keep at it til they sound perfect. For fast parts download audacity and slow it down. For someone to tab a song they must use their ear and for someone to decide a tab is incorrect their ear must be developed enough that they can hear the bum notes in which case you would have to use your ear to correct this. I would say its far better to just use your ear. Its THE most important aspect of playing any instrument and its essential that it is developed. Far too many players rely on tabs, get their playing up to an advanced standard technically but can't play anything interesting musically and usually suck majorly at bends and vibrato because their ears are undeveloped.
Andy
For the most part I will look at a tab just to get the key signature so I have a better idea of what notes are being played. Then I just listen to the song until I get it.

For solos however, if the solo is quite fast and/or complex, then I may use a tab to help out a bit.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Andy_Mclaughlan
Learn songs by ear.
Andy

dude you get a +10000 and an assorted basket of baked e-goodies, including e-cakes and e-cookies.

seriously, use your ear. thats how i try to learn EVERYTHING, sometimes i'm successful, sometimes im not. i can usually ear out a large chunk of the song (if not the whole thing) then i'll play it against the song to see if i'm right, THEN i'll check it against a pletheora of tabs and adjust the parts that im playing wrong as needed. your ear will serve you infinitely better than tab in the end.
Far too many players rely on tabs, get their playing up to an advanced standard technically but can't play anything interesting musically and usually suck majorly at bends and vibrato because their ears are undeveloped.

I'm still fixing this woeful deficit in my playing.
i generally hate guitar pro.. cause i know a few ppl that taught themselves how to play off that... they have no musical background.. and they are so guitar pro biased that they are always right because "thats wat the tabs say".. even if its entirely wrong and any idiot can hear its wrong.. its not even the program.. i just hate the people that sit behind the pc working on music from that and still call themselves guitarists... yet they dont know wat a basic G chord is

sooooooooo i hate it for that reason.. its not always bad though.. id rather work out the pieces myself by ear.. then if there is something i cant figure out ill either use one of the tabs on UG or guitar pro...
Quote by turtlewax
Hi, I just wondered how everyone here goes about learning songs. I personally just sit in front of guitar pro although its annoying cause a lot of tabs are wrong

I sit in front of a CD player or computer and use my ears & knowledge to figure it out.

Tabs are okay for when you are starting out, but ultimately you have to get past that stage.
Besides a majority of the tabs here at UG are wrong anyway. Your better off developing your ear.

- be patient, it takes time and practice.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Dec 5, 2008,
Another point I might add about learning by ear is understanding how your favourite players are phrasing. I was just working out the start of an Al Di Meola song there called One Night Last June...and alot of the time Al will be playing slightly behind the beat or slightly after. Now relying on tabs you would get all the right notes(in theory) and then go ahead palying along with it and maybe sort of lock in with the phrasing. But learning by ear you are forced to listen and notice all the minute details. For instance some times maybe a phrase will end and the player will slide down to a new note which is sort of sliently heard if you understand my meaning...if you read a tab and that note was tabbed I think subconciously you are going to be worrying about sounding that note whereas if you learn by ear you will hear the nuances and the subtlety with much better clarity and as such this is how you will instinctively try to play it. It takes the robotic edge off of it. This leads me to my next point which isnt exactly related to the original question but it is related...as much as people will say don't copy players etc etc because you will sound like them. I think it is best when working out your favourite songs to learn it by ear perfectly. Note for note perfect. Try to get all the same inflections that player uses. Same vibrato, same phrasing, same everything. The goal is not to be able to sound like that player exactly in the long run. The goal is to hear these subtle nuances and be able to apply them. So, in future when you are hearing your own music in your head, you will start thinking about subtlety as opposed to just a collection of notes forming a melody played any old way. I hope I just made sense to everyone there.
Andy
very, very carefully.

Quote by Serial 177
guitar pro bull****, *whimpers*

hey man, I got friends that use that. They can make amazing songs, imaginations shot all over the place. If i wasn't so lazy, I'd use it myself but i prefere to play by ear also.

It's a good device to get yourself started with though, to develope a technical background.
Last edited by sazzitzki at Dec 6, 2008,
Quote by sazzitzki
It's a good device to get yourself started with though, to develope a technical background.

In my opinion you shouldn't develop a "background" in anything; all things should be learned alongside each other: technique, musicality, ear training...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
mixture of ear and tabs. although i'm trying to wean myself off of tabs - i just get a bit lazy sometimes, which is stupid. i learn a part, slow it down, play it until i have it to speed, move on the next part, get that to speed, connect them, get it to speed and keep going until i have the whole song.
I'm crap at learning by ear, however I'm still a notch above the tab readers because when I get a GP file I turn of the tab and read the notation.
If it is something that I really care about and want to learn from, then I will learn it by ear. Now say I have to learn a bunch of radio hits or some gay Creed song because my band wants to play it? Then I use Guitar Pro.

When I'm learning by ear, I use either Windows Media player or when I need to slow down a fast peice, I use WinAmp with the PaceMaker plugin. Play, pause, recreate the few notes I just heard, repeat.
i have been using my multi-pedal, with my mp3 player plugged into the jam-along input, and my headphones. for solos i do the same but my pedal can sample anything being played through it (guitar or mp3) and then i slow it down with the pedal and learn the tricky parts of the solo. its a zoom multi-pedal by the way.
I sometimes learn by ear and other times I'll learn from GP. If the tab is wrong then I'll learn it from listening to the song then check to see if it's right with other tabs. If there's a solo then I will use GP to slow it down and learn it gradually.
We ain't pushing the boundaries, we're blowing them up.
We ain't trying to expand the scene, we want the scene to erupt.

I'll learn each section, not worrying too much about getting it up to speed yet. As soon as I can, I'll glue the sections together and play the whole song. Then I'll look at it, and decide the one or two sections that are the weakest. I'll go off and work on those for a while, then glue it back together. Decide again which sections are the weakest, and so on, repeat process.

One other thing. If there's a particular section that's giving me a lot of trouble - to the point where I'm hitting the point of diminishing returns just by practicing it a lot - I'll find the part that is giving me the most trouble, take that fingering, and spend time improvising with it. I've found that can really free-up things. It just feels a lot more like "your" material afterwards, and it's a great way for getting bits of what you're learning and incorporating them into your bag of tricks.