Only in one spot though. Whew.

Anyway, I use Dupli-Color Acrylic Enamel for both the color and the clear, and I wanted to test an area on my finish with the clear before I did the whole thing.

So, I picked a spot behind the pickguard, that is unseeable with the pickguard on, and sprayed a tiny area there.

So, I spray it, and walk away for a minute, and come back to find that the area I sprayed looked kinda "crystallized". I think "WTF"and then I take a toothpick and touch it, and the paint came right off. I then tried to remove all the shart as best as I could with a rag.

I then sprayed another area with the clear on the back of the guitar, where the neck bolt goes, and it came out fine as can be.

I also notice than when I shook my clean can, there was no nut rattling around in the can to help mix the paint. Could that be the problem?

Input please D:
Quote by MoroneSaxatilis
Stop huffing all the accelerant out of the can and try again, you tweaker.

That was pointless, retarded, and useless in this forum.

TS - Sounds as if maybe you applied to much clearcoat at once? Mine did this when there was too much clearcoat. If it happens again, I would let it dry completely.
make sure your cans are really shaken, and then go for it, i would.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
...lacquers melt into the previous coats... you probably touched it way too early and it pealed up im guessing.. you gotta let it dry.
Did you prime (undercoat) before painting then clear coating?

Was the paint on the guitar already there, and you were just adding clear coat?

Did you sand the paint finish before clear coating?

Need more info about what you did, to what and when
No primer, just sanded the original finish dull.

Erm, as for the second question I painted over the original finish, then (attempted) to add the clear.

The area in question was indeed sanded, also the area on the back of the guitar which came out fine was sanded also.
Quote by fartripper67
No primer, just sanded the original finish dull.

Erm, as for the second question I painted over the original finish, then (attempted) to add the clear.

The area in question was indeed sanded, also the area on the back of the guitar which came out fine was sanded also.

Should really have primed the whole guitar, but there you go.

Right, well...what grit did you sand to before painting and did you sand teh colour coat before clear coating and again to what grit?

It sounds like you have had an adhesion problem, probably caused by a contaminant, oil etc.

You really need wipe the body down with some panel wipe, you could use Acetone if you have some.

After that DO NOT touch the surface with bare skin (use gloves) or allow any contaminants to get on the surface.

Always allow the correct time for any paint to cure, or flash. Some paints, if you leave them too long, have to be sanded before clear coating, for adhesion purposes.
Quote by Skeet UK
Should really have primed the whole guitar, but there you go.

Right, well...what grit did you sand to before painting and did you sand teh colour coat before clear coating and again to what grit?

It sounds like you have had an adhesion problem, probably caused by a contaminant, oil etc.

You really need wipe the body down with some panel wipe, you could use Acetone if you have some.

After that DO NOT touch the surface with bare skin (use gloves) or allow any contaminants to get on the surface.

Always allow the correct time for any paint to cure, or flash. Some paints, if you leave them too long, have to be sanded before clear coating, for adhesion purposes.

I sanded the original finish to 200 before applying the color coats, and most of the color coat has been sanded down to 1000. I'm doing a holoflash finish, so obviously the areas with the holo on them cant be sanded
Quote by fartripper67
I sanded the original finish to 200 before applying the color coats, and most of the color coat has been sanded down to 1000. I'm doing a holoflash finish, so obviously the areas with the holo on them cant be sanded

So, where exactly, did the lacquer/paint bubble up and go wrng, what area?

Also, don't sand your colour coat to 1000 grit before spraying your lacquer, because it makes it hard for the lacquer to adhere.

320-400 Grit (P Grade) maximum on colour coats.
I had the mishap happen in to the right of the upper part of the pickup cavity on Strat style guitars, not visible at all when the pickguard is on.

I'm betting it's something with the paint not mixing right, as I said there is no little "nut" doo-hicky rattling around in my can when I shake it.
If there is no ball bearing, it may just be really stuck in some gunk. Try hitting it with your hands and shaking really hard.

If there really is not ball bearing, then just take it back to the store, because it is defective.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by fartripper67
I had the mishap happen in to the right of the upper part of the pickup cavity on Strat style guitars, not visible at all when the pickguard is on.

I'm betting it's something with the paint not mixing right, as I said there is no little "nut" doo-hicky rattling around in my can when I shake it.

Did you warm the paint up? Put it in some shallow warm water for a bit.

That may loosen up the balls. Also helps the paint flow better.
Quote by Skeet UK
Did you warm the paint up? Put it in some shallow warm water for a bit.

That may loosen up the balls. Also helps the paint flow better.

Doing so now.