seriously thoe, i have a decnet idea of what i want but i just want to make sure that its the right one

hughes and kettner statesman head goin through a marshall cab, i know i dont need that much power, but i have the cab, and its just easy for me to just get the head, i cant try an H+K cus no wehre in my state carrys them, but it seems right for me

i play blues and classic rock, nothin like heavy classic stuff, the latest sounding song i play is probaly released in 1984 sooo... old stuff

umm... ive looked into traynors but nothin really struck my fancy, i have not looked into peavys but i know i dont like the valveking, i tried one, and it didnt work for me, i dont like things sounding really bright, i like marshall thickness with the singing of somethin like an H+K, but i dono if the statesman is right, im like 80% sure its the rgiht amp for me, but suggestions would be great, my bedget is probaly like 1000 - 1400$

i play an epi g400 custom right now, but that might become a deluxe roadhouse strat, or a 70s classic series
Last edited by eberg2 at Dec 5, 2008,
I can tell you that many Peaveys and many Traynors are completely beneath your budget and amps like the H+K are completely out of their league.

Just buy with your ears. Try a few other amps in your budget (and a few other H+Ks if you can) and if you like it, go for it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
I can tell you that many Peaveys and many Traynors are completely beneath your budget and amps like the H+K are completely out of their league.

Just buy with your ears. Try a few other amps in your budget (and a few other H+Ks if you can) and if you like it, go for it.

thats partialy my problem, wich is why im tryin to ask people, i cant try a lot of amps out, im lookin at like vintage or very vintage sounding amps, except i have a guitar center like an hour and a half away and all they carry are like mgs, jcms, egnators, bugeras, and valvekings lol, so i really cant try anything out, and its hard to trust the sound on the computer, cus who knows what effects they have or what theyve done to the amp itsself, but, ya i was lookin at the higher end traynors, and some peavys seem to be around the same level as the H+K, i was lookin into an engl classic 50 but its too high gain

so thats waht im tryin to figure out, other models i could either drive hours away to go try, or to research online and what not, sooo..., i mean ive done probaly about 200 hours worth of reaserch litterally, and i just wanna make sure the H+K is my best option considering its a lot of money lol
It's absolutely your best option. I've no experience with the Head version of the Statesman, but I played through the 6L6 combo for about a week, and I own the Dual EL84 variant.

Anyway, it's the perfect amp for classic rock/blues stuff. I've been through fenders, peaveys, traynors, mesas, and god knows how many other amps before I landed on the Statesman. The only amp I've played through that had better tone was a Dr Z, at double the price, and despite that it didn't have the flexibility that the Statesman did.

It does have a few downsides of course.

First I find the EQ takes some getting used to. The dials are very reactive to each other, so sometimes getting your tone is not as obvious as it should be. I personally think that this is the reason the amp is so versatile, however, trying to EQ it on the fly at a gig or something can be frustrating.

Second is the lead channel. I find it to have a lot of gain. It's perfect for things like G'n'R or Boston or any highly overdriven thing (ironically you can coax a great Satriani tone out of it too). But for low gain blues stuff you really need to stick with an OD pedal on the clean channel, or just crank the clean channel way up. But I think this is where the different types of tubes make a big difference so I'm not sure how what I'm saying applies to the EL34 variant.