For links to many other great threads, check out the GB&C Central Hub.

'Ight, I'm sicking of reading how to do KAOSS pad threads. This is the method most people use...

http://www.unmaintained.com/forums/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=43#43

I have never done it myself, but it's been quoted plenty of times.

Basically what your doing with this mod is mounting a midi controlled effect on your guitar. The actual effects box is in your chain.

Hopefully this will survive, and keep the KAOSS threads down a bit.

Ok, here a simpler version, courtesy of guitarcam123

Disconnecting the touch pad:
Unscrew the bottom plate and take it off. Then without removing the circuit boards, unscrew all the screws in them. Carefully slide the lower two circuit boards upwards so that the mic and headphone jacks & knobs slide out of the frame, just let these little boards sit where they are once the jacks / knobs are out. You can then carefully move the main circuit board slightly to allow removal of the rear circuit board (the one with all the inputs / outputs) When you get the rear circuit board out take the main circuit board out just enough so that you can disconnect the touch pad’s ribbon cable (remember what side the cable was facing up when you disconnect it) The white connector must be opened to allow removal of the ribbon cable, this is done by carefully gripping the edge of the connector and pulling in the direction as if you were pulling out the cable, but don't pull the cable! just the connector, it will snap open and the cable should then slide out easily. The touch pad is braced to the front of the pad with 4 metal brackets, carefully remove the screws and place these aside. You can then remove the touch pad. Run 4 wires from the 4 connections on the PCB where the screen connecter was to one of the DB9 connectors. Next run 2 wires from the hold button solder points on to 2 more pins on the DB9 connector.

Putting the touch pad in your guitar:
Remove the bridge, pick guard and electronics (pretty much everything on the body)
Either make a template (recommended) or free hand route a cavity which goes right through your guitar just a bit bigger than the touch pad, but no bigger than the mounting frame. If you don’t want to ruin your guitars finish put a bit of painters tape or masking tape around the area. If you want to you can also recess the mounting frame to make it flush with the body. Then drill a hole for both the DB9 connector and the touch pad’s button thing, then make room for the cables to run through the body by drilling through the center of the body so its unseeable from the outside.
You can then make a mounting frame for the touch pad at any thickness out of any material you want, as long as it holds the pad in place and makes the hole and wires in you guitar unseeable (unless you want them to be). You will then have to make a back cover (which can be recessed) to once again cover up the big hole and all the wires. Now solder everything up and keep it neat with cable ties . All you are practically doing is taking the pad out of its enclosure and connecting the two with a cable....

You have completed the installation!
Remember to take much care with the wires as you take them out, they are fragile.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Last edited by Hereiwas at Dec 6, 2008,
For the love of god, please keep this alive. I would really like a Kaoss pad guitar built someday =]
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
i really want this stickied cos lately theres been a sh1tload of"How do i install a kaoss pad in my guitar" cluttering up the forums and all the threads are exactly the same
anyway back ontopic
good idea

Warp3r
Quote by will123456789

and mate: ure the first 08er to make me laugh kudos

Quote by Mr. La Fritz
Turn it off and on again.

^ Golden computer rule.

Quote by Spamwise
I've had a hooker die once. I love getting free stuff.
^ write out a tutorial and get it put in the OP, i could do it but i couldn't be stuffed

I vote this should get added to the tutorial thread sticky... i'll get onto xifr
Meh, people are still going to post threads about it, no one uses the search bar anymore
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Hers a simplified version of the one in the link…

Disconnecting the touch pad:
Unscrew the bottom plate and take it off. Then without removing the circuit boards, unscrew all the screws in them. Carefully slide the lower two circuit boards upwards so that the mic and headphone jacks & knobs slide out of the frame, just let these little boards sit where they are once the jacks / knobs are out. You can then carefully move the main circuit board slightly to allow removal of the rear circuit board (the one with all the inputs / outputs) When you get the rear circuit board out take the main circuit board out just enough so that you can disconnect the touch pad’s ribbon cable (remember what side the cable was facing up when you disconnect it) The white connector must be opened to allow removal of the ribbon cable, this is done by carefully gripping the edge of the connector and pulling in the direction as if you were pulling out the cable, but don't pull the cable! just the connector, it will snap open and the cable should then slide out easily. The touch pad is braced to the front of the pad with 4 metal brackets, carefully remove the screws and place these aside. You can then remove the touch pad. Run 4 wires from the 4 connections on the PCB where the screen connecter was to one of the DB9 connectors. Next run 2 wires from the hold button solder points on to 2 more pins on the DB9 connector.

Putting the touch pad in your guitar:
Remove the bridge, pick guard and electronics (pretty much everything on the body)
Either make a template (recommended) or free hand route a cavity which goes right through your guitar just a bit bigger than the touch pad, but no bigger than the mounting frame. If you don’t want to ruin your guitars finish put a bit of painters tape or masking tape around the area. If you want to you can also recess the mounting frame to make it flush with the body. Then drill a hole for both the DB9 connector and the touch pad’s button thing, then make room for the cables to run through the body by drilling through the center of the body so its unseeable from the outside.
You can then make a mounting frame for the touch pad at any thickness out of any material you want, as long as it holds the pad in place and makes the hole and wires in you guitar unseeable (unless you want them to be). You will then have to make a back cover (which can be recessed) to once again cover up the big hole and all the wires. Now solder everything up and keep it neat with cable ties . All you are practically doing is taking the pad out of its enclosure and connecting the two with a cable....

You have completed the installation!
Remember to take much care with the wires as you take them out, they are fragile.
If you want a more detailed approach on this with lots of pics follow the link in the OP
Allright, glad to see this is going well.

Will a mod please sticky it?
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
mods only sticky the first post and it will go in the Ultimate Resource thread, there for my info in my last post needs to be copied into the OP
Quote by metalwarrior40
Meh, people are still going to post threads about it, no one uses the search bar anymore

I forgot that function XD
I still have a few questions....
Will this fit into my Ibanez GAX70?
and
How will this affect my original sound on the guitar?
I doubt it will fit in your ibanez, you can measure it to see though. I wouldn't recommend doing this on your best guitar either incase you stuff up.

You may get a bit of a sustain loss, but not much. Depends how good your ear is i guess
Quote by guitarcam123
I doubt it will fit in your ibanez, you can measure it to see though. I wouldn't recommend doing this on your best guitar either incase you stuff up.

You may get a bit of a sustain loss, but not much. Depends how good your ear is i guess

Thanks for the reply. Those were some of the things holding back. My guitar has ENOURMOUS sustain. So if it will fit, I'm on it. I was going to buy a new guitar soon anyway...probably slap some EMG's and a whammy on there.
So with this kaoss pad, if I unplug the cable that connects the pad to the MIDI controller, my guitar would work as normal??
Bands I've seen:
Jet
Metallica
Lamb of God
Baroness
A Day To Remember
Underoath
Northlane
In The Walls
Saints Alight
Live As A Monster
Bleach The Skies
Red Ribbon Army
The Amity Affliction
Madisonfoxx
Buried In Verona
It's not about making the mod exactly, but more about the guitar.
For a project in school, my friend and I will be purchasing two kaoss pads and one guitar for each of us to place them in. The question is what type of wood would be best? we're looking at the cheapest possible guitars. So would a basswood body be ok? or Paulownia? Or what's the best guitar for $150 or less we could put this into?
i dont think you can with a kp3, but if you have the midi pad installed in your guitar with the right swithes and crap (matt bellamy style ), you can hook it up to a kp3 with a standard x-y midi pad..

if any of that acctually made sense...
lame. I'm talking real kp3...I think I'm gonna do it with the minikp, only no unscrewing, just use the real thing
I guess, but I like the lights!. And I want to be original. And I want all the equopment to be right in the guitar.
Quote by museiscool
i dont think you can with a kp3, but if you have the midi pad installed in your guitar with the right swithes and crap (matt bellamy style ), you can hook it up to a kp3 with a standard x-y midi pad..

if any of that acctually made sense...
was about to mention bellamy has them in guitars already so it's nothing new. I've had one installed in my guitar for a while. don't use it much but haven't set up my guitar setup for ages. and it is fun.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
Is there any way to use a Korg MiniKP live without routing out your guitar? Is it too big to just attach to the face of your guitar? I'm getting one as a birthday gift from my friend, and I don't want to risk screwing up the guitar or the pad. Thanks!

-Bryan
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Well I can see this thread went nowhere fast... For people in the U.S., this is a good source for getting the touch screen kit.

http://twocherriesinstruments.ecrater.com/

Just be aware that you will need to solder and connect the parts. You need small gauge wire, wire strippers/cutters, heat shrink tubing and/or electrical tape, a third hand tool, a soldering iron, and solder. It's cheap and honestly pretty easy, and you can get all of that stuff from a hardware store, but if you don't have any experience soldering it could prove to be challenging. It takes a while, too (took me a few hours and I'm fairly inexperienced at soldering).

Here's a public link to the picstory on my Facebook profile: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1688550851890.2086731.1181270384&l=5bb4603b56