I've got a Les Paul with an EMG 81/85 setup (basically a Zakk Wylde setup), along with a Roland Cube 15x practice amp. After playing the Les Paul on a friends 80w VOX, I've learnt my guitar is seriously let down by my amp...the cube is a decent amp, it's just dull and I've wanted to venture into using effects for a while now (money always a problem).

Now on my friends amp, the volume wasn't really cranked but I noticed I was getting a hell of a lot more sustain and combined with reverb made playing lead sound 10x better. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to pay for a fancy amp so I've started to look at some effects pedals.

Another friend has an Digitech RP50, which he plugs into a ****ty Squier amp and plays with his Ibanez RG - now this setup kicks up a hell of a lot more sustain than mine, I think due to the pedal - is this true? This also sounded 10x better for playing lead on.. alot of sustain, and then some nice reverb from the RP50 effects.

If so, which multi-fx would you recommend?

I don't have a great budget, and I was thinking of choosing between the Digitech RP50 and the RP250 (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_effects/digitech/rp250/index.html) which seems to have many more features than the RP50.

Any help would be awesome
Cheers
Last edited by rageagainst at Dec 5, 2008,
My Digitech GNX1 sounds like ass with my Cube 30 but then again it sounds like ass with my Peavey XXX too.

I've heard any FX will sound like sh*t with a Roland Cube.
Quote by dizturbed
My Digitech GNX1 sounds like ass with my Cube 30 but then again it sounds like ass with my Peavey XXX too.

I've heard any FX will sound like sh*t with a Roland Cube.

Hmm

Before I buy a pedal, I think the next time I jam with my friend I'll plug the RP50 into my amp and see if it makes a difference.
Quote by rageagainst
Hmm

Before I buy a pedal, I think the next time I jam with my friend I'll plug the RP50 into my amp and see if it makes a difference.

A relatively inexpensive board is not going to do magic on an inexpensive modeling amp IMO. I know you're on a budget but I think you'll be disappointed. I'm fairly happy with the FX on my cube 30 so just try tweaking it more. If you still can't get it to sound good then try the RP board. After that, you're just going to have to sink more money into an amp to get the sound you want.
if what you are looking for is longer sustain than you should look into getting a compression pedal.
Quote by Dog--
Holy **** that is the single funniest thing I've ever heard, thanks grimguitarist91, hats off to you good sir.

Sustain is a combo of guitar and amp also technique. A compressor will help. But its not a magic box that will make it sustain forever. And the compressors in most multiFX arent going to be near as good as a stomp box.