Right now I have 2 guitars, American Deluxe Strat (SSS) and a RG Prestige (HSH). I want them to be polar opposites so I can cover an extended range of tones. The pickups are both stock right now. They're opposites right now, but in the wrong way. The strat is very warm and fat, but not extremely hot. It's not the way I wanted it to sound, but it sounds amazing. The RG on the other hand is very trebly and weak sounding. The pickups are definitely hotter, it just doesn't feel like it because chords sound a lot more powerful on the strat. I find myself playing more metal on the strat because of this and turning the gain up. I want the strat to sound more vintage and trebly and the RG to be warmer and fatter.

Thinking about putting some Dimarzio area pickups in the Strat, not sure about the combination yet. And I'm definitely going to change the pickups on the RG. Thinking about a Tone Zone in the bridge, Air Norton in the neck, and a Virtual Solo in the middle.

Should I even change the Strat pickups? They sound awesome but, they just don't sound like I imagine they should sound like. And it might end up sounding like a weaker version of the RG. Would those pickup combinations allow me to cover a large range of tones? And could it just be the way the pickup height is adjusted? I heard there's a sweet spot, but I haven't really messed with it. I did have to make some adjustments on the RG to lower the action. And I lowered the action on the strat without touching the pickups.
Budget?
If high-end, I suggest bare knuckle. The Mothers milk set for the strat, and a Miracle Man for the RG rbidge, with the Miracle Man neck model in the neck and Irish tour in the middle.
for vintage id go with duncans. dimarizios in the RG would go nice

as for specifics on which pickups, im not sure exactly what your aiming for
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

I should've specified, I'm looking for pink humbuckers for the RG, and noiseless for the strat. Never had to deal with noise, not planning on doing it in the future.

I want the strat to be noiseless and to have that trebly vintage sound, and it has to work with the S1 switch, but I'm not sure if it requires 4-conductor wiring
I want the RG to have hot pickups, but not super hot, and warm and fat sounding, but it has to remain clear
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by JELIFISH19
I should've specified, I'm looking for pink humbuckers for the RG, and noiseless for the strat. Never had to deal with noise, not planning on doing it in the future.

I want the strat to be noiseless and to have that trebly vintage sound
I want the RG to have hot pickups, but not super hot, and warm and fat sounding, but it has to remain clear

duncan has a whole section on their website for strictly strat pickups
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/

look at it, theres prolly something you want

im not a dimarzio guy, mainly because i havent had much expirience with em, but ive heard Dimarzio Evos are really good. they use em in the Ibanez jems
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

One thing worries me about the seymour duncans. The ones that are noiseless say they can be coil tapped for vintage tones. I don't want to sacrifice tone for noiseless.