Ok so this is the last thread I make before going shopping for my christmas presents. What I'm basically doing is stocking up on good pedals. I've decided to get:

Crybaby classic
Holy Grail
Boss BF-3 (I probably won't get this, though, as it exceeds my limit to spend)
A tube distortion pedal.

The distortion pedal is tricky because I can't decide what to get between the two I have narrowed down to. I am not sure whether or not to get the Blackstar HT-Dual pedal (199.99 USD) or the Damage Control Demonizer (299.99)

I play through the front end of a Blackheart little giant (apartment, can't be loud ) with an epi lp custom. I play some classic rock, some blues-rock, but mostly progressive rock and metal (I've probably said this so many times before in this forum that most people know it already, but I'm looking for a tool-ish sound. I realize a pedal isn't going to give me the sound of a multi-thousand dollar rig, but I just want a close sound).
Tube distortion pedals aren't going to get you a progressive/metal tone in my experience, it sounds to me like you'd be better with an solid state boost.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Prophet of Page
Tube distortion pedals aren't going to get you a progressive/metal tone in my experience, it sounds to me like you'd be better with an solid state boost.

Well my amp is a single channel 5 watt. Think along the lines of an epi VJ.

What would you recommend in place of the distortion pedal?

(other than a boost, which wouldn't help with a single channel. I don't think at least.)
Quote by Prophet of Page

Very well said indeed, try using an overdrive pedal that can add some gain (like modded tubescreamers) to get more grit and then if you need volume boost for lead add a clean boost. To get a closer sound consider getting a similar guitar, this rig is pretty decent for an all-around acceptable tone.

EDIT: Just so you know, clean boosts are just the clearest volume boosters out there, it'll just add output to your distorted signal, it won't get it clean or whatsoever.

Oh, if you haven't already check out the vox wah, same price (if not less costly), way better sound.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Last edited by Gäbe at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by Gäbe
Very well said indeed, try using an overdrive pedal that can add some gain (like modded tubescreamers) to get more grit and then if you need volume boost for lead add a clean boost. To get a closer sound consider getting a similar guitar, this rig is pretty decent for an all-around acceptable tone.

So let's say I get a, oh idk, maxon OD-9. Than a boosta grande (which, for the recor, looks ****ing stupid ) Would that give me a good sound?

I already have a les paul (like Adam Jones) and plan on swapping the pups for the classic Jazz/JB combo.

edit: Wait a minute....

http://www.guitarcenter.com/T-Rex-Moller-Overdrive-and-Clean-Boost-Guitar-Pedal-151129-i1322360.gc

???
Last edited by SeveralSpecies at Dec 5, 2008,
To get the sound I'd say invest in a real good overdrive pedal or buy a boutique one made by a local around your place, at least the od-808 of any overdrive maker, the od-9s of any of them are just cheaper issues with more easily available components, consider spending (as much as you wanted for your tube disto pedal) and you'll know what I'm talking about, one real monster seems to be the sky blue overdrive by (I don't remember which company).

Maxon od808 or ibanez ts808, and etc etc. Any one with decent sound all 'round the clock, because I swear to (insert own beliefs) that you'll want to kill yourself if you get something half assed, you'll tire of it pretty quickly, let's say you buy a 100 $ one, want another one, it won't have the resell value, while a good one you'll invest in will last longer, give you a more enjoyable experience and WILL have resell value, might even get pricier with time.

EDIT: As for the t-rex double-pedal, ****... you won't get bored with that :P. But might be overkill for your needs, go try one out along with a good OD to get something to grind your teeth to.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Last edited by Gäbe at Dec 5, 2008,
Oh ok. The OD-9 is actually more expensive than the od-808 by maxon, so that works splendidly.

Also, what about that T-Rex pedal. That seems pretty legit.

edit: Aha. Well I am spending all of tomorrow in GC trying out pedals (that's why I'm using GC.com) so who knows. I may find a different combo of pedals that gives me the tone I want.

I like the looks of the T-Rex, though. But I will try out a od-808 and a boost just to compare. Also, I'll try out those distortion pedals just to see how far off I was

edit2: Btw, the sky blue OD is by mad professor, and I think it's way too expensive for my budget
Last edited by SeveralSpecies at Dec 5, 2008,