Epiphany! I just had an epiphany as to why my left hand feels not only feels uncomfy when playing, but why my speed hasnt picked up. The culprit? A not-so-well placed thumb. l know there is a proper way to have the thumb on the back of the neck, but what is it exactly and how to you keep this proper position (especially when moving up and down the neck i.e shredding, chord changing). might anyone be able to give a helping hand?
When I play, although this probably isn't the proper way, I just let my thumb press against any part of the back of the neck, and it just moves wherever my fingers move. its been working for me for quite some time. You just have to find a way thats comfy for you.
Say hello to Tilt-A-Whirl

Quote by a6l6e6x1
i shave my pubes, so should they

wait, i mean no i dont! hehe

*backs slowly out of the thread*
my hands are a bit small and slightly pudgy (only slightly! ok, lve been eating a bit extra).
They are by no means a pianist's hands. Although l understand your advice very well and will try to find something that works for me, l call for further advice as to teach my hand better
How you position and hold your guitar is as important as your thumb placement. If you are resting the middle bout of the guitar on your right leg with the neck horizontal to the floor, then your left arm needs to extend out nearly straight and your wrist needs to bend at an awkward angle to reach the frets. Place the guitar bout on your left leg and angle the neck up towards the ceiling. It'll help to rest your left foot up off the floor on a box or short footstool. Then you'll have much easier access to the neck without stressing out your left arm. Try holding it like this and concentrating on your thumb placement at the same time.
Quote by LeftyDave
How you position and hold your guitar is as important as your thumb placement. If you are resting the middle bout of the guitar on your right leg with the neck horizontal to the floor, then your left arm needs to extend out nearly straight and your wrist needs to bend at an awkward angle to reach the frets. Place the guitar bout on your left leg and angle the neck up towards the ceiling. It'll help to rest your left foot up off the floor on a box or short footstool. Then you'll have much easier access to the neck without stressing out your left arm. Try holding it like this and concentrating on your thumb placement at the same time.

The way leftydave describes how to hold the guitar is better in my opinion. For me, it more closely simulates how I would hold the guitar when standing up.