hey, i`ve always tryed using the 4 fingers 4 frets rule, but trying to do lead , i have next to no control over my pinky finger and also trying to do scales my pinky goes flat as soon as i put pressure on the string so the 1st knuckle in the midde of my pinky finger just lies flat as soon as i put any pressure on the string, any tips on how to make my pinky finger better?
Just start doing warm up exercises or scales really slowly and your pinky will get stronger.
Everyones pinky is weak at first you just gotta start off slow and work you way up.Your pinky will be able to do the things you want it to do in no time.
Who Said Anything About A Signature ? ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Slayerdeath
hey, i`ve always tryed using the 4 fingers 4 frets rule, but trying to do lead , i have next to no control over my pinky finger and also trying to do scales my pinky goes flat as soon as i put pressure on the string so the 1st knuckle in the midde of my pinky finger just lies flat as soon as i put any pressure on the string, any tips on how to make my pinky finger better?

man seriously don't worry. I was facing the same problem, and then I trianed my pinky to play. One of the my worst decidisons yet. I now use my pinky for what my ring finger used to do. My power chords used to be much better when I used my ring finger an dindex finger, but now I use my pinky finger and they tend to sound like ****.

just practise your technique every day... if you want, I'd love to give you some easy exercises, I just need to write them down:P

grtz
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
When I first started playing, I could NEVER EVER get my pinky to sound on anything except the b and e strings, now.. now I can play E just fine. =)

Takes practice, I concentrated on scales to get the strength up.
Erm, just force the 4 finger 4 frets rule. Sure, any guitarist would like to have two ring fingers instead of a ring and a pinky, but life sux... just play and you will improve. Also, note that when making bends with the pinky finger, always support the bend with (atleast) the ring finger.
Try this exercise, with ring and pinky finger only:

e---------------------1-2---------------------
B-----------------1-2-----3-4-----------------
G-------------1-2-------------3-4-------------
D---------1-2---------------------3-4---------
A-----1-2-----------------------------3-4-----
E-1-2-------------------------------------3-4-

And so on until 12th fret or more.
All you need to do is build up the strength in your pinky. A good way to do that would be to simply practice using it (scales and such) or try doing consecutive hammer ons/pull offs with your pinky and ring finger, that should really build up its strength. All of our pinkies are pretty much usueless at first, all it is is practice.
Try lifting some dumbbells with our pinky...alternatively you could just practice playing with it...
its the same as bar chords for a noob

the more you practice the better you get
Here lies a problem that most guitar players face in this day of internet tab and short attention spans — they don't know how to express themselves.

-Nick Layton
e|--------4-1-------------5-2------------------------------------------------|
B|---3----------2-----4---------3--------------------------------------------|
G|-----2------3---------3-----4----------------------------------------------|
D|-1--------------4-2------------5-------------------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

e|------4--1---------------5---2---------------------------------------------|
B|--2----------3-----3---------------4----------------------------------------|
G|----3------2----------4---------3-------------------------------------------|
D|-1-------------4-2---------------------5------------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

get it?
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Quote by Lord Waltaa

just practise your technique every day... if you want, I'd love to give you some easy exercises, I just need to write them down:P

grtz

hey if you wanna i`ll try it :edit:, damn your fast LOL

and poglia you just want me to throw my guitar across the room LOL j/k, i`ll try doing that exercise.
The secret is to slow down you exercises and make sure your pinky is hitting the fourth fret cleanly. If you hand is large enough try to give you pinky a little arch as you press down, that'll give it a little more strength. Over time your pinky will get better.
Use your pinky in everything you play from now, i dont know if this is strange or not but i like using my pinky, it makes me feel 'strong'.

play the sweet child o mine intro with it but use ONLY your index, ring and pinky finger, play the intro all trough, it will help, also helps with string skipping :p
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
be sure to use a metronome too...
Quote by silentassasin57
Guitar Hero really helped me.

This is probably what happened to me, plus the fact that I have really small hands, so I end up having to use my pinky for everything. I use my pinky much more than I use my ring, which is pretty useless unless I'm on the 10fret-forward where the frets are smaller
i have played guitar hero and did notice it helped, but i don`t own it, i wish i did.

i used to know how to play the intro to sweet child o mine, i`ll have to go learn it.

thanks for the tips guys
Use it. Plain and simple.

Your pinky is defunct cause its not used to working independantly. Its uncoordinated and weak.

The only way to change that is to use it. It will be rough at first, but keep at it till it "wakes up".

Scales are a good place to start.
Quote by Slayerdeath
i have played guitar hero and did notice it helped, but i don`t own it, i wish i did.

i used to know how to play the intro to sweet child o mine, i`ll have to go learn it.

thanks for the tips guys

No, it didn't.

The act of pushing a button has sod all relation to the act of fretting a string - the amount of skill you need to hit a button is zero, whereas to fret a string correctly requires a significant degree of control and finesse.

If you don't do it right you get no sound, Guitar Hero doesn't give a sh1t about that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
No, it didn't.

The act of pushing a button has sod all relation to the act of fretting a string - the amount of skill you need to hit a button is zero, whereas to fret a string correctly requires a significant degree of control and finesse.

If you don't do it right you get no sound, Guitar Hero doesn't give a sh1t about that.

+1.

Guitar Hero =/= playing real guitar in ANY sense.
steaven seagull is right, guitar hero is the one of the biggest misconceptions in regards to guitar playing. The only thing is does do is boarden your interest in rock music.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Quote by steven seagull
No, it didn't.

No one ever said it was the same as a string, but that Guitar Hero was the first time they had a need to use their pinky, therefore making it a little bit stronger. Obviously if you've never in your life used your pinky up until acing some trills or solos in Guitar Hero of course it is going to be stronger than used to be, which in turn would make it that much easier to train your pinky with a real guitar if the game turned you on to getting one.
PSN: Chris_P_Chikin
The only thing guitar hero did for me was get me into good music. Then I became interested in guitar music, then picked up real guitar. So glad I did.
Quote by steven seagull
No, it didn't.

I think he meant it helped with the pinky strength.
press the tip of your pinky into the tip of your thumb so that it makes a circle and push as hard as you can without your pinky bending at that knuckle and hold it for a few minutes. If it doesn't hurt your not doing it right.
Start playing chords that use your pinky. Barre chords, power chords, open chords with four fretted strings. Seriously, it will help. I broke my pinky a few years ago, and it never healed right. When I started playing, I thought I would never be able to use it. Now I'm starting to learn to play lead, and I can use my pinky to near perfection.

If you want a quick fix to finger strength, learn to play rhythm before you play lead.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I thought when I started playing the guitar that my pinky was going to be horrible. You see, both of my pinkies are curved, if I put them both next to each other it makes a perfect V. I thought that it would be hard for me to get my pinky close enough to the fret and be able to apply pressure for a decent sound.
However, I was wrong, now my pinky is ok. So... basically what I am badly trying to come across is: if I can do it, so you can you. Practice scales, take it slow. I used a stress ball early on to build up finger strength... I use to apply press to it with just my pinky... not sure if that would help... just saying.