First off, is there any way you can improve on the dodgy MIDI drums? A program like BFD or Addictive Drums could make all the difference if you don't have the means to mic up a kit.

Also, the vocals are really lacking in presence and don't sit properly in the mix. What kind of mic are you using? You really need some kind of isolation in the room you're recording in, or else a little bit of reverb to help it sit better in the mix. At the moment you can hear the room in the mic and it muddies up the vocals so you can't hear the lyrics.

Now on to the good bits - the song itself sounds well written, and that acoustic guitar tone is really, really nice! I like the stereo delay on the guitar solo too.

Best of luck, hope the mix turns out well!
Quote by kyle62
First off, is there any way you can improve on the dodgy MIDI drums? A program like BFD or Addictive Drums could make all the difference if you don't have the means to mic up a kit.

Also, the vocals are really lacking in presence and don't sit properly in the mix. What kind of mic are you using? You really need some kind of isolation in the room you're recording in, or else a little bit of reverb to help it sit better in the mix. At the moment you can hear the room in the mic and it muddies up the vocals so you can't hear the lyrics.

Now on to the good bits - the song itself sounds well written, and that acoustic guitar tone is really, really nice! I like the stereo delay on the guitar solo too.

Best of luck, hope the mix turns out well!

the vocals are actually done using a Shure SM57 and a $10 computer mic in tamdem to achieve a stero setup to do a delay with. Didn't turn out as good, I did the same thing with the acoustic guitar to fantastic results, though. What would you specifically suggest for the vocals, I've ALWAYS had trouble with vocals.

the drums are something that I can't really clean up too well, that's the best I can get 'em. But, what's BFD or Addictive Drums? I use an OLD Yamaha TU-5 for my drums, so I don't have a USB output to use it as a trigger, but if they're programs where I can program in the drums and use the beats... sort of like, "set and forget," then it'd work for me, well. I did try Drum Kit From Hell and the accompanying program, but I had an almost impossible time actually using it without a USB enabled keyboard, triggers or anything like that. (glad I didn't actually buy it!)
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Thomme/music/all/play482887

here, it's the second mix down. I turned up the bass and re-eq'd is so you can hear it, cleaned up the jumpy guitar in the guitar solo, tamed the acoustic lead tones, so they're not so shrill, tamed that guitar feedback at the end of the solo, once again, so it isn't ear peircing. I also re-mixed the two vocal tracks and taged some reverb on the second one, hopefully letting it "sit better."

Two things I absolutely know almost nothing about mixing: vocals and drums. Hope you guys like this one better than the first one.

I'm also thinking of adding in some strings (off my old TU-5...) or a slide guitar, but... the slide guitar idea is kind of... meh to me. opinions?
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Dec 8, 2008,