Hey guys, I did plenty of searching and got plenty of results. I would like to explain specifically what I'm looking for when replacing my pickup(s) in my Schecter A-7 Diamond Series guitar (tuned B Standard). This is one of many guitar in my collection, I'm looking for it to do a specific thing...

QUESTION:
I'm am looking to achieve the closest 'Metal' tone for basically the 'machine-gun' effect with open or low palm mutes. Bands like Mashugah, Desiel Machine... A very gated (to some stale) 'Dun Dun Dun' sound, that is mechanically rhythmic and usually punching with the kick drum. That's the best I can explain it.

This guitar is really old and I won it so it's not worth much, maybe even a prototype before the real A-7's started coming out. I've got a 7 string 'B' project coming up, I want to get this guitar sounding better and themed for the situation.

A buddy working at Schecter who knows the guitars well, but not the music, simply says, get a High-Output Seymour Duncan and all would be solved. My search results on the boards here recommend every other brand out there from a general recommendation point of view, Seymour Duncan was mentioned a few times. My goal with tone/sound is specif.

Please recommend a pickup(s) for this situation. Thanks for your time!

-Monty
Guitar: Original Parker Fly Classics - Flextone HD - POD
Bass: Schecter Studio 4 - POD XT pro
^Seconded.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

7-String guitars are badass!
no!!! well yes for the chugga chugga punch you in the chest evertime you hit a low chord sound.
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
He named Meshuggah as one of the bands tone he likes, what the **** do you think he wants? Jazz tone?

Also! TS, are you aware that your picking and playing makes the most in that tone. The right pickup won't give you "machinegun picking". You just need to learn to palm mute and pick like a beast so it will sound tight.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

Last edited by phenom1991 at Dec 5, 2008,
Bareknuckles. By far the best way to go. Will eat your emgs for breakfast when it comes to tone and clarity.

Painkillers wouldn't be a bad way to go. The Miracle Mans would be a solid choice as well. Nailbombs might be a little too thick for a mahogany guitar (not really djent material)
Quote by Ibanez20th
Bareknuckles. By far the best way to go. Will eat your emgs for breakfast when it comes to tone and clarity.

Painkillers wouldn't be a bad way to go. The Miracle Mans would be a solid choice as well. Nailbombs might be a little too thick for a mahogany guitar (not really djent material)

Yup and they can afford to take them to lunch, dinner and the movies... Considering how much they cost lol

Dont get me wrong they beat everything hands down but you better hope you have deep pockets...
IMO Meshuggah sounds like a garage door opening.

But if you really want to get that sounds, you should definitely mess around with your EQ and your technique (like phenom mentioned) before you resort to buying new pickups.

The further away from the bridge you are when you're palm muting, the tighter and more trebley the sound.
Stay away from EMGs. Avoid them like the tone plague, because they are.

@ibanez20th - does Bareknuckle make seven-string models? I've never seen any on their website.

You could probably find some nice DiMarzios for a seven-string. They make lovely pickups with a broad tonal palette, so you have lots to choose from.
no
I appreciate the replies, the question isn't about how to play like Meshugah. My guitar sounds pretty bad compared to the many in my collection, and the pickups are the only investment I'm willing to make to help out the situation. And yes, that band isn't very, let's say melodic, which is exactly what I want from this specific guitar... A percussive sound for the math metal that some people love so much... and hate.

I have active EMG's on my Bass which are really hot and over all let's say... acceptable. I have active DiMarzios in my Parkers which sound great to me all around, I've had stock Seymour Duncans in the rest of my Jackson/Metal axes I've had since childhood. This Schecter sounds like crap compared to all of these axes, and it being my only 7 string guitar I've had experience with and it having the 'most dead/dull' tone of all my guitars. It needs help. I want to bring it in the studio to avoid setting up any of my prize guitars in such a drop tuning and the genre is that 'Garage Door Opener Metal'.

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thanks again for your time!

-Monty
Guitar: Original Parker Fly Classics - Flextone HD - POD
Bass: Schecter Studio 4 - POD XT pro
Last edited by Monty_Python at Dec 6, 2008,
Well Meshuggah uses Lundgren pickups right?

Still...practice the technique. My friend has a Bc Rich Bronze Warlock. He can get it to sound killer! Thanks to his EQing and technique....not the damned pickups! I don't care how **** your guitar sounds compared to other guitars. A pickup won't help the matter as much as you seem to think. If you really want that sound i would first try EQing the **** out of it before resorting to using 100s of €€€ on pickups that won't help the matter much. I got a Ibanez with V7/V8 pickups and i manage. I also have a EMG guitar but thanks to my EQing both sound good. This might seem insulting or rude but i just try to help. If all above fails then go for EMG 707 or the 7 string blackouts,bareknuckles whatnot. I would personally go for EMG...i swear by them! There are also the Lundgren pickups who Meshuggah use. They are rather expensive but probably handmade and top quality!
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

Last edited by phenom1991 at Dec 6, 2008,
One of the best machine gunners around... Look up some of his stuff and give it a whirl... Also avid EMG and Blackout user.. Also alot of machine gunners prefer EMG's because of there compressive quality's over say your run of the mill passives

http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=dino%20cazares&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv#hl=en&q=dino%20cazares&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv&start=10

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=17901132
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yup and they can afford to take them to lunch, dinner and the movies... Considering how much they cost lol

Dont get me wrong they beat everything hands down but you better hope you have deep pockets...

Last time I talked to my dealer it was $250 a set. That's not bad at all. especially if you look at Duncan Custom shop or the likes to get the actual model you want.

Yes bareknuckles makes 7 string pickups. They make very single model in 7 or 8 string form for no extra cost. Well the exception is single coils. however if you can get any single coil in the string size you want Tim will rewind it to fit your needs.