I just got hell during a room inspection at my college on-campus apartment. Apparently, guitar amps aren't allowed, because they draw too much power.

How much power does a 15w Fender Blues Junior Tube Amp draw from the wall? This is an apartment with 3 TV's, 2 Microwaves, 5 Computers, a full refrigerator, and stove top.

Are they being reasonable?
The fridge is probably drawing more, but the amp does draw a lot, mine says 180 watts on the back.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Never heard of them bitching about before, my r.a.'s have always said it's cool.

It uses a decent amount of power, but I don't think that's an issue. As long as it's not a safety hazard I didn't think they could do anything. Check you residency handbook and see if there's anything about using too much power. If there's nothing in the book, I think you're fine. My neighbor had a 500 Watt sound system last year, and that was fine.
Its because of this, 3 TV's, 2 Microwaves, 5 Computers, a full refrigerator, and stove top.
Not the other way around..... Adding one more thing would blow out the circuit.

And also an amp can draw quite a bit of juice when you throw other things on top of it. So much infact that I have killed my a/c on numerous occasions when I was running my two tube amps in stereo. The a/c now has a capictor so it doenst kill over again lol
I figured it would be less than 200 watts of power being drawn from the wall. I'll probably have to appeal this one, it's kind of stupid.

Oh, and we have 2 microwaves because the apartment came with one and someone brought one, and 3 TV's because 5 people live in the apartment, some have TV's in their bedrooms, 1 TV in the living area.
Find out how many amps the breaker to your room is, and find the power usage of everything in the room.

find the wattage and divide by 120 (assuming that's the voltage going into your room), this gives you the amperage the device is using. Add all the numbers up and if it's less than the amperage of the breaker to the room then you should be good. If it's close to the breaker then the RA might have a case.

Note: I'm not an electrician, but I'm pretty sure that's all correct there.
A small guitar amp like that will use less power than a tv. My little valve jr says it uses 35 watts and my tv uses 110 watts. A 100 watt half stack will pull some serious juice tho. It might be one of those in the past to many problems with somebody cranking their amp at 2 am to many times in their dorm room and the power thing is just the excuse they use.
Quote by Tackleberry
A small guitar amp like that will use less power than a tv. My little valve jr says it uses 35 watts and my tv uses 110 watts. A 100 watt half stack will pull some serious juice tho. It might be one of those in the past to many problems with somebody cranking their amp at 2 am to many times in their dorm room and the power thing is just the excuse they use.

It uses 180 watts, so it's probably gonna be more than a tv, unless it's a large tv.
i had the problem with my R.A. about three years ago saying my bogner uberschall was drawing to much power instead it was my roomie's bass 8x10 cab.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by Bravo86
I just got hell during a room inspection at my college on-campus apartment. Apparently, guitar amps aren't allowed, because they draw too much power.

How much power does a 15w Fender Blues Junior Tube Amp draw from the wall? This is an apartment with 3 TV's, 2 Microwaves, 5 Computers, a full refrigerator, and stove top.

Are they being reasonable?

15w at 8ohms is roughly 10volts
Quote by CoffeeCup

That doesn't have anything to do with what it draws from the wall. Tube amps are very inefficient and use a lot more power than they output.
Quote by CoffeeCup

Someone's well on their way to passing Physics.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot

Someone's well on their way to passing Physics.

Which is why I went medicine.
Quote by CoffeeCup
Which is why I went medicine.
I feel sorry for your patients.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Haha...

Ok, we've determined that my little Blues Junior draws 180W from the wall...when its on, which is on average 20min a day.

I still think its unreasonable...I will more than likely try to argue my case.
Its something schools do now no common sense is allowed. 1 person has a 8x10, yea that will pull some juice, so they just say no amps period. If they make an exception for you then everybody will want one. So its just easier to say no to everybody with no middle ground. Just like a butter knife is considered a weapon in school now.