Page 1 of 2
Just curious to see what setups that UG's Rockabilly players here use.

My equipment is listed in my sig. I use the FBM-1 Pedal to emulate the legendary Fender '59 Bassman amp. It gives a nice, warm overdrive and sounds dead-on ba11s accurate to an acutal Bassman I tried at Guitar Center. I also use the Ibanez DE-7 on Echo mode to get the "slapback" echo.

Any of you Rockabilly players out there tried any other Echo pedals? If so, what's
your opinion of them?

My setup lets my Gretsch's DeArmonds wail away like Sun Records in the 50's. I'm also planning to throw in some Seymour Duncan SHP-90 pickups in my LP after Xmas and add a Bigsby to it.

So, Rockabilly players of UG... let's see what you got!
-Custom Epiphone LP
-Gretsch G5129 Electromatic
-Fender DG8S Acoustic
-Fender Blues Jr. NOS amp
-Boss FBM-1, CS-3, NS-2, DD-7, RC-2 Pedals
I'm sorry, but those pedals sound nothing like the real thing, those bassmans at guitar center are not the real thing either.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
I'm sorry, but those pedals sound nothing like the real thing, those bassmans at guitar center are not the real thing either.

Well, the '59 Bassman "Reissue" is called that for a reason. A real authentic Bassman is going to cost a lot of $$$. But the pedal sounds almost identical to the Bassman I tried out, at least to my ears.
-Custom Epiphone LP
-Fender DG8S Acoustic
I'm actually pretty happy with my Blues Jr. It sounds awesome and looks vintage! Thanks, though!
-Custom Epiphone LP
-Fender DG8S Acoustic
The blues jr is a pretty good amp, IMO you're spoiling it with that pedal, but to each his own.
A lot of Rockabilly artists used the Bassman back in the day. I found a website:

http://www.the-jime.dk/Rockabilly_Guitar.htm

that tells about the gear used for Rockabilly. I set the pedal so I get a subtle overdrive, much like the old songs from the 50's. Doesn't affect the clean, Fender tone very much.
-Custom Epiphone LP
-Fender DG8S Acoustic
Quote by fsae0607
Just curious to see what setups that UG's Rockabilly players here use.

My equipment is listed in my sig. I use the FBM-1 Pedal to emulate the legendary Fender '59 Bassman amp. It gives a nice, warm overdrive and sounds dead-on ba11s accurate to an acutal Bassman I tried at Guitar Center. I also use the Ibanez DE-7 on Echo mode to get the "slapback" echo.

Any of you Rockabilly players out there tried any other Echo pedals? If so, what's
your opinion of them?

My setup lets my Gretsch's DeArmonds wail away like Sun Records in the 50's. I'm also planning to throw in some Seymour Duncan SHP-90 pickups in my LP after Xmas and add a Bigsby to it.

So, Rockabilly players of UG... let's see what you got!

My only advice, the bigsby may not be worth it. Without a locking nut it won't be good for a little more than a shimmer and each time you use it it will put the guitar out of tune. I had grover tuners and it still did it.

I'm not exactly sure what an echo does.

Quote by Kevin Saale

That doesn't matter. He likes the sound of his bassman pedal, so step off.
I'm sure they did, all I'm saying is that pedal isn't any good, IMO.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I'm sure they did, all I'm saying is that pedal isn't any good, IMO.

HE LIKES THE SOUND OF THE PEDAL

Still missing the point?
Quote by CoffeeCup
HE LIKES THE SOUND OF THE PEDAL

Still missing the point?

I couldn't care less, take your obnoxious whining somewhere else.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I couldn't care less, take your obnoxious whining somewhere else.

I see why you didn't wanna make a case for your opinion, you're too dumb to argue.
Oh man, what is this forum coming to.....Coffee, relax dude, I am pretty sure the TS can fight his own fights....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Kevin Saale
I see why you didn't wanna make a case for your opinion, you're too dumb to argue.

That could be a possibility, but at the same time it could be due to rule 11.
Quote by CoffeeCup
My only advice, the bigsby may not be worth it. Without a locking nut it won't be good for a little more than a shimmer and each time you use it it will put the guitar out of tune. I had grover tuners and it still did it.

I'm not exactly sure what an echo does.

I've never seen a bigsby with a locking nut.
Quote by LaidBack
Oh man, what is this forum coming to.....Coffee, relax dude, I am pretty sure the TS can fight his own fights....

He isn't fighting. He comes in, says he likes a pedal and the first response he gets is "your equipment sucks." You talk about me causing a problem, the reason you guys have such a "tight knit community" is because you have run everyone off.
Quote by CoffeeCup
That could be a possibility, but at the same time it could be due to rule 11.

What are you on about?

Edit: I said they sound nothing like the real thing, I have some of the same equipment he has so why would I say it sucks?
Quote by imgooley
I've never seen a bigsby with a locking nut.

OH MY GOD CAN YOU BE THAT STUPID!?!?
Quote by CoffeeCup
OH MY GOD CAN YOU BE THAT STUPID!?!?

I was simply stating I've never seen one. Not saying that they don't exist, but that I have not seen one.

Oh, and *reported*
Damn, never meant for a flame war to start!
-Custom Epiphone LP
-Fender DG8S Acoustic
You're the idiot, why would you put a locking nut on a bigsby when you can't lock it at the bridge? It's not meant for more than a shimmer and it's they stay in tune if you aren't crazy with them.

Edit: ^Sorry man, didn't mean to start anything in your thread. All I did was state my opinion, but I guess supreme coffee dork doesn't think that's a good idea.
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by fsae0607
Damn, never meant for a flame war to start!

It's alright dude.

If I were you, I'd delete this thread and start one over. This thread is in trouble.
Quote by imgooley
I was simply stating I've never seen one. Not saying that they don't exist, but that I have not seen one.

Oh, and *reported*

Good observation copernicus. That is why bigsby can't be used like a FR is. It doesn't have the locking nut so it will pull the guitar out of tune if you use it too much during a song or solo.

and *reported*
Quote by CoffeeCup
He isn't fighting. He comes in, says he likes a pedal and the first response he gets is "your equipment sucks." You talk about me causing a problem, the reason you guys have such a "tight knit community" is because you have run everyone off.

We are tight knit, because we don't get involved in other people's ****. If you have a problem with a user, take it up with them in private or with a mod.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Kevin Saale
You're the idiot, why would you put a locking nut on a bigsby when you can't lock it at the bridge? It's not meant for more than a shimmer and it's they stay in tune if you aren't crazy with them.

Edit: ^Sorry man, didn't mean to start anything in your thread. All I did was state my opinion, but I guess supreme coffee dork doesn't think that's a good idea.

Agreed, never had a tuning problem on my Gretsch. It has Gretsch tuners (which I suspect are Grovers).

Gretsch even had a bridge similar to the Gibson style Tune-o-Matic, and they were available on Bigsby-equipped guitars.
-Custom Epiphone LP
-Fender DG8S Acoustic
Quote by LaidBack
We are tight knit, because we don't get involved in other people's ****. If you have a problem with a user, take it up with them in private or with a mod.

I have yet to see a mod.
They're here, they are always lurking....

If not, shoot them a PM. It says you registered Dec. '08. Thats only 5 days max, just chill. We're here for a good time, not for flame wars...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by CoffeeCup
Good observation copernicus. That is why bigsby can't be used like a FR is. It doesn't have the locking nut so it will pull the guitar out of tune if you use it too much during a song or solo.

and *reported*

I know that. You said 'without a locking nut... etc.' which implies that you've seen/used one with a locking nut, which prompted my response.

No need to get catty.
Here is the thing, I will disagree with you guys and everyone gets all butt hurt and begins reporting me like it will make their point right.
Quote by imgooley
I know that. You said 'without a locking nut... etc.' which implies that you've seen/used one with a locking nut, which prompted my response.

No need to get catty.

Which is why I reduced the font on the front page, I figured it was a bit excessive, however thanks to you quoting me and reporting me what I tried to fix was all for not.

And you demonstrated rule 11.
You weren't just disagreeing though...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by fsae0607
Agreed, never had a tuning problem on my Gretsch. It has Gretsch tuners (which I suspect are Grovers).

Gretsch even had a bridge similar to the Gibson style Tune-o-Matic, and they were available on Bigsby-equipped guitars.

How does it play? I'd love a hardtail gretsch, something like malcolm young play. Does his have a bigsby?
Also, to answer the TS- May I suggest some TV Jones pickups for your gretsch?

I'm not too familiar with the G5129, but I assume it's similar to the G5120 and G5122?
"Can't We All Just Get Along???" - R. King

It's cool, I'm not insulted at all. I've spent countless hours in the Pit!
-Custom Epiphone LP
-Fender DG8S Acoustic
Quote by LaidBack
You weren't just disagreeing though...

I told saale that the kid likes the pedal and whether the bassman in guitar center was really a bassman or if it was actually a bassman it is immaterial. Your first reply to a dilemma isn't to poke fun at the dude's gear.
Quote by CoffeeCup
Here is the thing, I will disagree with you guys and everyone gets all butt hurt and begins reporting me like it will make their point right.

I was reporting you because you called me stupid.

Can you please let it go now?
Quote by fsae0607
"Can't We All Just Get Along???" - R. King

It's cool, I'm not insulted at all. I've spent countless hours in the Pit!

4chan.org

survive that, you can survive anything. Also makes you a little more edgy on forums, which is part of my problem.
I tend to overact and these guys get a bit butthurt.
Quote by CoffeeCup

I told saale that the kid likes the pedal and whether the bassman in guitar center was really a bassman or if it was actually a bassman it is immaterial. Your first reply to a dilemma isn't to poke fun at the dude's gear.

Are you that dense? All I said was they don't sound like the real thing. LEARN TO READ

Quote by CoffeeCup
4chan.org

survive that, you can survive anything. Also makes you a little more edgy on forums, which is part of my problem.
I tend to overact and these guys get a bit butthurt.

Please go back, no one wants you here.
Page 1 of 2