Page 1 of 2
Hey guys! I'm 13 years old and I've been playing guitar for 8 months and I wanted to make a checklist of the things i can do, feel free to tell me if there's anything I should be able to do that I haven't listed:

Things i can do;

Alternate Picking
Sweep Picking
Tremelo Picking
Economy Picking
Tapping
Play the Tapping section of Eruption
Play "The trooper-Iron Maiden" song all the way through (except Dave's solo)
Play about 8-10 songs by Iron Maiden (not the entire songs though)
Play at least 4 scales
can play about about 35 songs (not all of them entirely though)
Can name all notes and chords
can PLAY all chords (except weird exotic chords)
Can play Knockin' On Heaven's Door- Guns N' Roses NOTE FOR NOTE.
Can sweep pick appreggios
palm mute
pinch harmonics
natural harmonics
bend
vibrato
legato
string skipping
hammer-on, pull-off
string slides,
can play purple haze, (only intro main riff and chorus)

that's about it, except for little no important stuff. Please tell me if there's anything that I need to learn and I'll get to learning it!

CHECK OUT MY GROUP R.I.M.F. AND JOIN IF YOU LIKE IRON MAIDEN HERE IS THE LINK: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/r_i_m_f_/
you do know we don't believe you right?

edit: to say you do all these things accurately and at a decent speed at 8 months.... i'm not buying it.
Last edited by z4twenny at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by z4twenny
you do know we don't believe you right?

Well that sucks because I swear on my life it's true. I practice all the time, I'm not saying I can shred, I can't shred to save my life. If you don't believe me that's fine but your wrong, to me this is pretty basic stuff that I bet lots of novices can do, I posted this just to get recommendations on stuff i needed to learn.
i don't believe you....

but you can change my mind, record yourself playing Painkiller (the entire song) by Judas Priest an put it on UG an let (us) me hear it.
Last edited by GeoffreySmis at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by Iron_Maiden§
I seriously doubt this.

What's an exotic chord? Do you know how to build chords?
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
why the hell does nobody believe me!!!!!!!! of course I can't play all the chords I mean the basic chords!!!! nobody can play EVERY CHORD!!!!! wtf?????
Quote by Iron_Maiden§
Quote by Iron_Maiden§
can play purple haze, (only intro main riff and chorus)
Lolwut.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
I believe you.
But lots of those things are tiny things that arent very difficult:
slides
alternate picking
tremelo picking
bending
the different harmonics
palm muting
tapping(assuming its the hph one)

and im not into sweeping. I think its stpid to sit there and sweep. I only like it when buckethead does it cus he can sweep and 4 finger tap at once in his sleep. so, can you efficiently do all these?
like eruption string skip? u said you can only play the tapping part.
and 4 scales? learn all the major scales and learn how to make them into a minor. learn what makes a chord a 7th, minor and how to place it around the fretboard without thinking. Learn how to improvise guitar solos. Ill think of more stuff.
Quote by GeoffreySmis
i don't believe you....

but you can change my mind, record yourself playing Painkiller (the entire song) by Judas Priest an put it on UG an let (us) me hear it.

yeah right like i can play pain killer!!!! i can't even play any song by judas preist!!! i'm not that good... these are basic techniques that ANY novice can play, and when I mean songs I mean songs like I love rock and roll, and sweet dreams by marylin manson! geeze you guys are acting like i said i'm friggen' Joe Satriani!!!!!
Quote by Iron_Maiden§
Hey guys! I'm 13 years old and I've been playing guitar for 8 months and I wanted to make a checklist of the things i can do, feel free to tell me if there's anything I should be able to do that I haven't listed:

Things i can do;

Alternate Picking
Sweep Picking
Tremelo Picking
Economy Picking
Tapping
Play the Tapping section of Eruption
Play "The trooper-Iron Maiden" song all the way through (except Dave's solo)
Play about 8-10 songs by Iron Maiden (not the entire songs though)
Play at least 4 scales
Can name all notes and chords
Can sweep pick appreggios

This is why people don't believe you.

There is a difference between knowing the principle of sweeping, and then getting nigh-on perfectly clean 6-string sweeps.

Also, you say you can play 4 scales. Do you mean as in "Natural minor, Major, minor and major pentatonic, Harmonic Minor" etc, or "major pentatonic in E,A,G, and C"?

Well, without recordings, I shall not judge you. If you really can do all of these things really well, then good for you.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by Iron_Maiden§
why the hell does nobody believe me!!!!!!!! of course I can't play all the chords I mean the basic chords!!!! nobody can play EVERY CHORD!!!!! wtf?????

i said i believed you. I was really good by then...cos i spent all day playing and learning over the summer cos my friends formed a band and left me behind, but now i easily surpass all of them
i can play every chord. Its not that hard. Just learn your theory. it helps.
well not EVERY but:
major
minor
dim
sus
and all the added chords ex g/d
lots of others i cant think of
first off, no, i dont believe you either...2nd, scratch that list and start over, go rght back to basics, and build ur playing/knowledge up in a systematic manner..lots of the stuff on that list is just NOT musical unless you know how to put it into context...so work on that...
Quote by Iron_Maiden§
bend
vibrato
I might believe everything else but these two.

I'll stop being a dick, I just find these threads pretty stupid.
Quote by TGautier13
Quote by Bucketheadroolz
I believe you.
But lots of those things are tiny things that arent very difficult:
slides
alternate picking
tremelo picking
bending
the different harmonics
palm muting
tapping(assuming its the hph one)

and im not into sweeping. I think its stpid to sit there and sweep. I only like it when buckethead does it cus he can sweep and 4 finger tap at once in his sleep. so, can you efficiently do all these?
like eruption string skip? u said you can only play the tapping part.
and 4 scales? learn all the major scales and learn how to make them into a minor. learn what makes a chord a 7th, minor and how to place it around the fretboard without thinking. Learn how to improvise guitar solos. Ill think of more stuff.

no i cannot 4 finger tap, you are right these are basic things, it's a shame how this thread has turned from me wanting advice to a thread of people taking turns saying I am a lier, i will try to do that stuff you advised, I do know that a power chord is just a slang term for a 5th.
even bending and vibrato, im not convinced ur bending is in tune or that ur vibrato is in time, so like i said earlier, go back to basics and try nailingthem before getting into stuf flike sweep piicking
what is it with everyone nowadays and sweep picking!?!?!?!?!?!? its not that hard! it only takes like a week at most to fully master. all it is is playing a chord hitting one note at a time. people make it sound like if you can efficiently sweep you're chet atkins( btw he can sweep lol) or buckethead.
Quote by Bucketheadroolz
what is it with everyone nowadays and sweep picking!?!?!?!?!?!? its not that hard! it only takes like a week at most to fully master. all it is is playing a chord hitting one note at a time. people make it sound like if you can efficiently sweep you're chet atkins( btw he can sweep lol) or buckethead.

Recordings or GTFO!
Call me Batman.
I ASKED FOR ADVICE NOT PEOPLE BEING ASSHOLES!!! (except 4 Bucketheadroolz) Can any of you do that!!!!
probably not, anything vaguely constructive we say will end up sounding to you like we're being dicks, so i think maybe just delete this thread
Quote by Bucketheadroolz

How can you ever say you have "fully mastered" any technique?

And I find sweeping hard, and I know I'm not the only one. Hitting the notes is easy, but muting them immediately afterwards is the hard part. I am somewhat skeptical that you perfected sweeping in a week, but, as I said to TS, I know nothing about you (you may have been playing for 15 years, and then one week said "Hey, I'm gonna learn to sweep!"), so I'm not gonna judge you.

And TS, you really need to learn how to efficiently and consistently pull guitar-faces. You won't get far without that technique.
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
^ i'm not calling you a liar per say. im saying i don't believe that you can do all the things you listed, or at least not well. i could say i can "sweep pick" but the question then becomes "ok, how well, is it really good enough to call it sweep picking?" maybe, maybe not. i will say sweep picking is definitely considered an advanced technique and i've been working on it here and there for over a year now and am just getting to the point where i can do 5 string sweeps and have them sound decent (and i've been playing for 13 years now) i tend to practice anywhere from 1-4 hours on average and when i first started i was practicing for 3-6 hours daily with some days going up to 8 hours. everyone learns at a different pace but to say you can trem pick and alternate pick but not be able to play a judas priest song leads me to believe that you can't actually do any of the things you listed at a useful speed. if you're just using these techniques to play slow 60-80 bpm music then yes, its valid, if you're trying to use it for rock, not so much.

Quote by Bucketheadroolz

no, just no. a week to master sweep picking? cleanly!?!?!?! you must be doing it on an electric with a ton of distortion. try it on an acoustic and see how wonderful you sound. i've noticed generally people who say "i learned everything real quick and it was easy" either sound terrible in recordings or don't even have recordings to back them up.
Last edited by z4twenny at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by z4twenny
^ i'm not calling you a liar per say. im saying i don't believe that you can do all the things you listed, or at least not well. i could say i can "sweep pick" but the question then becomes "ok, how well, is it really good enough to call it sweep picking?" maybe, maybe not. i will say sweep picking is definitely considered an advanced technique and i've been working on it here and there for over a year now and am just getting to the point where i can do 5 string sweeps and have them sound decent (and i've been playing for 13 years now) i tend to practice anywhere from 1-4 hours on average and when i first started i was practicing for 3-6 hours daily with some days going up to 8 hours. everyone learns at a different pace but to say you can trem pick and alternate pick but not be able to play a judas priest song leads me to believe that you can't actually do any of the things you listed at a useful speed. if you're just using these techniques to play slow 60-80 bpm music then yes, its valid, if you're trying to use it for rock, not so much.

Breaking the Law is the easiest Priest song I can think of. And its really really REALLy bleeding easy
Quote by BobMarleysGhost
This is why people don't believe you.

There is a difference between knowing the principle of sweeping, and then getting nigh-on perfectly clean 6-string sweeps.

Also, you say you can play 4 scales. Do you mean as in "Natural minor, Major, minor and major pentatonic, Harmonic Minor" etc, or "major pentatonic in E,A,G, and C"?

Well, without recordings, I shall not judge you. If you really can do all of these things really well, then good for you.

I never said I could do friggen' Malmsteen 6 string runs, the most I can do (accurately) is 3 strings, and no crap I can't play ALL chords, by that I mean all the basic chords, nobody can play all the chords!
if you know HOW to build chords, NO chord you might EVER be confronted with will stump you. Learn the theory.
^ then you should probably specify that, because when i think of being able to sweep, i think all 6 strings, at a speed that would solicit use in a spot where sweeps are often used: classical and metal.
My advice would be for you to re-evalute what 'can do' means, and then start with the simplest thing on that list, like sliding or bending, and learn to do it absolutely flawlessly. Take a couple of hours from your practice session, and just dedicate it to sliding or bending. If you spend enough time doing it, you'll come to realise why your post has been met with so much hostility.

Practicing the simplest things and realising you can't actually do them perfectly is also a great way to learn some humility.
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Dec 5, 2008,
i get the feeling you're going to end up whittling this list down one thing at a time with the whole 'i never said i could (insert technique here)...' thing
Quote by Johnljones7443

Practicing the simplest things and realising you can't actually do them perfectly is also a great way to learn some humility.

This. +1
TS...
post some vid so we can crit your technique.

you wouldn't want to learn to fast and miss some of the important small stuff.
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
^ +100 to JLJ

as always JLJ comes through with sound advice. i second his advice and also recommend getting a tape recorder or something to record yourself and then listening back and noticing what mistakes you make, where you make them and figuring out WHY you make them. then correcting it. remember for the person wanting to be extremely proficient there is no such thing as a small mistake. also you can gauge yourself, record yourself playing something and work on fixing it over time. then go back in a year and record yourself playing the same thing (a riff or a section from a song) and compare the 2. you'll definitely notice how much better the second recording sounds.

Quote by axman666
i get the feeling you're going to end up whittling this list down one thing at a time with the whole 'i never said i could (insert technique here)...' thing

i think if we started really interrogating we'd find out that he can't really do most of what he listed to any great degree. theres nothing wrong with that as he's only been playing 8 months though. if he had mastered or even become proficient in all that however i'd give him incredible props.
well you know what... my guitar skills must be much better than your guys reading skills! where the hell does it say that i have mastered any of these techniques, i can play them at several hundred bpm. any person can learn these techniques, they will know how to play them but nobody says they are a friggen' Master at them. and if any of you knew how to read you'd realize i never once said i mastered ANY of these!
Quote by Iron_Maiden§
well you know what... my guitar skills must be much better than your guys reading skills! where the hell does it say that i have mastered any of these techniques, i can play them at several hundred bpm. any person can learn these techniques, they will know how to play them but nobody says they are a friggen' Master at them. and if any of you knew how to read you'd realize i never once said i mastered ANY of these!

this proves ur full of cr*p.
Quote by Iron_Maiden§
I never said I could do friggen' Malmsteen 6 string runs, the most I can do (accurately) is 3 strings, and no crap I can't play ALL chords, by that I mean all the basic chords, nobody can play all the chords!

Ha ha! Calm down, man! I'm not trying to insult you, it's just your wording (however unintentionally) suggested that you were laying claim to being some Petrucci level player. It seems that you an I define "Can do" very different.
You said you could do sweeping, and had checked it off on your list. I would only check that off on my guitar-list if I could play clean 6 string sweeps, and even then, I would never claim to have mastered the technique.

Quote by Iron_Maiden§
can PLAY all chords

Quote by Iron_Maiden§
I can't play ALL chords

Sorry, couldn't resist. But I know what you mean. It just didn't help your argument
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
^to the TS- ok well at that rationale, then i can play every vai song with my teeth. i mean i can only play them at 4 bpm so i can't say i mastered them. but i can still play them. how incredibly useful eh?

i wasn't referring to mastering them, i was referring to knowing them well enough to do them properly, correctly and usefully. taking 3 seconds for a sweep isn't really a sweep, kinda like how if you can just downpick at a quicker speed than alt picking or trem picking, i wouldn't say you could do either of the latter.

Quote by axman666
this proves ur full of cr*p.

oh ok, yeah i didn't even notice he said he could do all that at several hundred bpm, but he can't play a judas priest song. i call shennanigans on this whole thread.
Quote by z4twenny

oh ok, yeah i didn't even notice he said he could do all that at several hundred bpm, but he can't play a judas priest song. i call shennanigans on this whole thread.

Ah, that changes my mind too.

On a different topic. Your mp3's are pretty badass
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by Bucketheadroolz

Yeah your about as truthful as the TS.
Quote by z4twenny
^to the TS- ok well at that rationale, then i can play every vai song with my teeth. i mean i can only play them at 4 bpm so i can't say i mastered them. but i can still play them. how incredibly useful eh?

i wasn't referring to mastering them, i was referring to knowing them well enough to do them properly, correctly and usefully. taking 3 seconds for a sweep isn't really a sweep, kinda like how if you can just downpick at a quicker speed than alt picking or trem picking, i wouldn't say you could do either of the latter.

you my friend must be retarded, what I said was "where the hell does it say that i have mastered any of these techniques, i can play them at several hundred bpm." i happened to be listing things that I never once said. notice how they are in quotation marks, meaning they are including in my statement about where the hell did it say that! boy your stupid
Quote by Iron_Maiden§
you my friend must be retarded, what I said was "where the hell does it say that i have mastered any of these techniques, i can play them at several hundred bpm." i happened to be listing things that I never once said.

This is why God created quotation marks.

" "

Have some more, free of charge. And why call someone "retarded", when it was you who failed to use the proper punctuation? It was very easily misinterpreted.
Gear:
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Last edited by BobMarleysGhost at Dec 5, 2008,