Page 1 of 6
Only a donkey person would say they sound alike. They're completely different. They might sound the same, but the technical parts are completely different.
טארה ניקול
&
נח ליאם

-1.24.11-
As one youtube poster succinctly put it, taking a chord sequence is one thing.
Then a melody, then a key, then a tempo. If it were just one or two of those, they'd probably get away with it, but...
Yea I agree Rock Pig, when the 2 songs are playing over each other the similarity is a no brainer. They'll get nailed big time
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
i can see satch at home

Satch: Ohh coldplay are nominated for the grammyz let's have a listen
*puts song on*that's alright Hey that sounds familiar
WAIT A MINUTE
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by Lolopop
Only a donkey person would say they sound alike. They're completely different. They might sound the same, but the technical parts are completely different.

You sure?

Quote by Rock Pig
Then a melody, then a key, then a tempo. If it were just one or two of those, they'd probably get away with it, but...

Exactly right.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Quote by SquierLolz
i can see satch at home

WAIT A MINUTE

goooo satch! im gonna go bug my sister about this because she thinks my music is annoying and likes cold play alot.
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
I heard from my brother (who happens to be a Coldplay fan) that Speed of Sound was actually/started out as a bad cover...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Well the melody is definitely the same... as is the tempo and the key. I'm not sure about the Chord progression but it does sound damned similar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
the chorus chord progression might be the same, but the rest isnt even close. the key, maybe. Tempo, no. Not exactly. And since Mr. Joey never freaking sings, you cant nail coldplay for that. Seriously. If people were that strict, every rapper that exists nowdays would constantly be suing eachother, right and left. Think about it. This is just some rich prick that made a bunch of money off of "If I could Fly" in the first place, and doesnt NEED anymore money. And THAT only applies to the situation if Coldplay DID copy the song, which they didnt. So as far as I'm concerned, Joe Satriani, And Steve Vai, and every other prick that prides themselves on their NOT so incredible guitar skills, can go to hell.
טארה ניקול
&
נח ליאם

-1.24.11-
Quote by Lolopop
the chorus chord progression might be the same, but the rest isnt even close. the key, maybe. Tempo, no. Not exactly. And since Mr. Joey never freaking sings, you cant nail coldplay for that. Seriously. If people were that strict, every rapper that exists nowdays would constantly be suing eachother, right and left. Think about it. This is just some rich prick that made a bunch of money off of "If I could Fly" in the first place, and doesnt NEED anymore money. And THAT only applies to the situation if Coldplay DID copy the song, which they didnt. So as far as I'm concerned, Joe Satriani, And Steve Vai, and every other prick that prides themselves on their NOT so incredible guitar skills, can go to hell.

In response to your giant wall of worthless text...

You can go to hell.
The song is similar but, c'mon, how much time has passed since its release? Is it really worth trying to sue Coldplay over it? It is bound to end up being settled outside court, seems more of a publicity stunt to me than anything else, and does Satch need publicity?

*puts up flame shield*
Quote by SquierLolz
i can see satch at home

WAIT A MINUTE

man thats hilarious.

How did coldplay get away with that in the FIRST place?
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by Lolopop

Colplay make more money than Satch.
The song was undeniably ripped off.
Satch and Vai are very talented. And probably going to Heaven, for that matter

Stop trying to be different for the sake of being different.
^ +1

If you say they aren't talented on guitar Lolopop, who is?
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by Dizeaz2112
In response to your giant wall of worthless text...

You can go to hell.

Second that
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by Lolopop

Only someone who's got a donkey brain for music theory and recognizing melodies and chord progressions, and tempo and same rhythmic chords would say it sounds different.

Seriously, the melody is 90% the same, the chord progression is 100% same, the rhythm for the chords in the progression is ALSO 100% the same, the tempo is 90% the same.

I can't understand why people say it sounds different. F*ck the keys of both songs, what matters here is the relation between notes not the f*cking key, learn your music theory.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
I glossed over the thread at first; I just figured it was some insignicant bit of Satriani knowledge.

Then I really read the thread title, and was like, "...what? Satch? Coldplay? Huh?" The disparity really threw me off for a second.

And I'm gonna have to back Satch.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by Lolopop

Wow, your reasoning takes you to a very false conclusion.

If I steal Fur Elise's melody and make a song out of the melody, BUT I play it on guitar, not piano, and claim that I invented the melody, then that means that no one can sue me?
The human voice is another musical instrument, and coldplay's voice instrument copied Satriani's guitar melody.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!

BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
It might be a tough sell for Satriani given that only the first three notes of the melody match up. The melodic similarities crumble pretty well after that.
Quote by Dodeka
It might be a tough sell for Satriani given that only the first three notes of the melody match up. The melodic similarities crumble pretty well after that.

Are you DEAF? Melody and Chorus of the two songs are the SAME.
Its like Vanilla Ice claiming he didn't steal the hook to his song because of those extra notes at the end. This is almost identical and the singing matches perfectly with Joe's guitar playing. They're gonna get their asses sued big time I think.
Quote by Rock Pig

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dodeka
The songs are overlapped here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ofFw9DKu_I

It's only the C# D B at the beginning that match up. The rest of the melody does not.

Define Melody. Melodies don't only have notes, they got RHYTHMIC VALUE as well.
And the rhythm of the melody is almost the same, the basic rhythm is the same, and the accentuated part of the rhythm is the same.

If none of you have noticed, the rhythm of the chords in the back of the main melody are exactly the same chords (chord progression) AND same rhythm in both songs.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!

BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Quote by XxLloydxX
Define Melody. Melodies don't only have notes, they got RHYTHMIC VALUE as well.
And the rhythm of the melody is almost the same, the basic rhythm is the same, and the accentuated part of the rhythm is the same.

The (three) notes and their timing...

(C#)"ruuuule" (D)"the" (B)"world"

A dotted half note and two eighth notes. Far from improbable.

The remaining parts of the melodies (the majority of them) are dissimilar in both note combinations and timing.

If none of you have noticed, the rhythm of the chords in the back of the main melody are exactly the same chords (chord progression) AND same rhythm in both songs.

The Coldplay rhythm is more irregular and syncopated while the Satriani tune is more of a rolling pulse.

Chord progressions aren't really copyrightable, so I'm not too concerned about that.