If you buy mics for $50 each they are likely to sound very noisy and colour the sound of whatever it is you're recording. I'd advise you to save for a bit longer and get either some AKG C1000s' or Rode NT5's.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
I've personally never had any experience with nady mics, some of the other guys on here could probably give you better answers that are within your budget.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
For $100 new you can buy the MXL 990/991 package. I've had them for about two years and they sound pretty good. Or you could get 2 991's. They are hard to beat for the price.
I have a pair of Behringer ECM8000's that I use as drum overheads. I also used them on acoustic guitar with good results. You could pick up a pair for about $80. They're omnidirectional (not absolutely ideal for overheads, but they're really quite accurate.... they're actually labeled as measurement mics) and they are small-diaphragm condensors.

Never mind the other recordings. They're ages old and this site is pretty much dead for ages, but if you go to my soundclick page, there is a track called ECM8000 demo, which is the track I did with acoustic guitar.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=10199

I recorded that track in response to someone on another forum who insisted those mics were noisy. I used one mic, IIRC, and used NO EQ, fx, etc. Just straight into the mixer, and exported straight out of Cubase. If was going to neat it up a bit, I'd roll off the boominess of the bottom strings a bit with some EQ, but the purpose of it was to show the mics completely naked. That also explains why I left the mistakes in the recording. The performance wasn't the point either.

Here's a link to the product. http://www.behringer.com/ECM8000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Dec 5, 2008,
I use them as drum overheads all the time. The songs in my profile - all of them (except the solo vocal and piano one) used them on the drums as overheads.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.