Hey guys/ girls,

Im currently in a viking metal band, hence that is genre im most likely to play on my rig, however i'd like enough room in the amp/ cab/ pedals? to be able to expand to tones used in ska/ punk/ classic rock and some RnB type basslines.

Im currently looking at this head;

http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?section=labs&ID=212

I see it is a 1000W powered amp, it does say two 500W channels, im guessing this means i'd be able to just use half the power with one cab for now and if i want i could expand it later on too 1000W?

I have no experience when it comes to bass amps to be honest, as at the moment im using a korg modelling box as my amp. But i see that the bass EQ starts at 100Hz, is that kind of high for the low's? ive seen amps that start at 30Hz-

Im still looking for cabs and pedals, so i wont post any yet.

But i'd like some advice on this amp, currently it's £318, personally for what it look's like im getting i dont think that is too bad, but then again i could be way off the mark.

thanks.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
No. What it means is one channel could send 500w into 4 ohms and the other channel would send 500w into 4 ohms. Using two 8 ohm cabs into both channels would give 500w.

I wouldn't get that head though. I'd buy a Hartke LH1000 which uses the same channel system. Plus the Little Giant has been delayed yet again and is now being released in January - probably due to all those breakages Ashdown have had to fix.
You can't comment on gear until you have tried it!
Ahh i see *scratches head*

Hmm ill have a look for the hartke LH1000, basically im only going to buy what ever gear i can get in local shop's, in the past ive just bought gear offline and although they havent always been bad, they havent always been perfect.

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by Stan_da_man
No. What it means is one channel could send 500w into 4 ohms and the other channel would send 500w into 4 ohms. Using two 8 ohm cabs into both channels would give 500w.

I wouldn't get that head though. I'd buy a Hartke LH1000 which uses the same channel system. Plus the Little Giant has been delayed yet again and is now being released in January - probably due to all those breakages Ashdown have had to fix.
Output does not half in line with the resistence increase, you will more than likely get around 325 watts into 8 ohms.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Those ashdown amps have had decent reviews, but i'd never buy one just for the fact that the EQ on it is totally retarded.
I actaully played an ashdown combo in store with an ibanez SR500 and i loved it to be honest, I could buy the combo, but it's only a 180watt model, i think i could have 2x10 or 1x15 speaker in the cabinet that it comes with, this would be cheaper than buying the head and the cab seperate, but would 180watt's be enough?

Thanks for clearing up the Ohm aswell, i appreicate the feedback

budgetbassist: how is the EQ retarded?

I looked for the hartke LH 1000 series, all i could find is the millenium 2x,3x and 55xx series amp head's, but they're pretty pricey and it only goes upto about 400 watt's or something.

Also about cab's and/ or speakers depending if i get a combo or not, what would be better 1x15, 2x10 or 4x10, the combo with these speakers has a power rating of 300watts, which would give the lowest, but clearest sound?

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by Daniel8488
I actaully played an ashdown combo in store with an ibanez SR500 and i loved it to be honest, I could buy the combo, but it's only a 180watt model, i think i could have 2x10 or 1x15 speaker in the cabinet that it comes with, this would be cheaper than buying the head and the cab seperate, but would 180watt's be enough?

Thanks for clearing up the Ohm aswell, i appreicate the feedback

budgetbassist: how is the EQ retarded?

I looked for the hartke LH 1000 series, all i could find is the millenium 2x,3x and 55xx series amp head's, but they're pretty pricey and it only goes upto about 400 watt's or something.

Also about cab's and/ or speakers depending if i get a combo or not, what would be better 1x15, 2x10 or 4x10, the combo with these speakers has a power rating of 300watts, which would give the lowest, but clearest sound?

The 4x10; but that combo is seriously heavy. the speakers will still amount to 8 ohms therefore it will still only be pushing around 200 watts; that is why I recomend the 1x15 version, this way you can try other add-ons later; the store should have some other cabs for you to try with it.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
Output does not half in line with the resistence increase, you will more than likely get around 325 watts into 8 ohms.

You're wrong and I will explain why.

The Little Giant 1000 has 2 input channels for cabs.

One 8 ohm cab plugged into one channel gives 250w. Another 8 ohm cab plugged into the other channel gives another 250w, giving a total of 500w. If both these cabs were joined by a second 8 ohm cab (one on the first channel, a second on the other) then that would be producing 4 ohms each channel giving 500w each channel and a total of 1000w. If two 4 ohm cabs were plugged into each channel (one per channel) then that would be giving 500w into 4 ohms each channel and a total of 1000w.

If you don't believe me, check the Ashdown link in the first post of this thread.

It answer to your EQ question (in your first post TS), the human hearing range is 20hz to 20Khz. So it probably isn't brilliant, but frequencies below 100hz probably aren't worth boosting (although I'm not quite sure, when I eq on Cubase i generally use a low shelf (boosting all freqs from 20hz to a certain point) and I assume my amp boosts from 30hz anyway) But I would recommend going for something that goes down to 30hz just in case
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
what would that be called? a Fibson with Gender confusion issues?
Quote by Stan_da_man
You're wrong and I will explain why.

The Little Giant 1000 has 2 input channels for cabs.

One 8 ohm cab plugged into one channel gives 250w. Another 8 ohm cab plugged into the other channel gives another 250w, giving a total of 500w. If both these cabs were joined by a second 8 ohm cab (one on the first channel, a second on the other) then that would be producing 4 ohms each channel giving 500w each channel and a total of 1000w. If two 4 ohm cabs were plugged into each channel (one per channel) then that would be giving 500w into 4 ohms each channel and a total of 1000w.

If you don't believe me, check the Ashdown link in the first post of this thread.

Thought you said you were going to show me where I was wrong regarding 500 watts into 4 ohms will reduce to about 325 into 8 ohms.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by |Heretic|
It answer to your EQ question (in your first post TS), the human hearing range is 20hz to 20Khz. So it probably isn't brilliant, but frequencies below 100hz probably aren't worth boosting (although I'm not quite sure, when I eq on Cubase i generally use a low shelf (boosting all freqs from 20hz to a certain point) and I assume my amp boosts from 30hz anyway) But I would recommend going for something that goes down to 30hz just in case

Are you aware that bottom B is 30.87Hz on a 5 string Bass and 41.2hz is bottom E on 4 string Bass?
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
Thought you said you were going to show me where I was wrong regarding 500 watts into 4 ohms will reduce to about 325 into 8 ohms.

Read the manual.
Quote by Stan_da_man
Read the manual.

I don't think that you have read or understood the manual. it makes no reference to the output into an 8 ohm load being 250 watts.
What it does say is that to get 1000 watts you need both outputs (not inputs) on the 1000 LG connected to 4 ohm loads

Here are a few pointers:-

Speakers are fed via the Outputs not imputs.

Both Little Giants are mono they do not have channels.

The 1000watt Little giant has two separate power stages 500 watts each which work indepenently from each other regarding output and cannot be bridged; but both are controled via a split signal scource from a single channel preamp stage.
Therefore tha LG does not have chanels.

Finaly inputs are for signal not power output.

Having had contacts at Ashdown I have been well versed regarding the Little Giant for some time; well before the manual was available in fact.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at Dec 8, 2008,
Quote by John Swift
Are you aware that bottom B is 30.87Hz on a 5 string Bass and 41.2hz is bottom E on 4 string Bass?

No, hence why I said probably :P

In any case, me knowing or not knowing the exact frequency of bass notes is irrelevant to the conversation at hand. John's info on the frequencies of the notes just re-enforces the point: get an amp with an EQ system that starts at 30Hz (I did say it was a good idea in my last post)
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Quote by |Heretic|
No, hence why I said probably :P

In any case, me knowing or not knowing the exact frequency of bass notes is irrelevant to the conversation at hand. John's info on the frequencies of the notes just re-enforces the point: get an amp with an EQ system that starts at 30Hz (I did say it was a good idea in my last post)

But it is relevent; to say that "anything below 100 HZ is probably not worth boosting" is what I'm refering to.

98 Hz is 15th fret on the bottom E string, or 5th fret on D string, these are the frequencies (G downwards) where powerhouse Bass notes are produced.

I made it my business to get to know what frequencies mean in relation to pitch/notes; I like to know what I'm doing and very importantly how to design my cabs to get the optimum out of my speakers.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I didn't say it wasn't. Thank you for the information
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Thanks for all the information guys, im taking it all in, so when i buy my gear ill take all this into consideration, which wont be until perhaps jan/ feb but it cant hurt to know at the minute.

Also, just another quick question, im tuning my bass down to DAEB, at the moment my string's are extremley slack, what string gauge would you recommend for me... 65 - 115?

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Maybe get a medium 5 string set and just leave out the G. It will probably also help if you get your bass set up for the thicker strings too
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
hahahahaha what the hell is viking metal??

Do you pillage and burn small coastal settlements while you play?