Updated

Ended up going very good. The only screw ups were Sasha forgetting the lyrics to For Whom The Bell Tolls and I soloed prematurely on our original thus forcing us to cut out a verse. Other than that, we did awesome! especially for a first gig. they say everybody sandbags their first gig? we didn't. we had screw ups, yea, but we covered them well.

As far as movement goes, I think I did good. I wasn't acting like an idiot or anything, but I was excited enough that I couldn't help from being more animated than usual.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Dec 8, 2008,
wat i'd do is keep eye contact with the guy farthest from the back, that way you can get everyone's attention but u won't feel any pressure coz ur focused on the guy who can hardly see your face. but be animate. make those srv faces and cliff burton headbanging.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
i know how ya feel, i'm very outgoing, but I still havent learned how to play with great energy...I'd say to you, don't worry like crazy bout stage presence, just have fun, and really go for it on solos...people dont hear mistakes if you cover them up quickly, especially if your playing fast...and remember first gig doesnt mean last impression, just make a solid impression and build upon it every time out, this wont make or break ur career...my band just went through our first gig with much less experience and now weve played 5 in the last few months...have had our good times and bad times, but people still love it...when ur an amateaur things dont go perfect, whether its sound problems, feedback, volume issues, drummer losing a stick...its part of not bein a pro haha and not having a road crew and sound crew
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Coke ftw

On topic: don't worry, barely anyone goes nuts at their first show.
Play as much as you can without staring at your fretboard and try your hardest to at least walk around a bit, scream at the crowd, one foot on the monitor. Try and be right at the front of the stage for solos, if you fancy a bit of an extra ego-handjob get down on one knee for them (solos, not handjobs).
Don't make eye contact with the crowd if you're a bit nervous, but look to the back of the crowd so it loks like you're making eye contact.
ohai little sig.
Last edited by Demonikk at Dec 5, 2008,
u used "good" instead of "well" so many times i quit reading it. sorry, that one just gets to me. that and when people use the wrong "their/theyre/there" or the wrong "to/too/two"
anyways, good luck on ur first gig. try not to be too nervous, ur hands will shake and it could mess u up. it did for me when i played the talent show last year at my school

edit: damn, here i was correcting u and i had a typo...

and also, coke kicks pepsi's ass
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Last edited by wicket_nirvana at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by The4thHorsemen
well, my band's gonna be playing a party tomorrow. we're gonna open up with 9 songs, then two other bands are gonna play.

I've been in the band almost a year now, but as far as the current set of band members we've been together for like 8 months, which seems to be a long time to go before our first gig, so I think we're gonna do damn good. We know all the songs extremely good and have been playing them for a long time (except She Hates Me - Puddle of Mudd which we only just thought of doing like 4 days ago, but it's easy as hell so it doesn't matter.)

So, mostly I'm just worried about our stage presence. I'm a little worried our singer might just kinda stand there and not really move around. I think the other guitarist will be fine as he's just a crazy ball of energy. Bassist and drummer I'm not worried about at all cuz they're both cool as hell.

And then there's me, lead guitarist, who should be as attention seeking as the singer... and I'm shy, introverted, etc. I know I can play fine, I'm confident in my soloing, I'm pretty sure I can pull out something awesome... but I am not comfortable at all with headbanging and making funny faces. The past couple of weeks (since we got the gig) I've been putting extra effort into moving around during practice and I've come up with some things to do like in the slides in 'Walk'. But I'm worried that once I get up there I'll throw all that out the window and just kinda stand there and play.

I also feel that I should make an effort to make eye-contact with as many people in the audience as possible and make them feel included, draw them in, etc. but I'm the type that likes to avoid eye contact.....

another problem is I never play the same thing twice in a solo, I mostly improvise it, except on things like Them Bones, Smooth Criminal - AAF, Killing In The Name Of, and For Whom The Bell Tolls. because you pretty much have to stick to the formula on those. I'm kinda worried that on something like Walk I'll merely play something 'acceptable' as opposed to my usual 'oh my god what the fuck just happened!?'

idk what the point of this post is, guess I'm just letting off steam and seeking encouragement.

tl;dr
pepsi or coke?

My first gig was really awkward, part of which is we only played 4 songs, and I didn't have a strap so I was sitting down lol. So it should go pretty good I think, just get into the music. When I play I automatically move and stuff like that.
Quote by wicket_nirvana
u used "good" instead of "well" so many times i quit reading it. sorry, that one just gets to me. that and when people use the wrong "their/theyre/there" or the wrong "to/too/two"
anyways, good luck on ur first gig. try not to be too nervous, ur hands will shake and it could mess u up. it did for me when i played the talent show last year at my school

And since when are you a grammar expert?
ohai little sig.
I played in front of an audience for the first time at my school's talent show and other than jumping 3 inches vertically in place during our little break into Ice Ice Baby, I barely moved at all, but I expect this to come with time. Getting into the music helps a lot. Play music instead of notes. That goes for all guitar playing as well.
coke deinitely, yeah just started a band, i will definitely be feeling the way you do when we play our first gig since i sing and play guitar.. good luck bro!
Quote by Demonikk
And since when are you a grammar expert?

i always do u instead of you cause its easier. and thats spelling, not grammar, they're different. and as for the missing apostrophe, the key on my keyboard sticks and sometimes doesn't get pushed in all the way.
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
things will go wrong, but its nothing to worry about. make sure you know your lyrics, ect.

my first gig, i had to get my floyd rose set up and it wasnt done in time, and i had to rememver lyrics and stuff, but i couldnt do it all so i ahd to use my ****ty sg and i bull****ted half the lyrics

good luck bro
F*CK EMO

thanks everybody, I'll keep all advice in mind. and I do plan on having a couple of beers before hand to loosen up. not enough to effect performance, but enough for me to be relaxed real good

Quote by wicket_nirvana
u used "good" instead of "well" so many times i quit reading it. sorry, that one just gets to me.

two times will make you quit reading? I just read through my whole post and I only used the word 'good' twice. and they were both right at the beginning. and even reading that part and replacing 'good' with 'well' it sounded stupid to me

dont be too concerned if it's ur first gig. when i played my first, we had two songs, one with me playing guitar and singing, and another with me just singing. both times i just kinda stood there and did my thing. lol i was shaking so much that i was afraid that if i moved i would do something stupid. but it turned out fine, and i had friends in the crowd who talked to people after the show to find out opinions for us, and a few said we where the best of the night. and all i did was stand there!
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
"I'm kinda worried that on something like Walk I'll merely play something 'acceptable' as opposed to my usual 'oh my god what the **** just happened!?'"

This quote = concern. Haven't played a gig yet and afraid of solos not being wanky enough? Also sounds like you think you're awesome, which is bad for any guitarist of any skill level.

If this is a major concern to you, you have bigger problems with the gig then. The aim is to play a nice tight set; make a good sound. If your band isn't tight, nobody will care about the fact you made your "usual".

As for moving around, do what feels natural, don't push yourself tomorrow to do what you think you should do. Practice moving around while playing guitar at home and at band practice - slowly you'll get more confident with moving around at gigs.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Demonikk
Coke ftw

On topic: don't worry, barely anyone goes nuts at their first show.
Play as much as you can without staring at your fretboard and try your hardest to at least walk around a bit, scream at the crowd, one foot on the monitor. Try and be right at the front of the stage for solos, if you fancy a bit of an extra ego-handjob get down on one knee for them (solos, not handjobs).
Don't make eye contact with the crowd if you're a bit nervous, but look to the back of the crowd so it loks like you're making eye contact.

I guess i'm not in the barely ( I went TOO insane my first show)

So listen here... Cast all of your regular conventions aside. Do not believe for a second that when you hit that stage you are the same person. envelope your mind in the sound that you are feeling and just go with the groove. Feel the music and just go wild. I suggest watching alot of Who and Hendrix vids so you can understand what i'm saying.

Just stop worrying
As long as you guys are tight as a band, just be natural and feel the music.
Don't worry too much about trying to make yourself act a certain way on stage or your playing will suffer. Just don't look at your fretboard a lot, try to look into the crowd, and just walk around a bit and you will be fine. And as someone already mentioned, putting a foot on the monitor is pretty common. Just roll with it, don't force it.

Pepsi
it should be good. everything will go wrong sometime even if youve played alot of shows. My band just played a pretty big show for us last night and everything went wrong. I broke a string then the tuning nut was jammed on my back up and the drummers crash fell off haha. it was still good though and people liked it so dont worry about it and just do what comes natural on stage.
Your singer will loosen up as the crowd loosens up - I was completely nervous and stuck in a spot when my band had our first gig about a year and a half ago. After a few songs though I realized there was a good reaction and so I loosened up and I actually played better and people reacted even better when I did my solos
Quote by wicket_nirvana

Your grammer is terrible. Im not saying mines great but dont go off topic because he used good instead of well and then type like that^ Thats hypocritcal and makes you look like a douchebag.

To the TS. I wouldnt worry so much about the eye contact and over think everything. If you play like a muther****er thats all that matters. The confidence will rise after you play more gigs and then you will natrually doeye contact or move around more or show off etc.. I think your over thinking it a little its just your first gig at a party man. I would keep things simple and have one goal. Nail all your songs and focus on playing clean and with lots of feeling. The rest will come in time naturally.

"Remember worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but it doesnt get you anywhere." - Van Wilder (stupid movie but good point.)

PS Im not in a band right now but im going to be getting something together as I know a bassist and I finally convinced my friend whos plays drums really well to buy a kit. Im planning on taking things slow and playing together for a long time and get really tight like you did before i do anything. You should be fine that was smart to practice for so long so you know you wont look like jackasses.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Dec 6, 2008,
ok, so it went pretty good for being a first show, I updated the OP

also,

Quote by AlanHB
This quote = concern. Haven't played a gig yet and afraid of solos not being wanky enough? Also sounds like you think you're awesome, which is bad for any guitarist of any skill level.

my solos aren't wanky most of the time, and I don't think I'm awesome. I've been told I am, I don't really believe it. When I feel I need a boost in confidence or whatever, I really try to think of how good I am at guitar, just to get myself ready.
Woah,sounds like a good gig.Congrats!

I remember my first gig, it was really fun and we had pretty good stage presence. Until I f*cked the solo.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
good to hear you had such a positive experience with your first gig. probably a sign of things to come.